Spurs ruining talent?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like everything else in football transfers and squads have become increasingly complex and the process of signing players, keeping people happy, agents, image rights, fitness complexity has all become more problematic. Add to that since the bosman, player power, the world becoming smaller and more choice for players to go and more money in the game and what do you get - a minefield

I am all for more investment in youth development OR getting firmly established players, it seems anything between these stalls is a hot mess

Put it this way, after all the money spent, Man City have fielded 7 or 8 of the same players since 2011, probably pissed away the best part of 400mil and seen no improvement, and they have far more choice than us. Scouting purely horrific.

We don't ruin talent, the "talent" is just overpriced and with the Billionaire clubs and likes of Chelsea able to hold so many players on loan, the standard we can attract is further diminished.

*cough cough* Mangala *cough cough*

Think I rather take Vlad over him.

Like everything else in football transfers and squads have become increasingly complex and the process of signing players, keeping people happy, agents, image rights, fitness complexity has all become more problematic. Add to that since the bosman, player power, the world becoming smaller and more choice for players to go and more money in the game and what do you get - a minefield

I am all for more investment in youth development OR getting firmly established players, it seems anything between these stalls is a hot mess

Put it this way, after all the money spent, Man City have fielded 7 or 8 of the same players since 2011, probably pissed away the best part of 400mil and seen no improvement, and they have far more choice than us. Scouting purely horrific.

We don't ruin talent, the "talent" is just overpriced and with the Billionaire clubs and likes of Chelsea able to hold so many players on loan, the standard we can attract is further diminished.
We increasingly find ourselves having to 'take a punt' on potential. It won't always work out.

We do ruin talent a bit, but the Soldado comparison is ridiculous; he's simply not come even close to being good enough. And Lamela spent the first season injured. Bit petty

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif
that's what I want to do with my lap top at work EVERY DAY!!!

when I read the article in the Standard, I thought Gomez was a wally. His game was littered with monumental errors, and his opinions re Paulie and Soldado were laughable, imo. However if the reporter twisted his account by turning Gomez's opinions into an insult-fest of the club then he can take a running jump.

its levy who does this, the clown is clueless. He brings in players we dont need. Holtby was one of those. This last window we saw stambouli come in only to be relegated to the bench.

I have no doubt in my mind that this club can develop some insane talent. Young players are performing and even overachieving in some aspects. The trouble I see is the players that we buy that just don't hit the ground running. Well established players just perform below standards. We can say the same about United and Di Maria, but he still performs on a above average level. What our team gets sometimes is absolute joke performances and then they just sit on the bench and get worst.
Seeing teammates not passing to Lamela for an entire game last season felt like they just dont trust him YET.
Before we bought Siggurdson he had a good season. For us he performed bellow standars. Look at him now again at Swansea, I'd say he had a pretty decent season.
Why cant we trust newcommer players to become playmakers and our core from the first day?

Dembele went public and said that he was told not to be attacking under AVB. Yet when given the chance to play further forward still does fuck all. Why he can't skip left past a player in the box as he can do in midfield is a mystery. Everyone knows he's going to his left, but he's too strong for you to do anything about it. I watched him in the WC and it's as if he was sussed by Algeria and when he turned to his left they were there in numbers.
Gomes for all his shot stopping ability made a lot of errors. I liked him though but if he was so great why not the offers from top clubs?
Lamela had a back injury his first season & did not play.
Soldado scored most of his goals in Spain from decent service from accurate crosses into the six yard box or great passes to beat the offside trap ( Mata in 2010/11) Those two goals he scored v Tiblisi were an inch perfect pull pack and cross. That's what he does best, finishing with instinct. If he would have had more service like that he would have continued.
However, AT and Chadli can't do that consistently & frankly he was not getting the quality service from either flank or from the middle. He lost confidence, he lost a child. He can finish.
Play inverted wingers and you ain't going to get a lot of quality crosses form the flanks from them. Yet, Walker has never been the best at finding the player from the flanks, & neither has Rose.

Paulinho, well I believe he played too much football before he joined us. He played about 25 league games for Corinthians, did well for Brazil in Con Fed before coming to us trying to adjust to new country, club, team mates, manger, league getting no rest, as we often had to use him in EL, and laying friendlies for Brazils WC preps around the globe.
He doesn't become a shit player overnight, surely. Maybe the break will do him good and we can find a way to get the best out of him.
I don't know.
I'd say if he doesn't go, and I don't think he will, he will have to produce when he plays.

Gomes didn't seem to be that unhappy singing away at the Cantina do Gaúcho with Sandro strumming and Paulinho.
I'd say it would have been a little easier for Paulinho than Lamela in his first season as he had two fellow Brazilians to help him.

Dembele went public and said that he was told not to be attacking under AVB. Yet when given the chance to play further forward still does fuck all. Why he can't skip left past a player in the box as he can do in midfield is a mystery. Everyone knows he's going to his left, but he's too strong for you to do anything about it. I watched him in the WC and it's as if he was sussed by Algeria and when he turned to his left they were there in numbers.
Gomes for all his shot stopping ability made a lot of errors. I liked him though but if he was so great why not the offers from top clubs?
Lamela had a back injury his first season & did not play.
Soldado scored most of his goals in Spain from decent service from accurate crosses into the six yard box or great passes to beat the offside trap ( Mata in 2010/11) Those two goals he scored v Tiblisi were an inch perfect pull pack and cross. That's what he does best, finishing with instinct. If he would have had more service like that he would have continued.
However, AT and Chadli can't do that consistently & frankly he was not getting the quality service from either flank or from the middle. He lost confidence, he lost a child. He can finish.
Play inverted wingers and you ain't going to get a lot of quality crosses form the flanks from them. Yet, Walker has never been the best at finding the player from the flanks, & neither has Rose.

Paulinho, well I believe he played too much football before he joined us. He played about 25 league games for Corinthians, did well for Brazil in Con Fed before coming to us trying to adjust to new country, club, team mates, manger, league getting no rest, as we often had to use him in EL, and laying friendlies for Brazils WC preps around the globe.
He doesn't become a shit player overnight, surely. Maybe the break will do him good and we can find a way to get the best out of him.
I don't know.
I'd say if he doesn't go, and I don't think he will, he will have to produce when he plays.

Gomes didn't seem to be that unhappy singing away at the Cantina do Gaúcho with Sandro strumming and Paulinho.
I'd say it would have been a little easier for Paulinho than Lamela in his first season as he had two fellow Brazilians to help him.

Dembele has a bad attitude, the guy is an utter wasteman. AVB made best use of him and that was in midfield.

The idea that we haven't always helped foreign players acclimatise to their new life in England is an old one, that's always been a difficult thing for some players. Hardly unique to Spurs though. And using the chavs as an example of a club that new signings thrive at... Well, I can think of a few hundred players who might disagree. But it's only something to be criticised in the media when Tottenham do it, of course.

For every Soldado and Paulinho there is a Berbatov and a Modric.

The same with other clubs. Shevchenko for example at Chelsea, but then Costa came in and ripped it up.

Some players just adapt better. You can see why many top players stay in the same league, they're used to it. It makes them happy and who can blame them.

For every Soldado and Paulinho there is a Berbatov and a Modric.

The same with other clubs. Shevchenko for example at Chelsea, but then Costa came in and ripped it up.

Some players just adapt better. You can see why many top players stay in the same league, they're used to it. It makes them happy and who can blame them.

Back
Top Bottom