Spurs Show

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a generational thing.
So you, too, go on about typical Spurs? :D

I think it's not generational as much as it is simply lazy and entitled.

On the one hand, because of the rotating cast on the pod, at least in the past year, not much of a rapport has developed, and the same themes get hit over and over, such that they have descended into a cliché that eats up time on an already short pod… something like #flavisagooner (Phil's new schtick to curse profusely for a minute each pod is similar—funny the first time, but a yawn every subsequent time, like his telling us he's doing an Alan Partidge impression or telling us to try the veal)

On the other hand, the presenters and guests are clearly not interested in deep or sustained analysis of matches or the club. They watch whatever they can and then just shoot from the hip. Last week, iirc, someone was talking about a match after only seeing the highlights on MotD (or was that on TFC?). That kind of incuriousness breeds opportunities for yet more cliché, and there are few better hoary chestnuts than a martyr complex.

In the US, there was a baseball team that hadn't won the championship in 80 years. One hack journalist developed a half-joking theory about a curse that afflicted the team, and it became an easy litmus test for reading baseball journalists. If anyone mentioned the curse or the championship drought, you could skip the article and never read them again… you knew they didn't take the team (or following/analysing it) seriously. I get a similar vibe off the "typical Spurs" whine, which is why I critique it so fiercely whenever I start getting wordy…

I'm surprised I still listen, but what else am I going to do with that half hour? Browse the off topic subforum here?

You know what. you're right. It's a cliche and their conforming to stereotype. We'd probably be accused of happy clapping through our pod.

You already are accused of happy clapping, but that's fine, since there's clearly plenty of room for critical voices on the pod—something that immediately disproves the "happy clapper" sobriquet! Whether the critique is serious (Flav on Dempsey) or not (Flav on Dempsey).

But I think TFC differs greatly in that it tries to be both "just some lads at the pub talking about football" (which is probably how Leigh imagines TSS) and at the same time part of something with a larger purpose. The fact that you have Windy on every week is a testament to that. TSS doesn't care about our players out on loan…

I've read critiques of TSS before that make an issue out of the fact that Leigh is Cornwell's agent, ascribing some kind spurious/money-grubbing motive to the show. And, sure enough, TSS exists in part to make money. It does this directly by having ads, paid subscriptions & app, and events where TSS takes home at least some of the till… And then it makes money secondarily by keeping Cornwell in the public eye, so that people go to his shows / hire him to be in their shows.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that… man does what he does for that cheese… but I'm starting to wonder if the fact that the podcast isn't the end in and of itself hurts it. And since the pod serves other, more important masters, they half-ass it a bit. They talk over each other. They tell the same jokes. They have the same arguments. They do the same impressions. Your pod also isn't an end in and of itself (at least not anymore; I imagine it was for a while last year), but it's a necessary piece of a larger picture into which fit this community, 1882, and the fanzine. All of which make effectively no money. Whereas TSS is a stepping stone to further financial opportunities for the principals (and for many of the guests).

I guess metaphorically, TFC is a piece of a puzzle. TSS is the first link in a chain with who knows what at the other end…

I think the moment I started to detach myself as a listener to TSS was when they said 'we might not be back for another series', I think citing the cost of producing it. You could argue that's no different to us asking for money to tattoo a cock on Dan's backside...and maybe I'm wrong, but don't they record in a studio owned by Leigh? Again, might have the wrong end of the stick here but The Tuesday Club also record there, so do they pay rent for hiring out the studio?

I guess my point was, they didn't have to suggest they wouldn't be back for another series. They should have been transparent. Let's face it, only they can have live shows and have King turn up so they will always, always make money to finance their endeavours.

I think citing the cost of producing it. You could argue that's no different to us asking for money to tattoo a cock on Dan's backside...and maybe I'm wrong, but don't they record in a studio owned by Leigh?
I didn't know that Leigh owns the studio, but it makes sense. And now the FM podcast records there, too. I imagined that the "cost" was always just paying for the engineer, which I would imagine could hit three digits per episode, so I don't begrudge them that.

Playback media lists about a dozen podcasts, of which a handful have had their run (the WC pod, the Euros pod…). I tried to figure out how many of the listed presenters are Leigh's clients, but Leigh's website is astonishingly unwieldy (so unwieldy that I couldn't find Cornwell's profile). Barry Castagnola is his client, I guess… So the project isn't merely one of getting Leigh's clients more exposure.

I think the moment I started to detach myself as a listener to TSS was when they said 'we might not be back for another series', I think citing the cost of producing it. You could argue that's no different to us asking for money to tattoo a cock on Dan's backside...and maybe I'm wrong, but don't they record in a studio owned by Leigh? Again, might have the wrong end of the stick here but The Tuesday Club also record there, so do they pay rent for hiring out the studio?

I guess my point was, they didn't have to suggest they wouldn't be back for another series. They should have been transparent. Let's face it, only they can have live shows and have King turn up so they will always, always make money to finance their endeavours.

They record in mike Leigh's office, he used to own the Tuesday club but they broke away.....his list of podcasts is on www.playbackmedia.co.uk/podcasts

When my dad used to take me to spurs we had season tickets in the west upper. At the time he was relatively good mates with mike Leigh and his crew so we'd usually go and say hi to them at half time in the concourse. He's been an upper west stand merchant for a long time so it doesn't surprise me that he takes certain standpoints. The culture of TFC is a million miles away from his experience of supporting spurs. Like spooky said, it's a generational thing.

Spurs Show aka three/four middle age men all talking depressing shit at the same time. Apparently you can now listen live.....joy.

As a middle aged father quite like the Irish chaps description of trying not to show your kids your sadness when we losing to pure Feckin joy when we win

He seamed sound the rest are tos pots but I still listen don't know why think its because it out earlier in the week
That and I may be dull

Middle aged in the sense of supporting Spurs. Old timers who refuse to let go of the past and judge the present by the same out of date standards.

Back
Top Bottom