Spurs Show

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've only listened to one episode and not sure I even made it all the way through that...

I just like yours for the swearing, it's like when mummy wouldn't let me listen to Eminem, now I'm like fuck you mum I'll listen to Eminem and the fighting cock!

aslackjawedyokel said:
They KEEP TALKING OVER EACH OTHER.
I wish I had never read this. I had noticed this occasionally, but it didn't annoy me. I'm listening to the newest episode right now and it is driving me mental, all the interrupting.

Why ask questions if you know the answers?

Thelonious said:
this is making me stabby!
All I can imagine is that Cornwell has no faith at all in his guests' ability to not ramble, so he provides a running service of summary. If a guest starts to drift, or starts to trip on a word, have no fear, since Cornwell is right there to nudge the fella back onto the rails.

The effect is like when someone being interviewed on the news speaks a language you know but is overdubbed in translation with another language you know. The net result is disorienting and irritating, since it's hard to pay attention to either the original (Chivers) or the translation (Cornwell). No information ends up getting processed, since it's all just disparate chunks without much connection, like trying to eavesdrop on two conversations on the train at once.

I ended up completely zoning out. Probably not for nothing that the parts of the show I remember best are the impressions, since only then is the discourse interruption free.

cutlass said:
On a related note, tried to listen to TFC in the gym. Smiled like a loon throughout, nearly broke my shoulder when I started laughing at an inopportune moment.

Had a similar moment and almost fell down on the treadmill... But it did make 35 minutes of running alot more fun... and exciting...

Brandon Block was on the recent show. Couldn't even remember who Villa scored against and what year that cup final was. For an "avid" Spurs fan in his late fourties, that should not be a problem to remember, no matter how much flake you have stuffed up your nostrils over the years.

P Yiddy said:
Brandon Block was on the recent show. Couldn't even remember who Villa scored against and what year that cup final was. For an "avid" Spurs fan in his late fourties, that should not be a problem to remember, no matter how much flake you have stuffed up your nostrils over the years.
I was almost livid with silent rage at that point.

I fast forwarded most of this episode, first one I've listened to in a while.

I bumped into Brandon Block in Ibiza once.

Judging by the state of him then it's a miracle he's still alive.

I bumped into Case outside a transit van in Brick Lane once.

Judging by the state of him then it's a miracle he's still alive.

So, as luck would have it, the next live Spurs Show at the 100 Club is during my next trip over, so I've booked myself a ticket. Should be good fun and a few legends on hand always helps. Anyone else going?

Heard the one with Micky Hazard on it on the way up to work, no Phil Cornwell, Micky Hazard sounded like a good knowledge on spurs and talked a lot of sense, much better than the 'talking over' episodes. Had Paul Whitehouse who was pretty decent last weeks, think they seem a bit better with just Mike Leigh and no Cornwell...

I feel a bit grubby about saying all that - so to be clear, TFC is infinitely better, funnier, swearier and unhinged, 2 different shows that do 2 different things.

Though who thinks 'TFC live' could work?

Could it even be possible to do a pre-match podcast at the Bell & Hare, would be monstrous but an engineer's nightmare...

TFC Live would be a clusterfuck. We're have to get pissed, 5 minutes of football chat, an hour and a half of bollocks ending with a fight.

Back
Top Bottom