SPURS v MOSCOW ...battle for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just read this from Martin Cloake's tweet
"Champions League regulations meant the stadium (i.e. WHL) didn’t meet requirements and even if rules could have been bent, getting every season ticket holder in would have been a challenge at best. As for members — no chance. So the argument is academic."

Can anyone shed light on this? Why did WHL not meet requirements? Grounds with a lower capacity are often used in the CL.

"Champions League regulations meant the stadium (i.e. WHL) didn’t meet requirements and even if rules could have been bent, getting every season ticket holder in would have been a challenge at best. As for members — no chance. So the argument is academic."

Can anyone shed light on this? Why did WHL not meet requirements? Grounds with a lower capacity are often used in the CL.
Cos its got a great big fucking hole in it

Yep, I don't understand it either. we've still got a bigger capacity than Leicester, not to mention Monaco et al.

I get it would have been tight but I think all season ticket holders could have been accomodated, even if some had to be moved for the uefa family and big sponsorship boards.

There are loads of behind scenes stuff, parking, even how teams/officials rock up to the entrance of the building, lounges made available for FIFA/UEFA "family", probably many more.

The impression I had was that it's all down to the fact that we wouldn't have had enough seats for all our ST holders. Which seems like a slightly dubious claim... I know that we have to give up a bit of capacity to accommodate UEFA's requirements, but there are, what, 5000 seats going to members for each PL match? In the 10-11 season we only lost about 2000 seats from our normal capacity for our home CL games, so that'd still leave 3000 spare seats for members if we'd been at WHL this year. Actually even more than that, when you factor in that away allocations are smaller in the CL than the PL.

Don't think we'll be breaking that record again but still think 75,000+

Although probably the most important consideration is how attendance is calculated. We all know Woolwich report their attendances on tickets sold rather than people who turn up. That's a big factor on a night like tonight. I assume we're going to report them in the honest way, because we're not cunts.

Chap I sit next to at WHL is one of the noveau Champions League or nothing fans, wants us to lose. He has a ticket but isn't going - I know there will be others with that mentality but I guess it's just how many?

Just found out another mate with a ticket who is not bothering so, based on my sample, I revise my own estimate to 68,000!

This utter bollox of an article. Scaremongering, we're in England, there will be a police presence.

Tottenham fan: I'm missing Champions League game because I'm afraid of Russian hooligans

A Tottenham fan says he won't be going to the club's Champions League game against CSKA Moscow because of an "absolutely terrifying" experience with Russian fans at Euro 2016.

The club are in London to play Spurs at Wembley on Wednesday night.

It's the first time a team from Russia has played in England since fans from the two countries clashed in Marseille.

At the time, French police blamed 150 Russian hooligans for violence inside the stadium during a 1-1 draw.

"When that equaliser happened against England, things kicked off," the Tottenham fan tells Newsbeat.

• Who are the Russian Ultras?

How fans feel about Euro 2016 violence

'Overreaction' to Euro 2016 fight says fan

_92854938_eng_rus_2_getty.jpg

The 30-year-old, who doesn't want to give his name, was inside the Stade Velodrome in June.

"It was total panic... there was a Russian in each row and they chased after us," he says.

"You had no escape route.

"We saw guys being punched in the head, we saw women being hit, people with blood on their faces."

_92854940_marseille_1_getty.jpg

French police were forced to use tear gas on several occasions to control days of clashes between fans from both countries in Marseille.

So when Tottenham were drawn against Russian opposition in this season's Champions League, there was the potential for further trouble.

Spurs fans were urged to keep a low profile and not to wear their team's colours when they travelled to play CSKA Moscow in Russia in September.

While no major problems were reported around that fixture, a relatively small number of Tottenham supporters made the trip.

_92854942_cska_tottenham_1_getty.jpg

"There was no temptation for me to go to Russia for that game," says the Tottenham fan.

"I've only been to two live games since that England game actually.

"It's an experience that will stick with me... the stampede of people trying to escape and the violence. It was terrifying."

He says he won't be attending Wednesday's return match at Wembley, where Tottenham are playing their Champions League home games, for fear of further violence.

"I'm going to give it a miss despite having a ticket because I believe there could be trouble."

_92854944_tottenham_wembley_getty.jpg

Tottenham have issued their usual advice for fans ahead of that match.

"As always, we strongly advise all supporters to arrive as early as possible," they say in an article on their website.

While the FA has told Newsbeat they will be issuing advice to fans on social media, it says not to expect security to be any different to normal.

Tottenham have already been eliminated from the Champions League, having already lost to Monaco (twice) and Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

But they'll go into the knockout stages of the Europa League if they avoid defeat against CSKA.

Find us on Instagram at BBCNewsbeat and follow us on Snapchat, search forbbc_newsbeat

Don't think we'll be breaking that record again but still think 75,000+

Although probably the most important consideration is how attendance is calculated. We all know Woolwich report their attendances on tickets sold rather than people who turn up. That's a big factor on a night like tonight. I assume we're going to report them in the honest way, because we're not cunts.

Chap I sit next to at WHL is one of the noveau Champions League or nothing fans, wants us to lose. He has a ticket but isn't going - I know there will be others with that mentality but I guess it's just how many?

I'm guessing about 60,000 are going to bother to show up tonight.

On the bright side at least the queue for Wembley Park won't be so bad.

Think we'll be lucky with 60k tonight tbh, only our real fans will be turning up

Weirdly, if there are that many tickets available, I think it will play into the hands of the 'Johnny come latelys' and 'Selfie stick' brigade... they get to go to a CL game... at a moment's notice, during their 3-day trip to London...
it's the perfect storm for the Mother of all Touristy nights!!

Don't except any songs to get going... we'll spend half the time trying to explain them first to the couple next to us!

Back
Top Bottom