Spurs vs Fiorentina - 19th February

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not ideal having to play 3 days before a final but its durable. Chelsea may struggle having so much time off. I would rather be active , playing games than training for 8 days waiting. Lets wait and see what happens?
Okay, but it turns out that training and preparing for a specific game actually helps, unless you are Ledley King. As does being fresh. All the statistics suggest this as does standard common sense and logic, I hope youre right, but im not optimistic now. Before the game I will be so hyped up I will think we will win 5-0. But that is emotion not logic

The result is always more important than the performance. How many points did 'chemistry' get us last night? How many goals did a 'good performance' get us? If we played like shit and won that game 2-0 I'd be happy.
There you go again, result over performance.

We performed as well as we could, against a very good side. So performance aspect, we can't complain. we couldn't have done any better.

We got the result that the performance reflected. So the result was as good as expected, we can not complain.

Accept it as it is, don't move the goal posts to suit the moan?

I would want to win every game but that is unrealistic.

We can all complain and be negative about the evening and forth coming games but this is non productive and depressing.
We can draw with WHU and get 4th.
We can draw the return leg and go through.
we can draw and still win the CC final.
We can lose/win all three and we (incl me) will be very upset/happy. I'd rather be here experiencing this than not-its the nature of football.
We will bounce back next season-stronger and wiser Im sure.

So basically players are much fitter but cant play as often?

tumblr_inline_n7pa3fXdI01qzqdem.gif
errm - I wasn't trying to make a point. Just shits and giggles.

I think modern players are infinitely fitter than the players back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. But like anything that stretched to the limit, it is more prone to breaking. There is only so much you can wring out of a human body. Hence why players now are so easily out for periods of the season.
Players "back in the day" I think relied more on natural ability and fairly archaic training regimes, where as now its more about finely tuned athletes playing to highly drilled and semi choreographed routines. Notwithstanding, the pace that the game is played at is astonishing in comparison, and the basics of ball control and passing at speed are so much more accurate and clinical. Take a look at the cup final from 62

the game doesn't look so bad in the colour version as its just clips - but find the full match on you tube and watch it - and you will be astonished at how poor the overall game was. I was astonished at how shit Blanchflower looked, but I was judging him by modern standards.

The 67 game looks a lot better, so things had started to improve in just 5 years.

By 81 you are starting to see skills and passing, speed and control that are not too distant from today

In all cases you need to watch the whole game if you can.
To me the biggest difference in the game (now) is that it seems a more joyless game. You could see players actually enjoying what they did, there was less play acting and cheating and as a consequence I think the game was enjoyed more as a spectacle by the fans.
I watched us lose 1-0 at home to the goons in 71 and there was less moaning and inter spurs fans bitching than you get after a draw nowadays. It wasn't that fans were any less passionate, its just that now everyone seems to just expect so much, and the sense of entitlement causes people to go off the deep end when results aren't what they want. From what the ST holders and regulars say about support at the Lane nowadays, I'm almost disinclined to go and pay to watch in future.

Okay, but it turns out that training and preparing for a specific game actually helps, unless you are Ledley King. As does being fresh. All the statistics suggest this as does standard common sense and logic, I hope youre right, but im not optimistic now. Before the game I will be so hyped up I will think we will win 5-0. But that is emotion not logic
We are so far into the season, having played them twice. there isn't much to prepare (tactically) for. Yes there will be some tactical manoeuvring by both managers but this doesn't have to be borne out at the training ground. Its only the energy of the players? which is in question. I feel they are trained athletes and should cope.
I have always been led to believe- they would rather play then train-well they are certainly playing.
I only have one concern which is extra time in Italy, then extra time in the final. The performance required is beyond what players train for.

I think modern players are infinitely fitter than the players back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. But like anything that stretched to the limit, it is more prone to breaking. There is only so much you can wring out of a human body. Hence why players now are so easily out for periods of the season.
Players "back in the day" I think relied more on natural ability and fairly archaic training regimes, where as now its more about finely tuned athletes playing to highly drilled and semi choreographed routines. Notwithstanding, the pace that the game is played at is astonishing in comparison, and the basics of ball control and passing at speed are so much more accurate and clinical. Take a look at the cup final from 62

the game doesn't look so bad in the colour version as its just clips - but find the full match on you tube and watch it - and you will be astonished at how poor the overall game was. I was astonished at how shit Blanchflower looked, but I was judging him by modern standards.

The 67 game looks a lot better, so things had started to improve in just 5 years.

By 81 you are starting to see skills and passing, speed and control that are not too distant from today

To me the biggest difference in the game (now) is that it seems a more joyless game. You could see players actually enjoying what they did, there was less play acting and cheating and as a consequence I think the game was enjoyed more as a spectacle by the fans.
I watched us lose 1-0 at home to the goons in 71 and there was less moaning and inter spurs fans bitching than you get after a draw nowadays. It wasn't that fans were any less passionate, its just that now everyone seems to just expect so much, and the sense of entitlement causes people to go off the deep end when results aren't what they want. From what the ST holders and regulars say about support at the Lane nowadays, I'm almost disinclined to go and pay to watch in future.

"its just that now everyone seems to just expect so much, and the sense of entitlement causes people to go off the deep end when results aren't what they want". Couldn't agree more...

Personally, I don't think this is a good thing. Walker and AT both have terrible delivery and rarely impact the game in an attacking sense. The majority of our goals were to the left of them (Eriksen and Chadli) yet they kept hogging the ball and not crossing when they had the chance. No surprise that Eriksen had his worse game when he barely touched the ball, which was down to those 2.

Chemistry, on its own, is useless. I still prefer the rotating 3 of Lamela-Eriksen-Chadli. Not as 'Hollywood' as AT because a lot of their movement and passing goes unnoticed, but we've not exactly done too bad with that line up.

I get what you're saying but I have to disagree with you there. Both used pace effectively early on to create chances and once the defenders started respecting their speed both AT and walker were able to recognize that and used the space available to work the ball towards the top of the box.
If I'm not mistaken, Chadli's chance off the bar started from their wide play. We can be guilty of trying to force the ball through the middle when teams park the bus against us so it was encouraging to see another dimension added to our attack.
That immediately stopped once Lamela came on. It's not a knock against him at all but I'd like to see if Townsend and Walker can get something clicking in the league. Even if it's Townsend coming off the bench on a more consistent basis.

Agreed mate. Lamela was dreadful. We need an upgrade in that position - Lamela just won't come on..... How much time do we give him?

Yeah, that 15 min sub performance clearly eradicates his performance against Liverpool as well as his other decent performances before that. The lad was only injured half of last season and is on his 3rd manager in England so obviously he is a bust.

Btw, Townsend was solid last night. Lamela's sub was weak but this is hyperbole in its truest form.

He has flashes of brilliance, but looks uncomfortable with the ball most of the time. Maybe, in time, he will adapt to the league's style. I'm sure he'll get a long leash from his fellow countryman Punchy...

I think the players look more tense simply because the stakes are a lot higher. Money is insane and a small mistake can cost a team the season.(Gerrard slip?) I'm not saying that back in the days it was different, but now the media blows everything out of proportion. Same goes for the fans. There's 10+ platforms where fans can bitch, cry and rage at the same time. Back in the days you went to the pub after a bad game, drank a few pints, maybe got in a fight and the next day was a new one. Now you see people discuss the same shit over and over again on forums for weeks. Everything is more connected and amplified by the internet. If something happens, I can read about it on the internet, see it on television, hear about it on the radio, 10 mates will share some shit on facebook, twitter will have a #hashtag running for a week and my friends will send me Vines, photos and videos about it for days.

There is also the price of a ticket. For some people going to a games adds up to around 100quid. This might not be a lot for some, but it is an insane amount of money for others. And when someone spends that amount of money, the subconscious will demand certain thing, hence fans becoming more frustrated.

Second leg is 90mins. We can beat these purple wearing gimps.

Vorm
Yedlin for bants Fazio Chriches for bants Davies
Stambouli Capoue
Townsend Onomah Dembele
Soldado

7-0 Spurs
what does this mean?
are you proposing a 3-2-3-1 formation?
bants? has this now taken on a new meaning, beyond the virtually meaningless one it already has?

Yeah, that 15 min sub performance clearly eradicates his performance against Liverpool as well as his other decent performances before that. The lad was only injured half of last season and is on his 3rd manager in England so obviously he is a bust.

Btw, Townsend was solid last night. Lamela's sub was weak but this is hyperbole in its truest form.

he's in his early twenties mate

look what patience did for the likes of Mason and Kane who are English bread and born
Fair play lads. I came across a bit strong

A player that is capable of scoring a rabona goal like that deserves credit and is worth waiting for a bit more than others. That's my opinion.

I think the players look more tense simply because the stakes are a lot higher. Money is insane and a small mistake can cost a team the season.(Gerrard slip?) I'm not saying that back in the days it was different, but now the media blows everything out of proportion. Same goes for the fans. There's 10+ platforms where fans can bitch, cry and rage at the same time. Back in the days you went to the pub after a bad game, drank a few pints, maybe got in a fight and the next day was a new one. Now you see people discuss the same shit over and over again on forums for weeks. Everything is more connected and amplified by the internet. If something happens, I can read about it on the internet, see it on television, hear about it on the radio, 10 mates will share some shit on facebook, twitter will have a #hashtag running for a week and my friends will send me Vines, photos and videos about it for days.

There is also the price of a ticket. For some people going to a games adds up to around 100quid. This might not be a lot for some, but it is an insane amount of money for others. And when someone spends that amount of money, the subconscious will demand certain thing, hence fans becoming more frustrated.
I might be older than most people on here, but I am exposed to exactly the same level of info overload -
so how come I'm not having shitfits and lashing out at everyone and everything after a poor result?
And no - back in the pre tech explosion days I was just as fucked off for weeks, had piss taking in abundance from everyone that knew I was a Spurs fan and whilst relatively the cost of attendance wasn't so marked, it still represented a good portion of my available cash, particularly as I have always had to travel a long way to get to the games.
The availability of information is massively improved for sure, and the message boards now mean you have likeminded souls to talk to - but how come there has to be so much animosity and anger? Amongst fans of the same team? People on here fall out and insult each other over which fullbacks to select or whether Adebayor was a first pick or not.
Too much anger. We need a few more world wars so people cant vent themselves.
:)

Back
Top Bottom