Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also personally, I feel if the game was at White Hart Lane we don't lose.

Pitch seems too big especially if we are not going to use it properly. I'm sure we will get used to it. We are going to have to.
4 meteres longer 2 meters wider-thats 6 feet at either end and 3 feet either end. I just don't get it with this bigger pitch nonsense? We scored from a corner, a meter longer to reach the box?

All this is nonsense, its all about getting used to playing at a different ground-there are so many factors to consider . For the away team its no different, if anything, its better-its Wembley. The same outcome would have happened at WHL because we messed up. As a team we need to find our form. lets see how we get on when we go to their ground, it will be interesting.

Last edited:
Still not sure how we didn't win that,

We messed up on two occasions and got punished on both (2 shots, 2 goals). Watching the Scum against PSG and the same happened there only PSG only scored the one from around 5 very good chances-they could have been 3/4-0 up. Thats the way it goes. There is no science behind it- just luck on the day. Poch needs to get that energy back and get us creating that luck.

4 meteres longer 2 meters wider-thats 6 feet at either end and 3 feet either side. I just don't get it with this bigger pitch nonsense? We scored from a corner, a meter longer to reach the box?

All this is nonsense, its all about getting used to playing at a different ground-there are so many factors to consider . For the away team its no different, if anything, its better-its Wembley. The same outcome would have happened at WHL because we messed up. As a team we need to find our form. lets see how we get on when we go to their ground, it will be interesting.

Respectfully disagree. But hey, the game is about opinions.

Monaco were shit but clinical. Sloppy first goal, silly second goal. We looked shell shocked. We could (and possibly should) have been 2-0 up ourselves at that point.

Second half we pressured and missed another couple of great chances (KANE!) but they were very sharp with the ball and managed to avoid our pressing with quick, incisive passing. I thought the last 20 minutes it looked like we'd had a man sent off as they've always seemed to have a man spare.

One of the worst games I've seen Dier play. Lamela also poor. Davies looked very average. So did Vertonghen.

Dele excellent. Sissoko bright when he came on, as was Janssen. I'd have liked to have seen him start instead of Kane to be honest.

We can beat them away. Still very confident of qualification.

Agree with most of that but Monaco weren't "shit"!

They are a good side who were clinical and well organised
Not top of the French league for nothing

But we still deserved to win

I also want to apologise for any offence taken by my racist anti French remarks made last night but Robert, whoever he was, really wound me up but no excuse

:walkercry:

Not his goalscoring more work rate. Last season when he wasn't scoring he was running channels, pressing, linking, providing the focal point.

Recently he has looked much slower and less energetic, not sure if he is playing with an injury, tired or what. I'd rather Poch rests him and let's him build up again then we just burn him out. Guy has played a phenomenal amount of games over the past 2 seasons up front on his own as well for England.
At least kane will finally have a summer off next year. Will be a well needed extended break.

Last edited:
4 meteres longer 2 meters wider-thats 6 feet at either end and 3 feet either side. I just don't get it with this bigger pitch nonsense? We scored from a corner, a meter longer to reach the box?

I bet monaco & other teams would much rather play us at wembley than the lane.
& I think it would make an impact on their performance too.

Not his goalscoring more work rate. Last season when he wasn't scoring he was running channels, pressing, linking, providing the focal point.

Recently he has looked much slower and less energetic, not sure if he is playing with an injury, tired or what. I'd rather Poch rests him and let's him build up again then we just burn him out. Guy has played a phenomenal amount of games over the past 2 seasons up front on his own as well for England.

He has played alot but he's an athlete like the rest of them and I'm getting fed up with people saying they need a rest after 4 games of the season as the same crap has been levelled at Dier for needing a rest!

Kane has never had pace and I haven't noticed any lack of energy and feel that, if that were the case, then Poch would have rested him.

If Janssen starts on Sunday then maybe I've got that wrong but I think Kane will start with Janssen coming on later, hopefully when we're three up and the game is over.

I was disappointed with the result last night but optimistic for the season based on our general performance which had its faults in defence and a cpl of missed chances but was generally good!

I wonder if Poch will start with Wimmer over Jan but hopefully Rose will be back soon

Yes those two with their pace wd have made a difference from the off and I thought Sissoko did OK when he came on!

Rose with his pace was a big miss for us

Davies tries but not in same league

The moose is back which is good news and I expect him and Sissoko to start against the Mackems

Really hope so. Janssen too.

Really hope so. Janssen too.
Every time janssen's come on, he has been a handful for defenders.
I think he will turn in to a really useful signing.
Sort of player who will chip in with 10-15 goals a season. He also has a good work rate & links up pretty well with others too.
& he is a great option to bring off the bench when we need a goal.

Without throwing the toys completely out (don't want to lose my happy clapper reputation):
I'm very disappointed about last night. All the focus this morning is on glorious LCFC and there European fairy tale (as opposed to their Thai gang bang fairytale). I felt like we were making a statement last night, and marking our intentions as the soon to be "biggest club in the capital". As often is the case, our performance on the pitch didn't match the hyperbole.

A couple of things that have been floating around my head this morning.

Why do we always seem to bottle it on the big occasions? It may be that i only remember the times when we fuck it up (that clusterfuck against Villa on our 125th Anniversary sticks out, also the Portsmouth FA Cup Semi) but we do seem to struggle with a sense of occasion. So much focus last night on how momentous the occasion was going to be. Did we forget we also had a football match to win? How many times do we need to be brought back down to earth before we realise that we're not always as good as we like to think we are? Comparing Monaco to Stoke beforehand? I doubt Stoke will play a game all season where they're as clinical as that.

Secondly, we do seem to have a habit in Europe of having to fight for results from the bench. Not exactly a weakened side yesterday, but you have to question resting players if you end up having to bring them all on to rescue a game with less time to have any impact.

On the plus side, i cant fault the supporters last night, even on the TV the noise was incredible, all media outlets mentioning how impressive it was to actually have some noise in Wembley for a change.

Lets not get caught up in this "Wembley Curse" nonsense. We have a lot of games to play there.

COYS

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment of changing it up, but it won't happen. Kane and Eriksen were anonymous yesterday.

I wouldn't play Sissoko on the right wing though.
Is sissoko's best position LW or CM?
Didn't think he played on the right.

Without throwing the toys completely out (don't want to lose my happy clapper reputation):
I'm very disappointed about last night. All the focus this morning is on glorious LCFC and there European fairy tale (as opposed to their Thai gang bang fairytale). I felt like we were making a statement last night, and marking our intentions as the soon to be "biggest club in the capital". As often is the case, our performance on the pitch didn't match the hyperbole.

A couple of things that have been floating around my head this morning.

Why do we always seem to bottle it on the big occasions? It may be that i only remember the times when we fuck it up (that clusterfuck against Villa on our 125th Anniversary sticks out, also the Portsmouth FA Cup Semi) but we do seem to struggle with a sense of occasion. So much focus last night on how momentous the occasion was going to be. Did we forget we also had a football match to win? How many times do we need to be brought back down to earth before we realise that we're not always as good as we like to think we are? Comparing Monaco to Stoke beforehand? I doubt Stoke will play a game all season where they're as clinical as that.

Secondly, we do seem to have a habit in Europe of having to fight for results from the bench. Not exactly a weakened side yesterday, but you have to question resting players if you end up having to bring them all on to rescue a game with less time to have any impact.

On the plus side, i cant fault the supporters last night, even on the TV the noise was incredible, all media outlets mentioning how impressive it was to actually have some noise in Wembley for a change.

Lets not get caught up in this "Wembley Curse" nonsense. We have a lot of games to play there.

COYS
It's hard to get the balance right for team rotation. We all have different views on rotation between league & CL games.
Some managers don't rotate & some rotate a lot.
Wenger messed up last season by resting players in the CL & saving them for premiership games. & this is probably his 42nd year of managing in the CL.

It is something poch will have to learn for himself & find his own way of doing things.

I like the idea of rotating 2-3 players but no more than that. & if it was a CL knockout game, I can see how you would be tempted to make no changes & stick to your best 11.

I think if Rose had played we would have beaten them. Davies is an able deputy but he isn't CL class. Him & Verts were poor & we looked vulnerable on our left the whole match. I think Kane is trying too hard, but he was a bit like that this time last year until he hit his stride.
Dele was poor first half, looked a world beater again second half. Glad to see Dembele back. A class act. Bitterly disappointing result in truth but we were by no means outclassed or outplayed by a team who are flying at the moment in their domestic league. The group just got harder to qualify from, but there are lots of points to be had & I think we will be fine.

My observations:
1. Alli and Kane looked slow and disinterested most of the match. Kane not going strong to the ball, especially in the air. Did you see him trying to nod one in and it was 3 feet away?
2. Lamela is having difficulty breaking down a defender 1 on 1. Seems like most of the time he doesn't even get off a decent pass, let alone a threatening shot.
3. Eriksen looked lively.
4. Dembele should have started and that debacle in the 1st half wouldn't of occurred
5. Toby reminds me of a young John Terry. Solid.
6. We sorely missed Rose in the attack.

I certainly hope they turn it around quickly. Must be disheartening to try so hard for top 4 and the CL , and then suffer this shit. I hope it doesn't effect this season's PL efforts.

It's hard to get the balance right for team rotation. We all have different views on rotation between league & CL games.
Some managers don't rotate & some rotate a lot.
Wenger messed up last season by resting players in the CL & saving them for premiership games. & this is probably his 42nd year of managing in the CL.

It is something poch will have to learn for himself & find his own way of doing things.

I like the idea of rotating 2-3 players but no more than that. & if it was a CL knockout game, I can see how you would be tempted to make no changes & stick to your best 11.

Agree. Lineups and Subs in particular are calculated risks on a Manager's part. If they work - the Manager is a genius, if not then they are a fool. But winning a football match hinges on an infinite number of variables (I've actually paraphrased a Wenger quote here i think, kill me now).

We take none of this risk as a supporter (or pundit) and have the benefit of hindsight to pass judgement.

4 meteres longer 2 meters wider-thats 6 feet at either end and 3 feet either end. I just don't get it with this bigger pitch nonsense? We scored from a corner, a meter longer to reach the box?

It is a massive difference mate.
Pat Nevin analysis: Do bigger pitches lead to late goals?

Every time janssen's come on, he has been a handful for defenders.
I think he will turn in to a really useful signing.
Sort of player who will chip in with 10-15 goals a season. He also has a good work rate & links up pretty well with others too.
& he is a great option to bring off the bench when we need a goal.
We should play him from the start. Even if he doesn't score, his work rate and hold up play is fantastic. He also works over the CB's which should created 2nd ball opportunities for AM's. (Kane was fantastic last year with his hold-up play and work rate when he wasn't scoring) from what I have seen of him so far he would be no worse than Kane at the beginning of last season, right now Kane offers nothing, no work rate, no pressing, poor hold-up play (not bringing anyone else into game).

Back
Top Bottom