Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great for TOB if true, a Championship loan with a manager that knows and trusts him - TOB was probably the "go to" midfielder for E u17s at u17 WC which they won.

Gets TOB out of the rut he has got into and could well be the naming if him.

I hope this works out but I really cannot see that he's anywhere near good enough for Championship football right now.

I hope this works out but I really cannot see that he's anywhere near good enough for Championship football right now.

Lots of Championship clubs seem very interested though.

Would certainly have been a less risky approach to get him a loan until Jan in League 1 and see how he gets on. But if Swansea whose manager was his U17 manager or Leeds with Bielsa might both be excellent choices as both managers know young players.

Thought he was one of our highly rated prospects. At 19 you'd think he'd be ready for the leap?

Certainly was, in addition to being the 'go to' midfielder in E u17 world cup winning side he went on and played well in Spurs pre-season 2017, and looked to be heading for the sort of season that Skipp did last season.

However at the start of 17/18 he picked up an injury and had a series of minor injuries throughout the season (maybe effect of going from youth training to the more intensive first team training ?) and whilst training with first team that season made only one short appearance and made no u23 appearances. Injured again towards start of 18/19 he made a number of appearances for u23's but not at same level as he was before.

Think everyone, including WindyCOYS WindyCOYS would agree he needs a new challenge (he's beyond u23 football now), just a question as to whether he would be better at League 1 to rebuild confidence or Championship.

Think everyone, including WindyCOYS WindyCOYS would agree he needs a new challenge (he's beyond u23 football now), just a question as to whether he would be better at League 1 to rebuild confidence or Championship.

I would say Championship at a side like Swansea, with a manager he knows is a good option. When you hear about how Harry Kane talks about his time at Millwall, the added pressure of the environment at some of the League 1 clubs, might make it tougher, than a Championship club.

I was wondering what your take on this was, someone like Onomah has been grossly mismanaged by the academy and Poch, the fact he was played out wide hurt his confidence and hung him out to dry a bit

Such a difficult analysis to make - quite possibly all those things, but I do wonder if Onomah like a number of good young players before him found himself getting a (for him) huge wage packet and a lot of adulation at a young age and maybe didn't apply himself as much as he could have done.

Certainly didn't understand him being played out wide continually ,- yes for a few matches at the start of his career it's a place to show him first team football I an area with less pressure and where any mistakes are not critical, but after a few matches, he would have been played as s cm ( if Poch still had confidence) or dropped back to training with first team and given instruction in what he needed to do to lay as s cm in PL. Fyi you may recall Kane played about half s dozen of his first games at Millwall on the wing before being moved to he centre, seemed to have worked for him !

Just an opinion piece but nevertheless...

Josh Onomah is not training. He is looking for another club. His attitude was patently obvious when he seemed to be going through the motions for us. He wasn't of course but that shouted that he had stopped improving and thought he had made it.

This is a huge problem when youngsters get more money than most people earn, the motivation goes, they feel they can go through the motions or believe they have the skill so just need to train, rather than constantly strive to improve. That constant striving and doing what it takes to achieve it is what a winning mentality is all about.

Those with a winning mentality understand and can see the difference, those without one don't see it, they think trying to win games is a winning mentality, it isn't.

Such a difficult analysis to make - quite possibly all those things, but I do wonder if Onomah like a number of good young players before him found himself getting a (for him) huge wage packet and a lot of adulation at a young age and maybe didn't apply himself as much as he could have done.

Certainly didn't understand him being played out wide continually ,- yes for a few matches at the start of his career it's a place to show him first team football I an area with less pressure and where any mistakes are not critical, but after a few matches, he would have been played as s cm ( if Poch still had confidence) or dropped back to training with first team and given instruction in what he needed to do to lay as s cm in PL. Fyi you may recall Kane played about half s dozen of his first games at Millwall on the wing before being moved to he centre, seemed to have worked for him !
I remember Kane playing as a CM as well for Millwall and it worked but then I watched him play on the wing for Leicester and he was terrible especially when Woods and Nugent were the front two

Trialist as GK even though we have too many youth GK s atm - maybe possible 3rd GK for first team on. Trial

Wonder if Reynolds (trialist) is same as we let go in summer after a season out injured ?

No real surprises in squad, although with over 30 in development squad there are quite s few missing !

Trialist as GK even though we have too many youth GK s atm - maybe possible 3rd GK for first team on. Trial

Wonder if Reynolds (trialist) is same as we let go in summer after a season out injured ?

No real surprises in squad, although with over 30 in development squad there are quite s few missing !

Another GK?? :confused:
Pic of Jamie Reynolds in the new training kit so odds on it's him and hopefully he can prove his fitness.

Any stream?

It seems like the goalkeeper is 23 year old Edward Smith, formerly of Southend United. Chances are being 23 that we are looking a thing him as a potential 3rd choice goalkeeper.

It seems like the goalkeeper is 23 year old Edward Smith, formerly of Southend United. Chances are being 23 that we are looking a thing him as a potential 3rd choice goalkeeper.

An odd one. Only 26 appearances for Southend but injured most of last season and got 19 of those appearances 2 seasons ago.

One time E u20 player. Got subbed after 45 mins with a few others. Will need to see if he is involved in next u23 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom