Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting that he's the 2nd u15 (next year u16, Academy Year 1 in 2021/22) to have a 3 year academy scholarship awarded to him, first time Spurs have done these.

Like Alfie Dorrington, Luke Gunter has played for E u15's, this time as GK.

If we are signing up 'the cream' of that year group, other names to look for who might get a similar 3 year scholarship now are probably Brandon Bryan-Waugh (E u16 CB), Tom Bloxham (E u15 midfielder), Owen Riley (E u15 CAM) and Jamie Donley (E u15 and N Ireland u16 striker).

I mooted this a long time ago over on SC and was met with predictable (and maybe understandable scorn) but I wouldn't mind seeing KWP given a go at playing the 6 role.

He has the skill set, and there is a history of RB/6 hybrids. Kimmich for example, and Fabinho is another, and going back to Perryman as well.

He's got decent technique under press - ie he's quite press resistant. He's dynamic, great engine, technically decent on the ball and can move with it. He is tenacious, his weakness is aerial duels, but in Cm, less of an issue.

Skipp I like a lot. I think it's a crime he's not been given more game time, whilst we watch donkey's like Sissoko and Dier trundle around our midfield.

Winks is a likeable chap, lots of good intentions and on his day a decent little footballer who can do various things quite well, but doesn't really do anything brilliantly - especially without the ball.

As one dimensional as someone like Marsh is, I think he's better defensively, reads danger and reacts to it better, and is more dynamically tenacious - better at winning the ball than Winks - and I think that is a skill set we need much more to sit between Ndombele/Lo Celso than Winks'.

Be great off someone like Skipp, who is tenacious and dynamic, but can also play some decent football, could do the job, I'd love to see him given a run of games in a 433, but failing that, I'd not mind seeing Marsh sit between two quality 8's just doing simple hunting and gathering and laying it off simply.

Still not convinced, Marsh is a pretty basic player and not I think one with a long term future at Spurs. Think his ceiling might be like Livermore but he's a long way even from that level yet.

I'd prefer to give a youngster experience over someone without a longer term future, so I'd suggest Skipp with some appearances from White or Bowden (both of whom offer more than Marsh), but still wouldn't rule out Winks - we need a DM who can pass as well as defend (which may be from interceptions and reading game rather than just tackling, hence links with Hojbjerg).

One place we may be short atm is RB, so it might be that Mourhino looks at Marsh in that role for the rest of this season.

Talking of 'role', Marsh was on loan at Maccelsefield and Roles at Cambridge, both in League 2 whose season has been declared void. In the normal way players returning from loan are not eligible to play for their parent club when they return from loan (I think) but that might not be the case with the season being declared void (I haven't seen anything on that), but point is that either both Marsh and Roles are eligible to play for Spurs this season or neither.

Mins aren't always the best outlier as can be collected by say only one player (and that player could now be 33yrs old and broke through over a decade earlier e.g Mark Nobel!!) and don't reflect a funnel of players knocking at the door of first-team but thought I'd post nonetheless.

EaDwuUeWAAAolUj

Youth watchers - how good is Lusala?
Very promising at the moment, remembering he's 17 and sometimes things change as they get older (as I'm sure you know). Plays RB/CB/DM atm.

I'd suggest he, Max Robson (AM) and Nile John (CM/AM) have probably looked as the best 3 in Academy Year 1 so far, worth recalling though that some of this year group haven't played that much as u18's dominated by Academy Year 2 players due to size of u23 squad.

Dermi Lusala has looked very good, even verging on excellent, when played, (mainly as RB) think he made about 20 appearances for u18's vast ,majority as starts so he was one of the players who made the most appearances from Academy Year 1

Also found this write up from Derry Lennon, who tends to be very positive about most players, nothing too different to what I said, but a little more detail.

Dermi Lusala: Edmonton born and formerly of West London club Brentford, skilful fullback Dermi Lusala has represented England’s under 16 side in the past. Lusala who primarily operates at right back, but who is also able to play at left back and RCB as he demonstrated well during the season just gone. During his first year of scholarship at Spurs Lusala was one of the standout players for Spurs’ under 18 side. The 17 year old who made his competitive debut for our under 18’s the previous season in a league game against Chelsea, was dominant at right back for Matt Taylor’s side during the 2019/20 season. Lusala made an impressive 19 appearances (chipping in with three assists) for our under 18’s plus an additional four for our under 19’s in the UEFA Youth League where he played well despite being one of the youngest members of the side. Putting in sterling attacking and defensive performances against the likes of Southampton, Fulham, Leicester City and Liverpool, Lusala impressed me with his good balance, silky skills, speed, anticipation and his committed defending. The attacking fullback loves to get up and down the pitch and he is more than capable of beating players and going on long surging runs. Lusala was an extremely reliable player during the 2019/20 campaign and had the season have been completed he would have more than likely stepped up to make his competitive debut for Wayne Burnett’s under 23 side before the season would have been ended. Earlier on in the season Dermi was featured in The Guardian’s Next Generation series 2019: 20 of the best talents at Premier League clubs.

Point is that whether both Marsh and Roles are eligible to play for Spurs this season or neither.
Marsh was at Orient.
I doubt if Jose would be involving Marsh with the 1st team if he were ineligible but that is a good point.
KWP needs to be nasty or he just won't make it unfortunately IMO.

Marsh was at Orient.
I doubt if Jose would be involving Marsh with the 1st team if he were ineligible but that is a good point.
KWP needs to be nasty or he just won't make it unfortunately IMO.

Agree in principle, but wondered if Mourhino was short of a RB to play, and given Marsh has a year left on his contract (I think), and despite any uncertainty as to whether he is eligible to play in he remainder of the season, played Marsh as he was thought to be the best alternative available who is fit, so made the squad off 22. Good chance for Mourhino to assess whether he thinks Marsh has a longer term future at Spurs.

If it were only one Spurs team playing the obvious alternative to Aurier would be Sissoko or Tanganga (KWP being on loan to Southampton) but filling both teams stretches the first team squad. The other alternatives might have been Tariq Hinds or Jubril Okedina if either u23 is fit enough or Jamie Bowden who is a CM/DM can also play RB, but as he's not been seen in first team training I am guessing he is injured or not fit as he is rated at pretty much the same level or maybe half a notch behind the left footed Harvey White.

A few interviews with youngsters :

''He has had a prolific debut season for the U18 Spurs side so far notching 10 goals in just 14 games.

At 6,4ft Etete boasts a strong aerial presence and showcases great strength on the ball. His impressive close control and pace, sets him apart from the stereotypical tall strikers, like Llorente who featured in Spurs’ Champions League run.''

Skinner, a young CB and DM, was recently awarded his first professional contract.

Kurylowski, a goalkeeper who represents Poland, has been the main u18 goalkeeper for Spurs u18's this season

Good to hear that Dennis Cirkin (age 18) was involved in the first team friendly match v Norwich yesterday, albeit possibly only for a few minutes though as the report said he came on in the 4th 30 minute segment of the game, along with Harvey White also age 18 (who played in a number of last pre season games) and George Marsh age 21 (who played in a number of 2017 pre-season games).

Shame the Reading game today was cancelled, apparantly by Reading, as otherwise think Cirkin might have got more minutes.

Last edited:
Might be a problem with Georgiou. Don't think U21 players have to be registered in the 25 man squad to be able to play

Georgiou is now 21 so would need to be registered but as we have gaps in our 25 man squad for HG players, don't think that matters as we can him into fill a gap.

However not sure if the rule saying he cannot come back off loan and play for his parent club in the same season has been relaxed or not.

Georgiou is now 21 so would need to be registered but as we have gaps in our 25 man squad for HG players, don't think that matters as we can him into fill a gap.

However not sure if the rule saying he cannot come back off loan and play for his parent club in the same season has been relaxed or not.

He's actually 23 so if registration is closed, as it would usually be at this time, he won't be eligible

He's actually 23 so if registration is closed, as it would usually be at this time, he won't be eligible

We can add free agents at any time (not that Georgiou is a free agent), but its a good way to show registration period is not actually ever completely closed, its just few players are eligible to join outside a window.

Its whether the rule that he can't return from a loan to be eligible to play for his parent club has been relaxed or not - would be same for Marsh who returned from loan yet been playing in the friendlies and I assume that if he's playing friendlies Mourhino thinks he can play for rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom