Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is Divine, where does he play for Spurs. Watching this England team I can’t figure out what he is? I’m guessing he’s more of an 8 normally?
Mostly been playing AM for Spurs with a few games on the left. For England he's played in the centre and on the left and right. When we bought him he was more of a box to box midfielder but the club have been using him as more of a number 10 behind Dane/Donley

Gloch scored for Israel. What's the spiel on him?
Very talented. Jumped to the senior squad of Maccabi Tel Aviv with instant impact. Local media reports Ajax and BVB are sniffing hard with a valuation of 5-10m.
I actually thought Israelov and Lemkin at CB were excellent and are worth a gamble.

Devine has talent but he needs good midfielders around him to do his thing. Scarlett idk… I saw him throughout the tournament but unlike Devine I’m not positive he has a successful senior career ahead of him. It’s really difficult with strikers. I think he needs a structured integration with successive league one and championship loans as he’s not ready for our senior squad.

Other than that I think this England team is much less talented than 2017 with Foden and cunt-Rowe. Italy and France had more raw talent on paper

What's the deal with Sonny Perkins what level of talent is he?
Yup. What do our experts who follow youth football think?

The initial reports I saw listed Perkins as a striker, which made me concerned about potentially blocking the likes of Dane Scarlett. Personally, I hope Conte looks closely in pre-season at Scarlett, Parrott & Etete (given Antonio's track record in massively improving target men), and keeps the most impressive one around as squad depth.

Anyway, on Perkins, I see wiki has him as an AM, which suggests he would be competing with the likes of Alfie Devine if we signed him.

Sonny Perkins - Wikipedia

Yup. What do our experts who follow youth football think?

The initial reports I saw listed Perkins as a striker, which made me concerned about potentially blocking the likes of Dane Scarlett. Personally, I hope Conte looks closely in pre-season at Scarlett, Parrott & Etete (given Antonio's track record in massively improving target men), and keeps the most impressive one around as squad depth.

Anyway, on Perkins, I see wiki has him as an AM, which suggests he would be competing with the likes of Alfie Devine if we signed him.

Sonny Perkins - Wikipedia
The Swellhead Spur The Swellhead Spur

I think he's an AM who can play striker.

So as AM/no 10, Perkins could compete with Devine (who can also play CM)

But Perkins could also compete with strikers too - given Jamie Donley can also play both as a no 10 and as a striker the two could also play together rather than competing. Equally with Jadon Wlliams both playing as a striker and winger Perkins could probably play with him.

With Parrott, Etete and Scarlett probably on loan next season, if Perkins joined I think we'd see him and Donley playing u21's with Williams playing u18's. Unless of course Perkins was loaned out or included in Spurs first team squad - Perkins has been Wham's star player in u21's the season just gone (Perkins is roughly a year older than Donley) so might not want to move for just u21 football.

Perkins is about same age as Scarlett, but whilst Scarlett has played a year up for E u19's, Perkins has been playing/starring for E u18's

The Swellhead Spur The Swellhead Spur

I think he's an AM who can play striker.

So as AM/no 10, Perkins could compete with Devine (who can also play CM)

But Perkins could also compete with strikers too - given Jamie Donley can also play both as a no 10 and as a striker the two could also play together rather than competing. Equally with Jadon Wlliams both playing as a striker and winger Perkins could probably play with him.

With Parrott, Etete and Scarlett probably on loan next season, if Perkins joined I think we'd see him and Donley playing u21's with Williams playing u18's. Unless of course Perkins was loaned out or included in Spurs first team squad - Perkins has been Wham's star player in u21's the season just gone (Perkins is roughly a year older than Donley) so might not want to move for just u21 football.

Perkins is about same age as Scarlett, but whilst Scarlett has played a year up for E u19's, Perkins has been playing/starring for E u18's
Thanks, very informative.

I suspect we need to get Devine to sign a long term contract asap. There was an interview during the EU19 campaign where he was talking about the benefits of experiencing training in a 3-4-3 system under Conte, so hopefully we can provide a clear enough pathway to first team opportunities.

Then sign up Perkins, because at their age you never know for certain who's going to make it.

On the other point, IIRC Kane's breakthrough season was when he was third choice behind Adebayor & Soldado. Now ,with the ability to use 5 subs, and the likelihood both Kane & Richarlison will have long World Cup campaigns messing up their club season, I think we need to keep a young player around who can play as a central striker / focal point in an emergency.

Whether the best player for that squad depth striker role is Scarlett, Parrott or Etete, I leave to Conte. And of course we also need to consider what is best for each player's development.

Btw Conte probably hasn't seen much of Etete in training because he was loaned out last season, but we know how much he loves big, physical, target men.

Heard today that Sonny Perkins' parents both ST's at Spurs, the whole family Spurs mad?

Hopefully if he moves there's head as well as heart in it. Surely no one sensible would move to a club just because you supported it as a kid

Heard today that Sonny Perkins' parents both ST's at Spurs, the whole family Spurs mad?

Hopefully if he moves there's head as well as heart in it. Surely no one sensible would move to a club just because you supported it as a kid

Perkins was at Orient before going to Wham at u16 level in 2019 and then signed up for Academy scholarship for 2 years - so if he comes to Spurs its probably more than just he's a Spurs supporter

Perkins was at Orient before going to Wham at u16 level in 2019 and then signed up for Academy scholarship for 2 years - so if he comes to Spurs its probably more than just he's a Spurs supporter
The tribunal compensation fee will be interesting because Perkins only made one sub appearance for the spammers.

He has played for England at U15, 16, 18s a/c to wiki.

Presumably spammers didn't play him in the second half of the season because he wouldn't sign a professional contract. And that lack of 1st team may cost them a lot of dosh in compensation.

The tribunal compensation fee will be interesting because Perkins only made one sub appearance for the spammers.

He has played for England at U15, 16, 18s a/c to wiki.

Presumably spammers didn't play him in the second half of the season because he wouldn't sign a professional contract. And that lack of 1st team may cost them a lot of dosh in compensation.
made a couple of EL appearances as well - not sure which appearances count in the compensation calculation.

What's the deal with Sonny Perkins what level of talent is he?

I saw him play twice for West Ham as one of two strikers. Two very underwhelming and none performances

Prior to that I’d watched him twice for England’s U18s, playing LW, where he kinda stood out. Compared to his peers he just looked a lot more powerful in his running. Don’t know what he’d say himself as preferred position, but seems he could do a job wider. Left footer so that Kulu role might fit like a glove. If he’s not looking for silly money we should definitely offer him a contract

Guess we couldn’t even send him on loan if we wanted him club trained in the future?

What is Divine, where does he play for Spurs. Watching this England team I can’t figure out what he is? I’m guessing he’s more of an 8 normally?

Yes, natural 8. Good awareness and I’m impressed with his understanding of finding space at such a young age. His biggest problem, as I see it, is a lack of physicality. It’s a real shame if we aren’t giving him a loan due some HG rules, he could really do with regular men’s football

If you’re really really bored, there’s an old friendly against Germany

Playing alongside our own Nile John, lesser footballer but a better athlete

Yes, natural 8. Good awareness and I’m impressed with his understanding of finding space at such a young age. His biggest problem, as I see it, is a lack of physicality. It’s a real shame if we aren’t giving him a loan due some HG rules, he could really do with regular men’s football

If you’re really really bored, there’s an old friendly against Germany

Playing alongside our own Nile John, lesser footballer but a better athlete

He is only 18 now, and has already completed 2 years with us. So just one more year before he is 21 will give him Club Trained status. A loan this coming year wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks, very informative.

I suspect we need to get Devine to sign a long term contract asap. There was an interview during the EU19 campaign where he was talking about the benefits of experiencing training in a 3-4-3 system under Conte, so hopefully we can provide a clear enough pathway to first team opportunities.

Then sign up Perkins, because at their age you never know for certain who's going to make it.

On the other point, IIRC Kane's breakthrough season was when he was third choice behind Adebayor & Soldado. Now ,with the ability to use 5 subs, and the likelihood both Kane & Richarlison will have long World Cup campaigns messing up their club season, I think we need to keep a young player around who can play as a central striker / focal point in an emergency.

Whether the best player for that squad depth striker role is Scarlett, Parrott or Etete, I leave to Conte. And of course we also need to consider what is best for each player's development.

Btw Conte probably hasn't seen much of Etete in training because he was loaned out last season, but we know how much he loves big, physical, target men.

Back
Top Bottom