Spurs Youth 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally doubt it, my money would be on 6 - 10 including a couple of u18's who have looked very poor.

Luton, Newcastle and Notts Forest have also named released players, so the only question is whether Spurs wait until all clubs details released by PL mid June or we release details before that
Ex Spur, Jordan Hackett was one of those released by Newcastle. He is 20 now, once quite highly rated in our under 18s.
Another one of ours, Omari Forson, has refused a new contract at Man Utd.

Ex Spur, Jordan Hackett was one of those released by Newcastle. He is 20 now, once quite highly rated in our under 18s.
Another one of ours, Omari Forson, has refused a new contract at Man Utd.

Spurs are likely to release a former E u16 international, Billy Heaps, this time round too - for whatever reason(s) quite a few youngsters who look good at a (relatively ) early age do not look as good a few years later : sadly it happens. So the youngsters move on either in the game or onto a new career.

Same thing can happen in later life too - Espen Baardsen was a decent gk for Spurs although not quite elite making over 20 first team appearances for us, getting a few caps for Norway before trying his luck at Watford and Everton but again never quite good enough to become number one. So he retired from football aged about 25/26, now an asset manager making a fair amount f money in a career which might last 30 or 40 years ( v 10 or 15 years for a footballer), so he made the right choice.

Forson was/is very highly rated but left Spurs for ManU for more money, more playing time and playing for 'a bigger club'. Now appears to be trying to repeat that, but that doesn't always work. As an example Gerrard's nephew , Bobby Duncan, changed club a few times whilst an E youth international, including joining Liverpool based upon his relations and then leaving it : now stuck at Spanish club Linens and unlikely too many English clubs will be that interested again due to his antics.

St Albans match clashes with first team's QPR match on 20 July.

Could be a juggling act if we are right that many of last season's u21's will go out on loan, it would make sense for them to play with first team (if Ange wants them - and I think any first team involved in internationals will still be away., whilst those leaving probably will not be involved ...... so Ange will need some u21's to make up yhe squad.

That would then allow the team/squad to play St Albans to be the u21 team likely to play next season which is likely to have a number of players moving up from Academy Year 2 to next season's development squad.

Last edited:

Ouch ! A much shorter list than I had expected.

That implies that players such as Maguire, Krasniqi, Linton, McKnight, Simon’s Andiyipan, Cassanova and Williams have contracts until 2025, most of them I had expected to leave this summer whilst 3 of the 4 departing I would have considered staying over most of those I've listed as staying.

It must mean both a large u21 squad next season (with 10 or 11 youngsters from this season's Academy Year 2 being promoted to Development squad) plus the ones I've listed above together with more u21's being loaned out than I was expecting (and I was expecting maybe 10 loaned out !)

Is there a chance of a second wave of releases post the 30th?

As you probably recall, PL publishes a list of the entire squad showing who is in contract, those with offers made but not accepted in theory as at 30 June but often mid June.

Those with contract offers made but not accepted might well be released post 30 June if player declines offer - and no money changes hands..

Those listed as being in contract would usually mean they are in contract until June 2025, so for a player to leave it usually means either they are going to a different club or Spurs need to pay them to leave (which seems unlikely ?)

The leavers list is very short, and I do wonder if its because the club now realises maybe 4 or 5 of this years Academy Year 1 (out of 11 in that year group, so a high proportion and mainly defenders) are not up to scratch and are keeping on some who might be leavers as they are better than the 4 or 6 academy year 1 ? It might also mean more players being loaned out than expected, but with the numbers being unexpectedly retained I think its a decision driven mainly by the year 1 issue .

Just my opinion of course.

Is there a chance of a second wave of releases post the 30th?

On further reflection it might be worth waiting to see the retained list before coming to a firm conclusion - Simons (Academy Year 2) has never made an u18 match squad and Krasniqi I think has only made one appearance so it seems very strange if both are staying on under pretty much any circumstances - unless both have managed to wangle a 3rd year academy scholarship or a pro contract but the grounds for either sems tenuous.

Just to put today's announcement into perspective, this is the enlarged Development Squad currently expected for 2024/25 - totalling 39 players !

Goalkeepers (4)
Aaron Maguire, (25/07/2004)
Luca Gunter (23/03/2005)
Carey Bloedorn,
Elliot Krasniqi

Defenders (11)
Tyrell Ashcroft (RB)) (7/07/2004)
William Andiyapan (LCB/LB) (25/03/2005)
Max Mcknight (RB/RW) (8/10/2004)
Jahziah Linton (LB) (30/11/2004)
Alfie Dorrington (CB) (20/04/2005)
Pele Arganese-McDermott,
Archie Baptiste Chaplin,
Maeson King,
James Rowswell,
Zach Simons.
Leo Black,

Midfielders (5)
Nile John (CM/AM), (06/03/2001)
Rio Kyerematen. (CM) (09/06/2005)
George Abbott, (CM/RB) ( 17/08/2005)
Dante Cassanova (CM) (21/05/2004)
Tyrese Hall,

Forwards (9)
Yago de Santiago Alonso (AM), (01/01/2003)
Max Robson (AM) (17/10/2002)
Jamie Donley, (no 10/striker) ( 03/01/2005)
Jaden Williams, (Winger/striker) (06/08/2004)
Will Lankshear (Striker) (20/04/2005)
Jude Soonsup-Bell, Striker (10/01/2004)
Damola Ajayi,
Yusuf Akhamrich,
Oliver Irow

Loaned out 23/4 (10)
Alfie Devine CM/AM ( 01/08/2004)
Troy Parrett Striker (04/02/2002)
Dane Scarlett, Striker, ( 24/03/2004 )
Josh Keeley (GK), aged 20.,
Ashley Phillips (CB), aged 18,
Matthew Craig (Mid), aged 20,
Alfie Devine (Mid), aged 19,
Lucas Bergval (Mid), aged 18,
Troy Parrott (striker), aged 21, Excelsior
Alejo Veliz (Striker), aged 20, Sevilla

Retained List :

Contracts​

Abbott, George Benedict
Ajayi, Oyindamola Oluwatobi Peter
Akhamrich, Yusuf
Andiyapan, William
Arganese-McDermott, Pele
Ashcroft, Tyrell
Austin, Brandon Anthony
Baptiste, Archie
Bentancur, Rodrigo
Bissouma, Yves
Black, Leo Amarri John-Baptiste
Bloedorn, Carey Brian
Cassanova, Dante Jamel
Craig, Matthew George
Davies, Benjamin Thomas
De Andrade, Richarlison
De Santiago, AlonsoYago
Devine, Alfie Sean
Donley, Jamie Paul
Dorrington, Alfie Terry Charlie
Dragusin, Radu-Matei
Egan-Riley, Roman Jay
Forster, Fraser Gerard
Gil Salvatierra, Bryan
Gunter, Luca Jackson
Hall, Tyrese Shaun
Heung-Min, Son
Hojbjerg, Pierre Emile Kordt
Irow, Oliver
James, Herbie George
John, Nile Omari McKenzie
Johnson, Brennan Price
Keeley, Josh
King, Maeson Bradley
Kulusevski, Dejan
Kyerematen, Rio
Lankshear, William
Leite De Souza Junior, Emerson Aparecido
Linton, Jahziah
Lo Celso, Giovani
Logan, Calum Reece
Maddison, James
Maguire, Aaron Joseph
McKnight, Maxwell
Ndombele Alvaro, Tanguy
Olusesi, Callum
Parrott, Troy Daniel
Phillips, Ashley
Porro Sauceda, Pedro Antonio
Reguilon Rodriguez, Sergio
Robson, Max
Rodon, Joseph Peter
Romero, Cristian Gabriel
Rowswell, James Patrick Lynch
Sarr, Pape Matar
Scarlett, Dane Pharrell
Skipp, Oliver William
Solomon, Manor
Soonsup-Bell, Jude Jacob
Spence, Diop Djed
Udogie, Iyenoma Destiny
Van De Ven, Micky
Veliz, Alejo
Vicario, Guglielmo
Whiteman, Alfie Malik
Williams, Jaden Pharell Earl

Scholars​

Adekunle, Timileyin Adegboyega
Adelusi, Theodore Olakitan Ademide
Archer, Samual Cyril
Heaps, Billy (Released)
Krasniqi, Elliot
Lehane, Ellis Anthony Mark
Moore, Mikey Steven Danny
Morgan, Kieran Lloyd (Released)
Orr, Dante D'Angelo
Simons, Zachariah Martin
Warren, Charlie Fredrick
Willhoft-King, Gabriel Han (Offer Contract)

I'm still a little surprised at some of the Scholars on the retained lists such as Krasniqi and Simons who I thought would be coming to end of their 2 year contracts ...... but are still being shown as 'retained'

Watch this space ?

I note Wilhoft-King was offered a contract but must have declined it.

I might be surprised at a couple who have pro contracts such as Linton ? Or is that being harsh ?

At least a bigger squad should mean more might be able to head out on loan. Still expect a couple might be offered out to other academies and could see somebody like Nile John following a similar path as Harvey White later in the window.

At least a bigger squad should mean more might be able to head out on loan. Still expect a couple might be offered out to other academies and could see somebody like Nile John following a similar path as Harvey White later in the window.

Am I right in thinking there has been a change in rule which says that players over 21 cannot play in u21's ?

If so that might well affect Nile John and Max Robson ?

Agree we will/could loan out a few more than we did last season, but its not that many, maybe 6 more such as Gunter, Dorrington, Donley, Lankshear, Santiago, Soonsup-Bell, but we'd still be left with a pretty large u21 squad which include some who wouldn't get much game time.

Back
Top Bottom