Starting to forget the feeling

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gibbs has a point. He falls flat by saying Modric is not good, because he clearly is......but it gets so tiresome when people start calling him a troll etc

The guy just nailed it with the Gazza comparison....that there is no comparison.

Gibbs has a point. He falls flat by saying Modric is not good, because he clearly is......but it gets so tiresome when people start calling him a troll etc

The guy just nailed it with the Gazza comparison....that there is no comparison.

Imagine if it were 1994 now. You'd get him saying "he's been SHIT, worst player in ITALY, 2 goals and no assists ALL SEASON"

gazza2reu_1861535i.jpg

because of his affection towards Englands players and Caps-rage-lock

The strange thing with this whole Modric thing, is I didn't say Modric is not good. Just overrated. Even back on SC I said he was a world class passer with world class close skills but I got obliterated when I suggested that its empty/pretty football that canceled itself out over 90 mins of football. Basically he looks like Messi in his own half. When he crossed the halfway line he chokes/passes responsibility.

Modric can shimmy, move and pass? Granted. But he could never pick the lock, he could never win a dogfight, and he could never finish.

My whole mantra has been that the Tottenham way has morphed into losing with style. Modric is not the Tottenham way. They had style and could pick locks, would leave players on their asses AND SCORE, CREATE AND FINISH. Like Gazza.

Modric is soft Spurs. Imagine Hoddle with Bale and Ronaldo to pick out? It's not even in the same category.

The strange thing with this whole Modric thing, is I didn't say Modric is not good. Just overrated. Even back on SC I said he was a world class passer with world class close skills but I got obliterated when I suggested that its empty/pretty football that canceled itself out over 90 mins of football. Basically he looks like Messi in his own half. When he crossed the halfway line he chokes/passes responsibility.

Modric can shimmy, move and pass? Granted. But he could never pick the lock, he could never win a dogfight, and he could never finish.

My whole mantra has been that the Tottenham way has morphed into losing with style. Modric is not the Tottenham way. They had style and could pick locks, would leave players on their asses AND SCORE, CREATE AND FINISH. Like Gazza.

Modric is soft Spurs. Imagine Hoddle with Bale and Ronaldo to pick out? It's not even in the same category.

I agree to be fair....he spoke of CL football. He might have got it if he had buried one or two more of the sitters he regularly scuffed. And as you say, some assists might have helped the cause too.

I remember saying how we could cope without him a long time ago if we adjusted our style, and utilised Huddlestone.....to meet the expected barrage of "YOU THINK HUDD IS BETTER THAN MODRIC!!!!!!"

The fact is, that when he was out for three months with a broken leg, our season was not derailed. I think we lost one game.

Imagine if it were 1994 now. You'd get him saying "he's been SHIT, worst player in ITALY, 2 goals and no assists ALL SEASON"

gazza2reu_1861535i.jpg

because of his affection towards Englands players and Caps-rage-lock

CJJ. You may not know this but I have a bit of a reputation when it comes to the pic you just posted.

I am the who's who of Spurs message boards posters who claim Gazza, George Best etc were done by their late 20's because of a certain lifestyle. I don't think the average Spurs fan would think I was referring to Lazio or Rangers era Gazza as a yardstick to the player he can be.

Prime Gazza injured himself going in to win any ball that came to him. Modric broke his leg from a tap from behind. Compared to Gazza he would jump out of tackles. Thank god that leg break happened because Modric missing a third of that season meant we got CL football. Modric could miss a load of our games and we carried on without a hitch.

I agree to be fair....he spoke of CL football. He might have got it if he had buried one or two more of the sitters he regularly scuffed. And as you say, some assists might have helped the cause too.

I remember saying how we could cope without him a long time ago if we adjusted our style, and utilised Huddlestone.....to meet the expected barrage of "YOU THINK HUDD IS BETTER THAN MODRIC!!!!!!"

The fact is, that when he was out for three months with a broken leg, our season was not derailed. I think we lost one game.

The shame is Hudd had everything apart from true dedication. He had all the physical gifts, but none of the steel and determination to follow it through. IMO Hudd is too nice in general. If he was a competitive cunt he would be world class. #isoundlikesherwood

The shame is Hudd had everything apart from true dedication. He had all the physical gifts, but none of the steel and determination to follow it through. IMO Hudd is too nice in general. If he was a competitive cunt he would be world class. #isoundlikesherwood

Yeah, he's not the man to build the team around, too placid....but Id like to see him in a midfield with Dembele and Bentaleb, with Dembele given an attacking, free role.

That's an odd point of view, and this forms part of the opinion why I find it difficult to take you credibly, as only last week or so you were arguing that Modric held us to ransom and we lost games just because he wasn't in the squad???

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/tim-sherwood.8360/page-157#post-501280

The fact of the matter is, people undervalue Modric because they fixate only on assists and goals. Modric does so much for a team and it's a shame that some people don't see that, even when it's obvious to so many.

That's an odd point of view, and this forms part of the opinion why I find it difficult to take you credibly, as only last week or so you were arguing that Modric held us to ransom and we lost games just because he wasn't in the squad???

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/tim-sherwood.8360/page-157#post-501280

The fact of the matter is, people undervalue Modric because they fixate only on assists and goals. Modric does so much for a team and it's a shame that some people don't see that, even when it's obvious to so many.

He did cost us, at a time we could have improved our standing as a top team. Instead we went backwards because we didnt untilse the same pattern we had done previously when he was injured. We brought in Dempsy and Siggy, and got rid of Hudd and VDV.

He's a quality player, as showed by how well we did when he applied himself.

The season he refused to play, we had squad harmony and a good manager that got the best out of him and the players around him.

I also said in that debate that Redknapp talked about the awful pre season and the atmosphere at club.....we started the season and got spanked twice (see the parallels?)

Its also a fact, that when the team was playing for eachother, under a good manager, we coped without him while he was injured. That isnt to say that he wasnt a massive part of our midfield.

As Gibbs has said, he acknowledged Modric's world class attributes........he also acknowledged that he wasnt the be all and end all of the team, and, as Modric showed for over a year at Madrid, he is not king pin some make out to be.

As Gibbs has said, he acknowledged Modric's world class attributes........he also acknowledged that he wasnt the be all and end all of the team, and, as Modric showed for over a year at Madrid, he is not king pin some make out to be.

I've yet to see conclusive evidence, in lieu of the overwhelming bollocks he posts, that acknowledges his world class attributes, to be fair.

Paraphasing a little as I cba to quote his crap again, but....
He accused Modric of destroying both Spurs & Madrid, said Krancjar is better and Bale had to rescue Madrid after Modric ruined them.

1. He was adjusting to a new league.
2. It wasn't over a year. He was only poor until Xmas.

3. He is not the reason Madrid are doing well and if he gets injured, I dont see their title challenge falling away.....much the same our top 4 challenge didnt.

Despite the fact he is a very good, and important player.

1. He was adjusting to a new league.
2. It wasn't over a year. He was only poor until Xmas.

Agreed.

Gibbsy keeps quoting that Modric was the "worst signing" but never mentions it was by Marca (hmmm) and it was in December 2012, so the votes would have been take some 2 months into his first season.

I've yet to see conclusive evidence, in lieu of the overwhelming bollocks he posts, that acknowledges his world class attributes, to be fair.

Paraphasing a little as I cba to quote his crap again, but....
He accused Modric of destroying both Spurs & Madrid, said Krancjar is better and Bale had to rescue Madrid after Modric ruined them.

Then talk to him about that..I havent defended that view point

Back
Top Bottom