Steve Archibald!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems you know the area.
I went to school on Approach Road.
I lived in the block of flats opposite Cambridge Health station from the age of 11 to 19. Easy to get to WHL :). I got married at Our Lady of the Assumption church, just around the corner from York Hall. I could go on for hours!!
I still consider myself a Bethnal Green girl and go back on odd occasions, when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I lived in the block of flats opposite Cambridge Health station from the age of 11 to 19. Easy to get to WHL :). I got married at Our Lady of the Assumption church, just around the corner from York Hall. I could go on for hours!!
I still consider myself a Bethnal Green girl and go back on odd occasions, when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Whenever I’m in London, I’ll head up to ‘The Approach’ pub.
Nearly all my friends from school are suburban now: Herts, Beds or Essex. One still lives down by the Marshes but that’s about it.
Spent a lot of my teenage years ducking and diving off of Roman Road pre-university.

I'm struggling to remember - The Bishop Bonner? He bought it for his dad and I went to the opening night. All of the players were there, along with Chas 'n Dave. I went there for one of my birthdays and his dad called him up and we had a little chat.
Yes Bobby Moore owned Mooro's (Salmon & Ball) on the corner of Bethnal Green Road. Saw him in there one night with Frank Lampard Snr. He also had one at Clapton Pond and one at Stratford, can't remember the names.
The Stratford pub was Mooro's too

We were neighbours! I lived just off Broadway Market from 1980 to 1990, as you say, easy to get to WHL. I loved that train ride, never failed to excite me, especially the night games when you got your first sight of the floodlights.

There used to be a small Shepherd and Neame pub in Goldsmiths Row, just behind the hospital on Hackney Road. Went there for a pint after watching the 82 Cup Final replay on the telly, it was packed with a huge buffet along one of the walls. Turned out that the landlord was Paul Miller's uncle, Maxi himself turned up about 3 in the morning, it was a helluva lock-in!

Last edited:
Whenever I’m in London, I’ll head up to ‘The Approach’ pub.
Nearly all my friends from school are suburban now: Herts, Beds or Essex. One still lives down by the Marshes but that’s about it.
Spent a lot of my teenage years ducking and diving off of Roman Road pre-university.
Many a lengthy session spent in The Approach in the 80s, loved that pub.

The guvnor (Tommy?) was a grumpy sod but you couldn't fault his lock-in policy - get through the door by 10:59:59 and you could stay as long as you liked

giphy.gif

I went to Parmiters' School. but never once went into the Approach. We weren't exactly liked by the natives...

PH1882 PH1882 - slip of the finger?

We were neighbours! I lived just off Broadway Market from 1980 to 1990, as you say, easy to get to WHL. I loved that train ride, never failed to excite me, especially the night games when you got your first sight of the floodlights.

There used to be a small Shepherd and Neame pub in Goldsmiths Row, just behind the hospital on Hackney Road. Went there for a pint after watching the 82 Cup Final replay on the telly, it was packed with a huge buffet along one of the walls. Turned out that the landlord was Paul Miller's uncle, Maxi himself turned up about 3 in the morning, it was a helluva lock-in!
Love stories like this.
Yes, I still remember the thrill of the first sight of the floodlights from the train, sounds corny but it was real.
I think I had my tonsils out in that hospital. :)

I'm struggling to remember - The Bishop Bonner? He bought it for his dad and I went to the opening night. All of the players were there, along with Chas 'n Dave. I went there for one of my birthdays and his dad called him up and we had a little chat.
Yes Bobby Moore owned Mooro's (Salmon & Ball) on the corner of Bethnal Green Road. Saw him in there one night with Frank Lampard Snr. He also had one at Clapton Pond and one at Stratford, can't remember the names.
Your struggling to recall'The Bishops boner' Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman !!!

Who are you?!!

*now trying to think of the older boys that were Spurs...*

I do think (without evidence) there were more Spurs a year or two before me. We had five that I can think of in my own class (may have been more, of course, memory isn't what it was, etc).
At least a 1/4 of my class were Spurs.
You must have been one of if not the last of the East London intake.
There’s a 125th anniversary OP reunion at The Approach on 29th of this month from about midday through the evening if anyone has the stamina.

At least a 1/4 of my class were Spurs.
You must have been one of if not the last of the East London intake.
There’s a 125th anniversary OP reunion at The Approach on 29th of this month from about midday through the evening if anyone has the stamina.
I'm fairly sure we were the last, and I think that those that stayed on went to the Raines Foundation for the last two years.

I've never been to any of the OP events - I get the online newsletter but hardly ever, if ever, see anyone from my time - it does seem to be more of the slightly older lot that feature.

Back
Top Bottom