Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
It's Hitchen's job to vet all these players though. To be really worth his corn, he needs to be able to make the difference - find the future stars and veto those who won't cut it.

With hindsight there were warning signs with Ndombele. Even the Lyon fans were saying he was inconsistent, and there were the fitness/attitude concerns at Amiens. So £55 million and £200k/week was bad business in a window where we could have used the money to buy Fernandes.

It's obviously not easy to pick winners in the transfer market, but we need someone absolutely top class in that role and its hard to make a case that's Hitchen.
Hitchen's record over the past 3-4 years has been really poor.

No hindsight with Ndombelly. At the time people who'd seen him a lot didn't rate him for the PL.

Didn't Hitchen in the documentary say something like "I hate January transfer windows".

THAT'S ALL YOUR JOB IS YOU FUCKING TWAT

I'm quite annoyed that Levy, who is Mr. Value personified, can't see that this clown is pissing his cash up the wall.

Be it a chief scout , manager etc , someone employs them , they are the ones who are failing , repeatedly

I think it’s time that he accepted that our repeated 2 year cycle is his doing & buggered off

When discussing Hitchen, lets not be distracted by feelings about Levy. £40m for Sanchez was not inconsiderable and other teams have far better defenders than him bought for lesser fees. Now we do not know how much that was a Poch buy rather than Hitchen but I find it hard to believe Levy was behind such an expensive buy for someone with clear faults.
Levy has been here for 20 years and our purchases were better until Hitchen turned up which indicates to me he is the problem. Now until we have a new Manager installed he has to stay but we then get a proper DOF who should then overhaul the scouting team and get rid of Hitchen. The DOF would undertake part of Levy's and Hitchen's current role. Levy can be the figurehead and deal with the commercial activities and house building projects.

I still think our best window was summer 2012. Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Adebayor, Dempsey.........and if Levy didn't behave like a total count we could have had Moutinho too which would have turned a 7.5/10 window into a 9/10

I still think our best window was summer 2012. Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Adebayor, Dempsey.........and if Levy didn't behave like a total count we could have had Moutinho too which would have turned a 7.5/10 window into a 9/10
Yeah 2012 was excellent. 2015 was really good as well, Toby, Trippier & Son. Probably our last good window which explains our current state.

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Obviously something went wrong. We went from buying Modric from Eastern Europe to buying Sanchez for 40 million quid. Hitchen seems to coincide with the shambles.
Hitchen was actually a European scout at the club during that period as has been reported to have championed the signing of Modric. Credit where it's due.

He was also said to have "found" Luis Suarez for Liverpool. Not sure what needed finding about a freakazoid athlete bagging more than a goal a game for Ajax but there we are.

Alasdair Gold says there is no sign of looking for a replacement, Shows how little Levy knows about Football.
Hitchen's influence is growing and if he is drawing up the shortlist for the manager he has to be described as a quasi-DoF at this point.

He seems to have as much or more operational control than Baldini or Mitchell ever had anyway.

Last edited:
What if Hitchen has been out scouting good players, setting up deals etc but then either the managers doesnt want the player or levy fucks up the financials moving the goalposts like he’s known to do.

We don’t know enough about his job to know otherwise do we?

What if Hitchen has been out scouting good players, setting up deals etc but then either the managers doesnt want the player or levy fucks up the financials moving the goalposts like he’s known to do.

We don’t know enough about his job to know otherwise do we?
To give a concrete example, if we signed Giovani Lo Celso because we could get him for a couple quid cheaper than Bruno Fernandes, that isn't Levy's fault for being a tightwad, that's the chief scout's fault for indicating to Levy than the two were comparable players.

There is nowhere to hide when the record is as long and as poor as Hitchen's is.

And it seems that with his added influence, he's now pushing for managers that he believes can coach his players and make good on some of his moves.

Sure, fine, if we aren't going to spend to fix this properly there are worse ideas I guess. But there needs to be accountability when it goes tits up, which it almost certainly will.

To give a concrete example, if we signed Giovani Lo Celso because we could get him for a couple quid cheaper than Bruno Fernandes, that isn't Levy's fault for being a tightwad, that's the chief scout's fault for indicating to Levy than the two were comparable players.

There is nowhere to hide when the record is as long and as poor as Hitchen's is.

And it seems that with his added influence, he's now pushing for managers that he believes can coach his players and make good on some of his moves.

Sure, fine, if we aren't going to spend to fix this properly there are worse ideas I guess. But there needs to be accountability when it goes tits up, which it almost certainly will.

Poch wanted Lo Celso over Fernandes

Back
Top Bottom