Steve Hitchen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

HITCHENS IN OR OUT?

• Total voters
Those first five of six hardly needed scouting did they? All things equal, most everyone saw they appeared tier 1 or 2 signings. Poch dissed Tielemans it was reported, but he would have blown out probably under his regime (think it's rumoured he's a slack trainer, or was).

The lack of youth recruitment and loan structure alone puts someone up for the chop, imagine if we had youth comparable to Chelsea coming through, 50% of Conte's job done, plus soo much easier for recruitment if we were soo up against the fence on HG status...

Still 80% on Levy, as Grealish and Tielemans should have been triggered and given the squad, due to their price and potential to flourish at that point (and our squad needs).

Given our performance, even if mostly on Levy and Poch, means someone had to leave, Hitchen might not have been the core of the issue, but he was clearly not dynamic enough in the company of huge ego's to press his ideas (if the failures were indeed, mostly not his), so either way, good decision.

No but as I said it was more his connections which is highly regarded in the game, most of the stuff you've mentioned there was on the club as opposed to Hitchin, I guess he was the fall guy, his days were numbered after that Amazon documentary.

Cafe staff must be relieved tonight. No more of this chap hanging around the coffee cart belly aching about January.

I just hope there is not a #metoohitchin moment to come.

No but as I said it was more his connections which is highly regarded in the game, most of the stuff you've mentioned there was on the club as opposed to Hitchin, I guess he was the fall guy, his days were numbered after that Amazon documentary.

Naaa, my clearer opinion is he lacked anything like the depth of knowledge to hold the minds of Levy and whichever Manager it has been, to get them signing off on Grealish (to say Levy against Poch's direct call, or vice versa, to hold enough power of tongue, with Poch to persuade Levy).

Levy is the arch Cuntard, but Hitchin going and the Chelsea guy (plus rumours of more) is a good start to the regeneration of the football operation.

There are other more tangible theories than just another slew of Levy's conspiracy, you know...

Fab as DOF effectively made him redundant..... Side-lined or (job titles aside) demoted even.

Last we heard he'd been given a roll heading up youth and lower-league domestic scouting....... Tough pill to swallow after a couple of years as Levy's #2.

That's more than enough to make a man leave and seek new pastures.
Christ you are boring and have an overblown sense of your own opinions, all I ever see you doing on here is arguing every little detail with absolutely everyone.
It's just exhausting, I have no clue how you find the time.

think I'll stick you on ignore for a while for my own sanity

I'll leave you to carry on huffing your own farts.

Naaa, my clearer opinion is he lacked anything like the depth of knowledge to hold the minds of Levy and whichever Manager it has been, to get them signing off on Grealish (to say Levy against Poch's direct call, or vice versa, to hold enough power of tongue, with Poch to persuade Levy).

Levy is the arch Cuntard, but Hitchin going and the Chelsea guy (plus rumours of more) is a good start to the regeneration of the football operation.

That's not his job though lol

His job is to identify the targets and bring them to the table, everything else would have been on Levy or the manager.

You'll notice we had the same thing with Paul Mitchell, he bought a lot of players to the table but the club didn't sign off on them and he fucked off, the reason why Hitchen stuck around is because he was happy to be Levy's yes man.

Christ you are boring and have an overblown sense of your own opinions, all I ever see you doing on here is arguing every little detail with absolutely everyone.
It's just exhausting, I have no clue how you find the time.

think I'll stick you on ignore for a while for my own sanity

I'll leave you to carry on huffing your own farts.

Being asked to think outside the box of ones own preconceptions is boring eh....?

:dierpochhug:

That's not his job though lol

His job is to identify the targets and bring them to the table, everything else would have been on Levy or the manager.

You'll notice we had the same thing with Paul Mitchell, he bought a lot of players to the table but the club didn't sign off on them and he fucked off, the reason why Hitchen stuck around is because he was happy to be Levy's yes man.
Okay, all of this begs the question that you're dodging.

Of the signings that he brought to the table and which we signed, which of them can credibly be said to have been successful?

Okay, all of this begs the question that you're dodging.

Of the signings that he brought to the table and which we signed, which of them can credibly be said to have been successful?

Not sure how I can dodge a question if it hasn't been asked...

A lot of his signings were duds...I haven't said otherwise nor am I trying to counter argument that point :confused: have you been reading my posts? My point is that everyone has seemingly put the blame on him for our transfer dealings but there's a lot more to it as to why his record at Spurs was poor i.e Levy, kept changing managers, mainly operated in the period of no spend...

I'm not absolving him of blame I'm merely saying that our poor recruitment shouldn't solely rest on his shoulders.

He was shit though and Mitchell didn't sell him he was already out of the Club. Getting £18m from Stoke is probably the greatest sale this Club has ever made????
Especially when you consider what happened when he joined Stoke in 2017! Started the season really badly and was clearly unfit. Mark Hughes got sacked in the January of Wimmer's first season and Paul Lambert said Wimmer wasn't fit and put him on 'a special fitness regime' and he didn't play for the rest of the season (or ever again for Stoke) and Stoke got relegated for the first time in 10 years. The following season they loaned him to Hannover 96 who also got relegated from the Bundesliga. Hannover had a buy clause if he played at least 24 games but he only played 22 so he went back to Stoke. Then got loaned to Mouscron in the Belgiumish top div where the season ended because of covid. And then in 20/21 they loaned him to German second division team ... before he left on a free last year!

So he joined us for £4.3m, played 13 league games in 2 seasons for us, we then sold him for £18m where he only played 14 league games over 4 seasons and left for nothing! Madness

Especially when you consider what happened when he joined Stoke in 2017! Started the season really badly and was clearly unfit. Mark Hughes got sacked in the January of Wimmer's first season and Paul Lambert said Wimmer wasn't fit and put him on 'a special fitness regime' and he didn't play for the rest of the season (or ever again for Stoke) and Stoke got relegated for the first time in 10 years. The following season they loaned him to Hannover 96 who also got relegated from the Bundesliga. Hannover had a buy clause if he played at least 24 games but he only played 22 so he went back to Stoke. Then got loaned to Mouscron in the Belgiumish top div where the season ended because of covid. And then in 20/21 they loaned him to German second division team ... before he left on a free last year!

So he joined us for £4.3m, played 13 league games in 2 seasons for us, we then sold him for £18m where he only played 14 league games over 4 seasons and left for nothing! Madness

Iz Football..... :pochsmirk:

I really liked Wimmer. Thought with a couple more years with Toby and Jan he could have really stepped up to another level. Shows you how careful players need to be with the moves they agree too- Stoke was a totally poisoned chalice. Hope he at least collected enough to compensate him for having to deal with life as a Stoke player.

It's going to be very interesting - I've tried to defend the guy when people have stuck the knife in after the Amazon doc (something Levy probably loves as it distracts from him) but ultimately we've been a basket case in the market for a good few years. We'll have to wait and see how the summer window transpires because it'll give an indication on whether Hitchen was a net good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom