Steve Perryman

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a terrific read this is.............
Steve Perryman exclusive interview as he retires from 50 years in football

And amen to this......................
“And I won’t miss this modern blight of ‘game management’, which I detest – it’s one of the worst things I’ve witnessed in football.

“People pay hard-earned money to watch matches, and they are being cheated by ways of keeping the ball out of play".

“I’m talking about managers who tell the ballboys not to give the ball back so quickly when their teams are winning, goalkeepers taking a minute over every goal kick, players rolling around feigning injury, substitutions taking forever. If football has come to all that, you count me out.”

And for those who had any fears about him not spending time at The Lane:
With time on his hands, Perryman will be a more frequent visitor to his spiritual home in N17.

He said: “I’m going to attend more Tottenham games – I want to go back home where I feel truly respected because I like the north London opinion on football. We’re not all on the same side in that part of the world, but we are on the same wavelength.

“Although I’m a west London boy by birth, that’s why I regard north London as home: They don’t give you any bull****, they tell you how it is and they know if you’re on it, and I was on it at Tottenham.

“Without blowing my own trumpet, I always felt that these were my people and I was representing them on the pitch.

He is my only football hero. I feel very lucky to have this man as our Captain, not someone who you just adore as a footballer, who then says all the right things then fucks off somewhere leaving his words and actions meaningless. This is a man you could (can) count on, someone with integrity and honesty. For me as a kid he was the man you wanted to be when you grew up.
How could anyone who calls themselves a Spurs supporter not love this man.

How could anyone who calls themselves a Spurs supporter not love this man.

For me he was the link between the Billy Nic era and the generals sides of the 1980's.

A Tottenham legend, a disgrace that he did not play more games for England.

My dad went to his testimonial against wet spam? And got to meet him afterwards, Steve signed the programme, which we still have and despite all the attention around Steve, he still took time to chat to my dad for ages about spurs and football in general.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and my dad took my sister's kids to their first match at Exeter ( it's close to where they live) in the stand and Steve is sat a few rows away, my dad goes over before kick off and Steve is happy to chat and they spend time recalling Steve's testimonial back in 1979 and having a joke or two about the modern game!

Absolute legend and although I have never met him, top guy!

For me he was the link between the Billy Nic era and the generals sides of the 1980's.

A Tottenham legend, a disgrace that he did not play more games for England.

My dad went to his testimonial against wet spam? And got to meet him afterwards, Steve signed the programme, which we still have and despite all the attention around Steve, he still took time to chat to my dad for ages about spurs and football in general.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and my dad took my sister's kids to their first match at Exeter ( it's close to where they live) in the stand and Steve is sat a few rows away, my dad goes over before kick off and Steve is happy to chat and they spend time recalling Steve's testimonial back in 1979 and having a joke or two about the modern game!

Absolute legend and although I have never met him, top guy!
He is lovely......but a bit of a moaner (like most men!!! ;) )

We had a little chat at the book signing on Saturday, told him that it was my 50th anniversary of my first game too a couple of weeks ago. He said that we had met before, I replied yeah, just a few times! I do get a bit giddy around him, I must admit, and when I said to the guy who was coordinating the signing, how much I love him, he said that I didn't want to say that in front of Kim (his current wife), I replied I saw him first!!!
I was looking forward to bringing it to Malta to read on the plane, but it's really heavy, so will have to read it at home. So if I don't post so frequently, you know what I'm up to ;) :):):)

I will NEVER forget the favour Steve Perryman did for me when he called one of my best mates on his death bed to have a chat to him. My mate just couldn't believe it, he was so happy.

It isnt even 6am and I am welling up on the train into work. I must have something in my eye.

RIP mate. Never forgotten.

Steve Perryman was captain when I first remember supporting spurs(I was born into a spurs household,so you get what I mean)in 71/72.
Was skipper when I first started going in 1976.Took me a long time getting used to someone else being our captain..Didn't seem right
I first saw him play in '71 and all the way through to his final game for us in '86.
Still visualise him more clearly in a number 8 shirt - rather a number 6.

JJS4Xi6.jpg
Looks like Palace in the background...

Back
Top Bottom