Strikers and Rafa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rafa gives us so much more than just performances. His leadership and winning mentality are invaluable to the squad in my opinion.

Similar I suppose to the way Gallas was seen talking and organising and making sure everyone was switched on and focused even when he hasn't been a major part of the team this year. That's down to his mentality and desire to win. Rafa always wants the ball and even though he might take on a bit too much responsibilty when it comes to dead ball situations etc, he always gives 100%.

Losing him would be a massive blow, unless we had someone ready to replace him.

Suggestions?

CharlieTHFC said:
Rafa gives us so much more than just performances. His leadership and winning mentality are invaluable to the squad in my opinion.

Similar I suppose to the way Gallas was seen talking and organising and making sure everyone was switched on and focused even when he hasn't been a major part of the team this year. That's down to his mentality and desire to win. Rafa always wants the ball and even though he might take on a bit too much responsibilty when it comes to dead ball situations etc, he always gives 100%.

Suggestions?

I concur.....which is why it would be difficult if we had 2 strikers banging em in, in a 442. I think VDV is a team player tho, and understands the need for #ahem# rotation.

I doubt this scenario will occur anyway, tbh. But if we did sign two top quality strikers, I still wouldn't want 4-4-2 every game, just depends, doesn't it? So players, including Rafa and Ade/Damiao/Remy/whoever, would have to accept not starting every game.

If the player "can't accept" that, they can fuck off.

Although I really wouldn't like it if Rafa fucked off.

i have a feeling we wouldnt know what we had until hes gone, unless we sell him for silly money i'd keep him

CharlieTHFC said:

Suggestions?

ThisThisThisThis.

How many other sides play with two "real" centre forwards these days? Is it essential to have that? Dropping a fella who scares other sides and actually gives a shit about the team worries me, we need players who actually fuckin care

2 out and out strikers tends to leave teams very short in midfield, like we were at Woolwich in Feb. Even at 2-0 everyone could see we weren't controlling the game.

4-4-2 should only be used against teams that also play that way. Look how we battered Newcastle at WHL. They played 4-4-2 that day. It won't always work. But if you have better players in each position than the opponents in two matched up formations, you should win. Doesn't always turn out that way though.

Rafa' puts a shift in and drops deep to help the midfield out, as well as providing that touch of class in the final third, both invaluable. He would be as big a loss as Modric in my opinion.

Stag said:
How many other sides play with two "real" centre forwards these days? Is it essential to have that? Dropping a fella who scares other sides and actually gives a shit about the team worries me, we need players who actually fuckin care

It's a good point.

Man Utd - usually just the one striker - Rooney barely even counts as an out and out striker these days!
Chelsea - Always 1 striker at the focal point of the 4-3-3.
Woolwich - Same as Chelsea.
Liverpool - Same as Chelsea.
Man City - maybe sometimes, but usually a 4-2-3-1 sort of formation, but with a lot of flexibility.

None of the top teams play a definite front 2. Newcastle the closest I suppose with Ba and Cisse, but even them, Ba has been pushed out wide more in a 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa on the other side.

SpursLegend said:
Stag said:

It's a good point.

Man Utd - usually just the one striker - Rooney barely even counts as an out and out striker these days!
Chelsea - Always 1 striker at the focal point of the 4-3-3.
Woolwich - Same as Chelsea.
Liverpool - Same as Chelsea.
Man City - maybe sometimes, but usually a 4-2-3-1 sort of formation, but with a lot of flexibility.

None of the top teams play a definite front 2. Newcastle the closest I suppose with Ba and Cisse, but even them, Ba has been pushed out wide more in a 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa on the other side.

It is a good point, but to be fair, we beat Liverpool 4-0, The Scum 2-1, Bolton 3-0 and Newcastle 5-0 playing 4-4-2 last season.

CharlieTHFC said:
2 out and out strikers tends to leave teams very short in midfield, like we were at Woolwich in Feb. Even at 2-0 everyone could see we weren't controlling the game.

4-4-2 should only be used against teams that also play that way. Look how we battered Newcastle at WHL. They played 4-4-2 that day. It won't always work. But if you have better players in each position than the opponents in two matched up formations, you should win. Doesn't always turn out that way though.

Rafa' puts a shift in and drops deep to help the midfield out, as well as providing that touch of class in the final third, both invaluable. He would be as big a loss as Modric in my opinion.

We didn't play 442 against the Scum - we played 4312

if we'd played 442 we might have stood a chance, as it was we were so fucking narrow that Sagna just raped us repeatedly...

Spurs (4-4-2): Friedel; Walker, Kaboul, King (Dawson, 81), Assou-Ekotto; Kranjcar (Sandro, 46), Modric, Parker, Bale; Adebayor, Saha (van der Vaart, 46). Unused subs: Cudicni, Rose, Lennon, Defoe.

No?

CharlieTHFC said:
Spurs (4-4-2): Friedel; Walker, Kaboul, King (Dawson, 81), Assou-Ekotto; Kranjcar (Sandro, 46), Modric, Parker, Bale; Adebayor, Saha (van der Vaart, 46). Unused subs: Cudicni, Rose, Lennon, Defoe.

No?

We played:

------------Friedel------------
Walker Kaboul King Assou-Ekotto
-----Kranjcar Parker Modric-----
-------------Bale--------------
--------Adebayor Saha--------

I still struggle to work out why Redknapp changed it from the Newcastle game but he did - Bale was roaming all of the place......

and after half time he changed it to:

-----------Friedel-------------
Walker Kaboul King Assou-Ekotto
---------Parker Modric---------
------------Sandro-----------
Bale---------------van der Vaart
----------Adebayor------------

Blanchflower said:
CharlieTHFC said:

No?

I still struggle to work out why Redknapp changed it from the Newcastle game

Oh my

Back
Top Bottom