Subsidised Coach Travel

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dad mentioned this the other day to me and i've also just seen it mentioned in the THST weekly update.

Apparently the club has reduced the prices of coach travel to £10 for 15 away games this season (resembling the move by Stoke at the start of the year).

At first I thought this was a generous move but when you look a bit further into it the club is still fucking us. I wasn't aware, but I just read that they were given a £200,000 grant to 'improve away match day experience' and this is the option they've done. Considering the overly-early time of departure there and immediate return after the game, alongside all of the rules on food/drink it's really not a great way to travel. Also they're clearly trying to get more people using the service, rather than just passing on the grant in savings directly (think of it like this; would you rather have a £1 coin, or a coupon for £1 off but only when you spend over £10 on something you don't want).

Or am I just being a pessimist? Anyone else have opinions on this move?

Only benefits people who live in/around London. I like the idea of just putting £10,000 behind the bar at the bar for the away fans.

:mong:

Liverpool chose to reduce all away tickets by £2-£4 per ticket with the £200k they got.

I wasn't even aware of the grant in the first place so when I heard we were doing that I was like "hmm, seems a nice gesture.."

Liverpool have the right idea, would've much preferred a few quid off away tickets. There's no way that entire £200,000 can be used up with a few £10 coach tickets though surely? And even so, a full coach at £10 probably more than covers the cost so they're still getting their profit on top of the £200k.

Does anyone know how many official coaches we take to each away game?

I just don't see how it can be a viable or attractive option for many people.

Never done it myself, although I'm not far from WHL now. Guess I would consider it for a really awkwardly located away game that I was desperate to go to.

Never done it myself, although I'm not far from WHL now. Guess I would consider it for a really awkwardly located away game that I was desperate to go to.

I have never and will never taken official travel to a game.....can't drink, full of wallies and sad cases.

Drive and get a hotel.

Usually only 1 or 2 (was one when I went to Newcastle but two when I went to Birmingham) - guess it depends on demand.

When I was U18 it was perfect because I couldn't drink anyway and it was miles cheaper than getting a train. But they're so, so boring. No chanting, no alcohol, no food except at the designated service-station break. Gets you there 3 hours early and leaves about 5 minutes after the final whistle. Horrible way to travel.

I think it's probably a good way of doing it. Without coming across as a middle class wanker, people that take the official coach will most likely feel the benefit of a few quid off a lot more than someone who drives or gets the train. To be honest, I wouldn't even notice a couple quid off a ticket, might as well use the grant in an area it's actually going to have a positive effect.

I don't have it down as a geezer approved mode of transport but as a last resort I'd consider it for a midweeker up north. Just have to make sure noone I knew saw me getting off the coach.

It is known as the wally bus for a reason. I got it to Manchester United away when I was 15 or 16. I think for the FA cup and I was sat next to a geezer who kept on saying to me the whole way there "I hope we dont get attacked"
:nawty:

Never got it again, that was the one and only time.

I remember bumping into the wally bus crew for Madrid away and they all walked around together with cameras taking photographs of all the local sights whilst everyone else was getting completely wankered in Plaza Mayor.

Personally I havent done a domestic away day for a few seasons because of the sunday KO's and they keep getting moved for TV. Only do European aways now.

Fuck going on the Window Licker bus. Ever. Though for me that would be plain stupidity anyway given my location.

My preferred use of the 200k grant would be sending a plethora of prossies into the gents at each away ground, though I guess that might no shake up well with the PC Brigade or the gonks on the wally bus.

Back
Top Bottom