Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
With price sensitivity these days, Levy would never sell townsend for that, the kid is on the up again, looks more composed too, say he puts one in top corner against QPR, all of a sudden its 15m, no dice, like most of this thread

Who would buy him .. I know I wouldn't if manager .. And that's issue with spurs players .. Players like him on great contract and other managers big convinced at those wages that they could get better value elsewhere and cheaper
Redknapp. That's who. He can get the most out of him and so it's worth it for him but doubt other managers would want to take the risk.

ITK-ish:
paddyj1 ‏@paddyj2 11m
@jetsetyid does MS starting put an end to our chances of getting him this window mate?

The original JJetset‏@jetsetyid Protected Tweets
@paddyj2 what like Dembele did playing for Fulham v united before we bought him?
I'm still trying trying to stay optimistic (as I think his inclusion at Spurs will do a whole bunch of good), but I realistically think it's over, (unless we can sell someone to them ... but NOT Townsend).

Fuck selling Townsend.

Think Townsend looked great yesterday. He is one of the few actual Tottenham lads in the team as well. Give him a few games before deciding on him, Poch!

While I agree with the sentiment, as I don't want to see Andros sold (yet), if they were to add an extra £5M to their offer, I would certainly give it some consideration (I imagine Levy would also).

The only way I'll be happy if Townsend is sold, is if...
1. We get at least 15 mil pounds.
2. We get Schneiderlin from that (cash plus player) deal.
3. And we also get Depay.
4. Oh and while we're at it, also add a buy-back clause for Townsend.

Schneiderlin would be nice because he knows the system already and has a good relationship with Poch but I'm not convinced he's any better than what we already have. He's certainly not some deep lying master playmaker like some would have you think.

Schneiderlin would be nice because he knows the system already and has a good relationship with Poch but I'm not convinced he's any better than what we already have. He's certainly not some deep lying master playmaker like some would have you think.

You know as well as I, that is not how TFC transfer discussion threads work.

Hey guys, recent signup to the forums here, American, and Tottenham Hotspur fan since March 2014, so I'll give my expert opinion. Can we just ignore any talk of another midfielder this transfer window or are we actually going to make a move for another MF? I'd rather ask about a striker, with Eto'o, Destro, and Remy being the popular names linked this summer. I agree with most everyone about Remy's price being overvalued, and Eto'o would be a great signing, but it's not 2009. So, is Destro the most realistic one of the bunch? From the little I've seen of the 3 (Destro only in youtube clips), he looks the most solid. Strong, ill-tempered, and still young. Could be a more long-term option than the others. But are any important enough to give up Soldado? I understand the gripes about him, and he doesn't have that killer instinct, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Maybe by January? I'd rather close the door and field the current team until the next window. Yes, I'm less informed than most on here, but am I crazy to think this way?

Hmmm ... Change of stance for Koeman; a bit less firm on his stance:

Apparently, Koeman post-game said, "We are hoping he will stay ... He's a important player ... etc."

Hey guys, recent signup to the forums here, American, and Tottenham Hotspur fan since March 2014, so I'll give my expert opinion. Can we just ignore any talk of another midfielder this transfer window or are we actually going to make a move for another MF? I'd rather ask about a striker, with Eto'o, Destro, and Remy being the popular names linked this summer. I agree with most everyone about Remy's price being overvalued, and Eto'o would be a great signing, but it's not 2009. So, is Destro the most realistic one of the bunch? From the little I've seen of the 3 (Destro only in youtube clips), he looks the most solid. Strong, ill-tempered, and still young. Could be a more long-term option than the others. But are any important enough to give up Soldado? I understand the gripes about him, and he doesn't have that killer instinct, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Maybe by January? I'd rather close the door and field the current team until the next window. Yes, I'm less informed than most on here, but am I crazy to think this way?

I have said many times bony is my number one choice bit id take remy, eto is to old and won't add enough IMO.

From yesterday's performance I would like a David silva, Lallana type of player, eriksen is amazing but he gets bullied a bit and to be honest he's not a possession player, a clever link player who can take the ball under pressure. We have not had someone like that since modric really and someone like that would complete our midfield. Not sure who would fit this bill to be honest.

Other than that sell our weaker players and perhaps get another centre back, don't need that many more players 2-3 should complete us.

Welcome, from a fellow American.

You post on Spurs' reddit by any chance? Your thoughts seem to be the general consensus from over there.

We can ignore the talk of another midfielder all we like, but the fact is our manager rather clearly wants this move, so I do think it's reasonable we discuss why.

As for my own stance, we have done far too much slow, horizontal passing from the midfield the last two years. Far, far too much of it. Aside from Bentaleb at 28, none of our other midfielders averaged more than 24 forward passes per game. Schneiderlin averaged a whopping 37 forward passes per game, as well as led the league in tackles and interceptions. He also knows Poch's unusual tactics well, so could help make the transition time much shorter considering Schneiderlin himself said it took Saints six months to fully implement his ideas. As we saw in the game yesterday, we still have problems with adequately closing on the ball in midfield to prevent dangerous situations from developing further into our own half. Schneiderlin, with his rate of tackles and interceptions, rather clearly would be an upgrade in preventing these situations.

So to these eyes, I can see why Poch would want such a move. Quantity is never a reason not to pursue quality.

The only way I'll be happy if Townsend is sold, is if...
1. We get at least 15 mil pounds.
2. We get Schneiderlin from that (cash plus player) deal.
3. And we also get Depay.
4. Oh and while we're at it, also add a buy-back clause for Townsend.
We can also teach the world to sing in perfect
harmony. End child poverty and eat extra cake
at Christmas.

Didn't see the game but twitter insinuates that MS played like a man who could not give a shit about the team. If I recall correctly then the earlier ITK on MS said that Saints would not let him go before the first game of the season. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for MS or Pirlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom