Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
When were Spurs in obscurity? They never have been in my lifetime, which goes back to the 50s. We certainly weren't in obscurityin the decade pre-Arnesen. We had players like Ginola, Klinsmann, Gazza, Lineker, how far back do you want to go? We have been in the top flight since 1978, etc etc.

Klinsmann saved us from getting relegated mate.

I meant relative obscurity. Dark years.

Klinsmann saved us from getting relegated mate.

I meant relative obscurity. Dark years.
Fair enough, relative obscurity I'll accept. But even when we were relegated in 1977, we weren't in obscurity. As a big London club with a big fanbase, obscurity isn't for us. In the second division I was one of the 50,000+ that turned up to see us beat Bolton. We were featured on MOTD, in the days when they only covered one main match, and we won 9-0, etc, etc.

Fair enough, relative obscurity I'll accept. But even when we were relegated in 1977, we weren't in obscurity. As a big London club with a big fanbase, obscurity isn't for us. In the second division I was one of the 50,000+ that turned up to see us beat Bolton. We were featured on MOTD, in the days when they only covered one main match, and we won 9-0, etc, etc.

In London you get bombarded with Spurs stuff. In the UK you get a tidy amount. Outside the bubble, outside a few goal of the week type of things, we hardly make a blip on the world football stage.

It's why (controversial) I don't give a fuck about the tottenham way, losing with style. I want us to be a world power. Bale gave us a MASSIVE boost on the world stage, but that momentum is gone. We had a massive billboard in times square of Bale, Asian market was freaking out etc. We need CL. Often. It's why I am so anti Lennon, Townsend, Carroll and other Tottenham Way players who have style but little substance.

It's a very unpopular opinion but I'm convinced the Tottenham way of overloading the team with fancy players has kept us out of the title hunt for over half a century.

There has been waaay too many Domingues, Andertons, Ruel Foxes and Townsends that keep us spinning our wheels in the name of entertainment.

Ginola was surrounded by utter dross. Steven Carr was a SHIT defender everyone loved because he bombed down the wings. He was a wet paper bag in defence. Bale also carried pleasing on the eye players like Hudd during his time here.

That is why I hope we get some real defenders at left back and backup for Walker. This team is pretty un Spurs...It has some beasts in it for a change and has potential IMO.

Cue "two signings from challenging for the title" dreams, haha.

Hi Gibbs I disagree with your analysis. We're ever presents in the Prem, the most watched league in the world. We've never been in obscurity since the 1950s, and probably not since 1901. We certainly weren't in obscurity when ENIC took over.

As I say relative obscurity, fine. I don't really know what that means, but I'll go along with that.

Crewe, Chesterfield, Halifax, Leyton Orient, even Charlton if you like, those clubs are in 'obscurity' not the mighty Spurs, one of the ten biggest clubs in England for at least 50 years, probably longer than that. I know we got relegated in 77, I still think we were one of the 10 biggest clubs.

Everton supposedly want Townsend, could use him as a bargaining chip for the likes of Baines/Barkley? Hell id even give mirallas or stones a punt

I can't see either club selling either way considering how close we've gotten. I don't blame Everton for making a punt considering Townsend's lack of playing time, but I think it would take a hefty sum to pry him away from us for a variety of reasons, and I can't imagine any of those players you've cited being willing to come our way.

LLoris

Walker Chriches Vertonghen Some fucker who isn't rose

Baines or Barkley look unlikely but Mirallas is a gem. I like him and would swap townsend any day.

Though I do like townsends dad.

Mirallas is a quality player, and I can't fathom any reason why they'd be willing to swap him for Townsend unless they were desperate for HG's (which they're sitting way better than we are at the moment). Mirallas also made comments last summer that his dream was to play in Spain, so I think he'll be content to continue staying where he's comfortable and playing well (especially since it'd be an almost sideways move) until he can get an offer in Spain.

I think people forget because he has been around forever, but this was Townsends break out season (which included England call up).
While there are plenty of valid criticisms of him, I thought on the whole he did enough to show he has potential worth persevering with - for this season at least.
He has a lot of raw attributes we should love in a winger - Im very interested in how he might (or might not) develop under a manager that really coaches players.

Mirallas is a quality player, and I can't fathom any reason why they'd be willing to swap him for Townsend unless they were desperate for HG's (which they're sitting way better than we are at the moment). Mirallas also made comments last summer that his dream was to play in Spain, so I think he'll be content to continue staying where he's comfortable and playing well (especially since it'd be an almost sideways move) until he can get an offer in Spain.

Yeah my thoughts did not take into account either Everton's position or the players position.

My bad.

I think people forget because he has been around forever, but this was Townsends break out season (which included England call up).
While there are plenty of valid criticisms of him, I thought on the whole he did enough to show he has potential worth persevering with - for this season at least.
He has a lot of raw attributes we should love in a winger - Im very interested in how he might (or might not) develop under a manager that really coaches players.

Absolutely agreed. Young, pacy, ambidextrous, aggressive, strong against the shoulder-tackle, English, and somewhat internationally-experienced; such a combination is hard to come by these days. With the removal of the high back line and good, humbling, individual coaching; I think this kid will prosper as much if not more than many of our other players who struggled this season. No reason to be rid, especially with how low we are on HG's at the moment, barring an absurdly high bid that I doubt anyone will pay.

Last edited:
All the problems with Townsend, IMO, are in his head.

Decision making, mostly. "Humbling" is a nice way of putting it I think, get his feet on the ground, stop him from trying to emulate Bale and win the games all on his own and teach him how to work with the team and I think he has everything else to be a superb player for us.

they can have Townsend, we get Baines and Stones......and we chuck Lennon in

Baines didn't even push for a move to Man U and his old boss made a move for him. That lad is Everton through to the bone, he's never going to come to us. I'd give up Lennon for Stones though, if he's even willing to come to us.

All the problems with Townsend, IMO, are in his head.

Decision making, mostly. "Humbling" is a nice way of putting it I think, get his feet on the ground, stop him from trying to emulate Bale and win the games all on his own and teach him how to work with the team and I think he has everything else to be a superb player for us.
Ginola said basically the same thing about Townsend if I remember correctly, and how he would love to coach him.. we should let him!

Ginola said basically the same thing about Townsend if I remember correctly, and how he would love to coach him.. we should let him!
I heard that aswell.
I mean seriously, Townsend is definitely one of the best dribblers of the Premier League (I think he still has the most successfull dribblings per game record) and his shooting ability isn't great because of its lacking precision but the basic approach is good (different than e.g. Lennons) and he still has time to improve his decision making skills.

Lukaku replacing Soldado would be awesome for this summer,we need a striker who is comfortable playing in Premier League,while Soldado looking lost during the matches until now...unsettled ,unfortunately for him, and luckily,when Adebayor return on the pitch,Spurs starts to score many goals...he must stay also on WHL in the next season.
Lloris,Vertonghen must stay,Paulinho,Eriksen,Adebayor (the best transfer in 2013 for us) the same...and build a strong team around them,will see,for now is unknown the new manager (Pochettino?),probably when the new manager will sign with the Spurs,he will make the strategy for the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom