Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember a couple of years ago when we all got serious hardons because we signed seven pretty expensive foreign players.

None of whom had experience playing here. Most of whom turned out to be fucking garbage.

Yet, a couple of names apart, this thread is full of folk gasping for the same again. Players from teams I've barely heard of, who've got thirty games under their belt, with release clauses of "only £30m".

What the fucking fuck? Is there nobody except MS (can't spell his name) or Benteke that play at a level below us, would improve our squad, and have English football experience?

Victor Wanyama? James Ward-Prowse? Ashley Williams? Ryan Shawcross? Dusan Tadic? Moussa Sissoko? Saido Berahino? Troy Deeney? Will Hughes? Rudy Gestede?

We are all very excited to see Pritchard and Ali next season, so why aren't we considering any of these guys, or others from lower sides in the league structure?

Stick your Imbula up your japs. He's next seasons Capoue.

I have on good authority that a Spurs player has convinced Alderweireld to join Spurs whilst he was out on his honeymoon.

CIqjUyaWoAEAakh.jpg

ENIC won't pay top 4 wages until they have top 4 revenue … I think the argument is there for a much higher wage bill … Until then we're the biggest minnow, and one of the few competent ones.
Two important insights sandwiching a an untenable suggestion.

We're in agreement that wages correlate to league position, but let's not confuse correlation for causation. ENIC has had a stable wage structure for years, and they've been very, very reluctant to tinker with it. IIRC, Bale was our first, outright, 100k/ earner. That kind of wage structure has been very beneficial to the club in that we're run, as I've pointed out a million times here, as an eighth place club. What that means is that we won't face massive debt if we fail to get European football. That lot down the road literally requires European football in order to keep the lights on at the stadium.

If we boost the wage package, we're taking on untenable risk because very few players that would get us top 4 will come here solely for massive wages and the opportunity to maybe get us into the CL. It's fashionable to say that contemporary players are nothing but mercenaries, but I can't imagine what kind of wage packet we would have to propose to a player so that he takes, simply, the money.

Consider Hazard, again. Practically signed, sealed, and delivered to N17, and then Bayern shits the bed. Hazard didn't go to a different club because Chelsea offered better wages (though they may have). His stated reason was the "francophone" atmosphere over there, but the real reason was CL and the opportunity to win things. Double? Treble? How much in wages would we have had to offer Hazard over Chelsea's offer for him to say, "bah, medals"?

And then what? We're leveraged. Every summer, Hazard would pout about how at least three clubs are doing better than us (because he, alone, would win us precisely no medals). So either we take on more ridiculous contracts, like City when they broke into the top 4, or sell Hazard, possibly at a loss. Both options are awful.

I do believe that top 4 is possible without top 4 wages; we've done it twice in the past six years, after all. But it's not easy, and it gets harder every season, especially now that we have five (not four) clubs that will outspend us in every category, simply because they can. And four of them can always dangle that ever important carrot, "CL".

That's why the comments about signings as "statements of intent" or possessing "wow factor" irritate me. They confuse causality with correlation, suggesting that all we need to do is throw money at the "right" player, and it'll be time to start counting the medals. But we only ever know if the player is the "right" player post facto. I spent years thinking dos Santos was the "right" player, as did Harry. Not much came of that, right?

OK, this is long enough.

So they can lob £200m at the market,; while we seemingly can't throw even £1 at the market. We are the only club that has to break even each year. So frustrating. A lot of you seem to be proud of this policy. I'm embarrassed by it.
Man Utd should be embarrassed throwing £200m at the market and finishing 4th.

What a great football mindset - "I WANT TO SPEND HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF POUNDS JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES".

What a great example. Burning through Europe's best youth to find the odd gem like Chelsea, destroying careers in the process.
Or paying £25m+ for every squad player you purchase like City - Fernando, Fernandinho, Mangala, Dzeko, Jovetic...god knows what wages those boys are on. Jovetic didn't even make their fucking final squad.

You shouldn't aspire to that - you should be embarrassed by it.

I know we all have differing opinions but to put it all in perspective about how ultimately we all have the same love (or is it an illness? Haha)....

My little boy is just over 3, for a long time he's been knowing I'm going to Spurs and will see Chirpy and watch the football and asking when he will come. I told him I'd take him this summer ("when you're 3 you can come in the summer ok"). My thinking was a home friendly would be perfect, he'd see the ground and if that and the crowd was too over whelming for him then it's only a friendly, tickets a bit cheaper, better for taking him out early if need be. Well with our worldwide pre-season tour and the work on the ground, no home friendly!

However, being smart for his age (honestly, despite me being his Dad), he knew he was due to be going and pushed the issue. So, first league game, Stoke at home, he came with me, brought my other half as well as she was happy to take him out if need at any point be so I could see the game. Far more expensive but Mr Levy would be happy too.

Well, he was good as gold. I was more excited and proud than I expected as I walked towards the Lane with him wearing his top. He was so chuffed to see Chirpy, he cheered and shouted, got a bit shocked by the noise from the first goal, inevitably got a bit bored and grabbed the I-pad for a while. By the last half hour he was back into it and he sensed how uneasy I was. Hoping for a third to kill them off so it would be ok to leave slightly early (which I don't do), I was starting to worry about what was to come. I told him "if they score here we're in trouble son".....they scored. "Why are we in trouble Dad" he kept asking me. "Because now they have 1 and we have 2 mate, 1 more and we're drawing" (he is 3 remember). Then it came, the inevitable 2nd most of us knew was coming. Gutted, frustrated, angry and all the usual but, it's been amazing hearing him recount how he saw Chirpy, we got 2 but then we was in trouble because they got 2 and we only drawed.

As we walked away last Saturday I told him something he won't understand yet; "you'll get used to days like that with Spurs son but, in 33 years when you're my age it still won't feel any better".

Great day (shit result still haha).

Surely after that long, self indulgent post we've signed a striker by now......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom