Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, with the exception of Chelsea, our Academy IS much better than the top 6.

It is an alternative route, and traditionally was a major one. The growth of the transfer market changed things in the last 25 years, but FFP's constraints means Academies are getting a renewed role at most clubs. We're actually much further along in this than many of our rivals, and the success we've had this year in large part is down to that work. The only clubs to have successfully out-performed the dominant teams in Europe in the past 3-4 years have had a heavy emphasis on promotion of Academy talent, because a team of talented players trained in a system over a long period of time can generally out-perform a more talented team recently thrown together.

Until we have the new stadium paid for, it's also going to be the route we rely upon most. It's just more logical. That's not to say we won't bring in players from outside, but it means we'll look at what we already have first, so that money doesn't get wasted.

I'm not saying it's not good but I am saying that some people think because Kane and Bentaleb have come to prominence this year and Mason has got into the first team (at 23), that we'll now just unearth 2-3 new, Premier League quality youngsters per year and all is well.
We've bought wrong a lot, we find some cheap young and academy talent (for the first time in a while) so now there is growing acceptance that we won't buy much but will improve.

With a stadium to build that will suit Levy of course and there won't be much option.

As for definitely being better than all but Chelsea, if you have intricate knowledge of this to such an extent then fair enough, I'd say not many do.

My limited knowledge of FFP is that actually Chelsea and Man City have been working loop-holes to ensure they can maintain their financial superiority and including buying youth and academy investment and development in that. Scum have youngsters in the first team but can now spend £40m a player, same as the Scousers, United more than that. Everton have developed Coleman, Barkley, Stones, Southampton a constant production line, Villa have depended on lots of youth and survived to date, not sure we're really streets ahead.

Also, define 'success'? We reached the League cup final yes but have gone out of Europa in the last 32 and have stiff competition for 5th or 6th let alone 4th so we're potentially worse than the past 5years. But it's success because we have used some academy products and cheap young players? That is relative success but, without kicking on and achieving more next season it is not progress, just same old end results from a different formula.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's not good but I am saying that some people think because Kane and Bentaleb have come to prominence this year and Mason has got into the first team (at 23), that we'll now just unearth 2-3 new, Premier League quality youngsters per year and all is well.
We've bought wrong a lot, we find some academy talent (for the first time in a while) so now there is growing acceptance that we won't buy much but will improve.

With a stadium to build that will suit Levy of course and there won't be much option.

As for definitely being better than all but Chelsea, if you have intricate knowledge of this to such an extent then fair enough, I'd say not many do.

My limited knowledge of FFP is that actually Chelsea and Man City have been working loop-holes to ensure they can maintain their financial superiority and including academy investment and development in that. Scum have youngsters in the first team but can now spend £40m a player, same as the Scousers, United more than that. Everton have developed Coleman, Barkley, Stones, Southampton a constant production line, Villa have depended on lots of youth and survived to date, not sure we're really streets ahead.

Coleman was signed from an Irish team when he was 20 and Stones already had over 20 senior appearances for Barnsley when he was signed up. Both of them had nothing to do with Everton's academy.

Coleman was signed from an Irish team when he was 20 and Stones already had over 20 senior appearances for Barnsley when he was signed up. Both of them had nothing to do with Everton's academy.

I said they've developed them, the cost and breakthrough principle I'm talking about is similar so to be more definitive; academy and/or youngsters costing next to nothing then. They weren't Premier League players when they joined and they were kids relatively speaking. Stones pricier admittedly but cheaper than Dier.

Last edited:
So if the reports are true and we've signed Wimmer, is that really a position we needed filling?

We have Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Chiriches and Kaboul. I'm guessing Kaboul is gone this summer, and Chiriches looks likely to leave, but I don't see Wimmer being first choice. Will he be loaned out do we think?

So if the reports are true and we've signed Wimmer, is that really a position we needed filling?

We have Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Chiriches and Kaboul. I'm guessing Kaboul is gone this summer, and Chiriches looks likely to leave, but I don't see Wimmer being first choice. Will he be loaned out do we think?
I don't think Vertonghen will be staying. Never reached the form of his first season. His contract is running till 2016, we might just get some money this summer for him. Wimmer seems to be the replacement.

Is Wimmer as good as Vertonghen though? Seems a risky move.

I don't think Vertonghen will be leaving - I actually reckon he'll sign a new deal. Wimmer is a similar sort of player to Vertonghen, but not ready to replace him. He is more likely to replace Kaboul. If Vertonghen does end up leaving, we'll sign someone else as well as Wimmer.

Is this wimmer any good? I've never heard of him to be honest. I would think if this did happen it would be nailed on as vertonghen replacement. Although I thought vertonghen contract runs out 2018...man utd bound I reckon.

We've bought wrong a lot, we find some cheap young and academy talent (for the first time in a while) so now there is growing acceptance that we won't buy much but will improve.

My limited knowledge of FFP is that actually Chelsea and Man City have been working loop-holes to ensure they can maintain their financial superiority and including buying youth and academy investment and development in that. Scum have youngsters in the first team but can now spend £40m a player, same as the Scousers, United more than that. Everton have developed Coleman, Barkley, Stones, Southampton a constant production line, Villa have depended on lots of youth and survived to date, not sure we're really streets ahead.

Also, define 'success'? We reached the League cup final yes but have gone out of Europa in the last 32 and have stiff competition for 5th or 6th let alone 4th so we're potentially worse than the past 5years. But it's success because we have used some academy products and cheap young players? That is relative success but, without kicking on and achieving more next season it is not progress, just same old end results from a different formula.
As far as knowing the quality of the respective youth programs goes, I judge based on the way clubs have done in the various tournaments. Most of the large clubs are not doing as well as we do. Chelsea is the major exception.

FFP does have loopholes, and Chelsea have been smart in exploiting them by buying up and stocking piling talent at various loan clubs. They generate profit through sales to cover for the signings they make. City don't really have any of that. They are investing in their Academy NOW, but didn't in the past, and this is biting them in the ass, since their first team squad is not built for the long term. They need to replace a lot of talent soon, and the players they need to move are all on very large, long-term contracts. They can't buy their way out of this, since they also have a seriously lack of home grown players.

I am not saying we can expect 2-3 first team quality players per season. But if you look at the current squad, we have at least 4 players who came out of our youth set-up, with Rose also developing under us. To that, we will likely see Onomah and Pritchard added next year, and possibly Carter-Vickers, Yedlin Walker-Peters close to ready as well. 10 players of the 25-man squad. We don't have to do that every year, but we do have a lot of young talent which most observers think will be of a very high quality coming through in the next couple of years.

Yes, that is cheaper, but it also has the benefit of players who already have time together, and in the same system as the first team, making it much easier for them to transition into our squad, and to play well.

Some other teams are also doing this, notably Soton, but most teams don't have the same numbers of players ready to fit into the squad.

As far as defining success goes, if you're going to look at European performances, then it should be fair to note that there's a solid pool of about 40 squads across Europe who are around our level or better. We can't win them all, and given the issues around Spurs in the last few years, it's not much of a surprise that we've arguably under-achieved, aside from one season.

I don't think Vertonghen will be leaving - I actually reckon he'll sign a new deal. Wimmer is a similar sort of player to Vertonghen, but not ready to replace him. He is more likely to replace Kaboul. If Vertonghen does end up leaving, we'll sign someone else as well as Wimmer.

Our defense has been a mess most of the season and you have to wonder if Vertongen leaving might be the best thing for both parties. I know he is loved here but he is not the same player we all fell in love with. Similar to Sandro he just seems to be missing something.

I think Dier has looked fine for a first season and Fazio is a decent third choice, but we're still missing that defensive anchor.

Our defense has been a mess most of the season and you have to wonder if Vertongen leaving might be the best thing for both parties. I know he is loved here but he is not the same player we all fell in love with. Similar to Sandro he just seems to be missing something.

I think Dier has looked fine for a first season and Fazio is a decent third choice, but we're still missing that defensive anchor.

Vertonghen is an odd one. Sometimes he can look fantastic, then other times it's as if he's forgotten he's in the middle of a match. :avbcringe:

How are the Koln fans feeling about Wimmer leaving? Are they bothered? Any YouTube videos to gush over? Although saying that, must be hard to get a good compilation going of a good defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom