Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
They played for shit clubs in a top league.

Soldado played for a top club in a top league.

Can you see how they're not comparable?
Sorry but your line of argument actually makes no sense.

Because they played for shit clubs and he played for a good club...that means what exactly? my point is that you can be a good goalscorer without being a top player...they're both completely different things (you can be both too of course but he isn't)

I think Simmo with Stambouli it was same as Holtby but just over a lot shorter period, he just wasn't good enough

Yes at times that midfield was totally cream crackered and if you want to say Poch got something wrong I would have put Dembele in there more so we could recycle and hold the ball for longer periods, Benji sadly just did not look the part

Not going to get an argument out of me against that, I want Poch to maximise Dembele and then we have a real player on our hands to improve us already .

A "top player" doesn't score all those goals and then suddenly stop scoring for 2 whole seasons

Funny-Nando-fernando-torres-13504018-500-375.jpg

I don't expect us to spend £20 million+. I expect us to sign someone better than Moses. I expect us to sign a striker and a midfielder, hopefully good ones. That's it.

Oh I thought you said

From what we know of Poch I think most of our signings are going to be relatively cheap kids, which I'll be content with...

From this post below, where you make a big fuss about how low our record transfer was for such a long time........

Not sure why people have this illusion that in the past we spent big. Our record transfer fee was £16~ for quite a while. It's only ever been broken significantly two times; Lamela and Soldado.

......I can only assume that "relatively cheap" to Spurs would be, what, 3-4M in your eyes? (On the basis that 8M would be half the 16M you used to show we dont spend. Not exactly a cheap kid in that case)

So you want a cheap kid (from the lower divisions I would expect for that money).

But you expect him to be better than Victor Moses.

Last edited:
City did the same with Scott Sinclair.

Just playing for a CL club doesn't make you world class.

Christ, Djimi Traore has a CL winners medal and Ibrahimovic doesn't. Know what I mean?

Who said it does, just don't see why wishing him well is an issue. He's best out of our club for both parties, obviously he didn't really have that much of a crack and was either a Poch signing mistake or, if it was Baldevy signing then Poch was proving a point by leaving him on the peripheral of things.

People giving it 'he's fucking shit' as if he really had an opportunity to genuinely prove otherwise should worry more about the players that have had far longer and cost more than Stambouli and, worry about who we haven't signed yet!

I'd rather give youth a chance than watch some washed-up failed Brazilian slurp £60,000+ a week from our bank.

He failed at AC, in a league that was at a particularly low point at that time. There is no way that lad would make it in the Prem.

Just another name people get attached to because 12 years ago we were told he was the next big thing.

He's tried. He's failed. He's back in Brazil. Leave him there.

Worse than all 3 of our current strikers at the moment. I'd rather have Chadli up front.

His lack of consistent playing time at United has not doubt contributed to his lack of fitness.

Think he could do a job for us. Seems to have great instinct in and around the box, works hard and would get a good number of games for us in a long season.

Maybe we're the step down he needs. Utd and Real Madrid are hardly the best places for a lad to try and breakthrough.

I don't believe Pato is a good gamble but what do you or I know about how he stacks up in our scouting reports vs a kid with no experience or a £5m 'prospect' from Slovakia or such like?

As for Hernandez, not sure he's a better footballer than Soldado to be honest. Just may have better luck overall and is a bit younger so could work out. In all honesty, I think Dos Santos is as good and that ship sailed and didn't work out for us either.

I watched (and watch) a lot of games from La Liga, I've lived in Barcelona and I've never seen a youtube clip with him - but kudos on the childish youtube-cliché and the "i told you guys so" - what a man you are.

Soldado scored 0(!!!) league hattricks in his top season (24 goals) and a total of 3 league hattricks while at Valencia. So there goes your theory. Soldado has been very well renowned in Spain for years but has unluckily been in the shadow of Villa and Torres internationally in a 1-striker Spanish team.

For some reason it hasn't worked out here (at all) but neglecting his former accomplishments is stupid.

Hands up if you've won a bet on Soldado scoring a hat-trick for us? I did vs Anzi, odds were 20/1, you'd think they should've been 1000/1 how he's been for us !

So if you excel at what is widely regarded as the most difficult part of the game, you're not a 'top player'? A definition invented by you to help your argument - I'm confused, and I suspect you are too.
I invented the term "top player"...sorry i suggest you go back and re-read this whole debate and you will see it was 'Danoir' that mentioned it first.

To answer your question...did you ever consider any of those English strikers i mentioned top players? i don't know why you would be confused though being that i've made it clear numerous times i analyse attributes of a player to determine who is a top player.

to answer your question bluntly (so your confusion can hopefully go away) i considered Soldado a good goalscorer in spain (much like i did Kevin Phillips here) but i never thought of either as top players because i saw glaring limitations to their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom