Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

James would actually be more realistic than Isco, that's how unlikely Isco is.

And I was very surprised when we started September without a real backup for Kane, but it happened anyway. Definitely agree that Poch/Levy are planning something, the only question is whether they're going to sign somebody good or if we're going to get the AM/CM equivalent of N'jie.

I think we must have been given strong assurances that we could sign Berahino, and gambled.

Whilst I'm glad we have learnt not to go for the nearest person rather than sign our targets, I hope we've learnt from that.

I do think our Kane-free experiments of the rotating striker tactic looked quite effective at times, though!

Throwback to our last squad going into the 2010 Champions League,

1) Gomes
2) Cudicini
3) Pletikosa
4) Corluka
5) Hutton
6) Walker
7) King
8) Woodgate
9) Dawson
10) Gallas
11) Kaboul
12) Bassong
13) BAE
14) Rose
15) Sandro
16) Palacios
17) Huddlestone
18) Jenas
19) Modric
20) Bentley
21) Bale
22) Lennon
23) Piennar
24) Dos Santos
25) Naughton
26) Van Der Vaart
27) Defoe
28) Keane
29) Pavlyuchenko
30) Crouch
31) Kranjcar

32) Townsend
33) Caulker
34) Livermore
We had King & Bale. Both were immense. We have a more stable defence (but I still wouldn't swap a fit King for any defender in the modern era- Spurs or other club) We don't have a Bale. I think the "game changer" is what every sceptic misses. We have historically had that type of player. Now we are the sum of our parts. Which is great until you realise that the sum of Leicester's parts was more than enough for us last season (& every other club in the PL before anyone starts funny business)

I accept we won't get him, but an Isco would ignite the crowd.

We are getting Berahino. For better or worse.

Thought I'd have a nosey on SC to see if there's any juicy goss.

Saw some "ITK" that mentioned we spoke to Isco's father about a deal. They look like they've spent 4 pages laughing about that and dismissing it because the ITK says we are speaking to his dad. Trollololol etc.
:pochrolleyes:

None of the dumb fuckers have clicked or bothered to realise that his agent (or at least 'one of them') is his dad
:pochfacepalm::pocheyes:

Fucking head in fucking head in, going kick his fucking head in. Been drinking heavily relised we need more passion, fuck this transfer window.

I understand we cannot spend millions and build a new Stadium. That does not mean we should Again make a Profit on player trading.
Selling Mason and Chadli is madness without a replacement and not kids we hope might be able to step up. Sell any more then it is even worse. We should tell Mason and Chadli they stay for now and we reassess in January unless we can replace.
Otherwise even if we are doing well, it will all be wasted when the knackered players tire at the end of the season like last year.
We must expect at least 3 players to be unavailable at any one time due to injury or suspension. Many times it has been much worse. We then need 2 teams to rotate meaning 25 players which yes includes 2/3 kids but not 22 including kids.

This has been a remarkably calm transfer thread. We finished in a CL spot & brought in V&V early doors. Since then...there has been an exodus lite. I feel uneasy as we get nearer to the deadline.
It's levy time for sure, but for every VDV there is a Frazer Campbell

I suspect we should be glad when we loan Chadli to WBA & pay £13 million for Berahino.

Before the straw man is built, I'm not condoning the current squad, I was pointing out that we have more than 18 players in it!

As for that list, let's not get silly - 10 of those players don't count! Many of them were Academy players who were out on loan practically all season, and are just household names now. Some of the others I've crossed out were already exiled and made perhaps 1 or 2 appearances before being shipped out on loan, and Pienaar didn't join until January.

1) Gomes
2) Cudicini
3) Pletikosa
4) Corluka
5) Hutton

6) Walker (Went on loan to QPR)
7) King
8) Woodgate
9) Dawson
10) Gallas
11) Kaboul
12) Bassong
13) BAE

14) Rose (Went on loan to Bristol City)
15) Sandro
16) Palacios
17) Huddlestone
18) Jenas
19) Modric

20) Bentley (Went on loan to Birmingham)
21) Bale
22) Lennon

23) Piennar (Didn't sign until Winter window)
24) Dos Santos (Went on loan to Racing Santander)
25) Naughton (went on loan to Leicester)

26) Van Der Vaart
27) Defoe

28) Keane (Went on loan to West Ham)
29) Pavlyuchenko
30) Crouch
31) Kranjcar

32) Townsend (Went to Ipswich)
33) Caulker (Went to Bristol City)
34) Livermore (Went on loan to Ipswich)

So that leaves perhaps 24 players, which is roughly what we have at the moment. That's before you look through Redknapp's squad and say that many of them were unlikely to play 90 mins consecutively (King, VDV, Kaboul etc.)
They all played I'll have you know. I said in regards to the start of the season. I'll give you Piennar. I included them as you included the likes of Winks, Carter Vickers and McGee.

I would think its the other way around. We can actually afford Isco's wages. I highly doubt James would fit in there.
I just think that Isco seems to have a future with Real (Zidane seems to like him, he gets regular minutes, he seems to fit the system, etc.). James, on the other hand, is basically Real Madrid's 4th-choice central midfielder and 4th-choice winger right now, and 2 of the guys ahead of him are younger than he is and Spaniards to boot. Assuming that he really wants to play, he's willing to take a wage cut, and PSG/Juventus aren't able or willing to pay for him, then it could happen. It's ridiculously unlikely, of course, but I think it has a better chance of happening than Isco.

We had King & Bale. Both were immense. We have a more stable defence (but I still wouldn't swap a fit King for any defender in the modern era- Spurs or other club) We don't have a Bale. I think the "game changer" is what every sceptic misses. We have historically had that type of player. Now we are the sum of our parts. Which is great until you realise that the sum of Leicester's parts was more than enough for us last season (& every other club in the PL before anyone starts funny business)

I accept we won't get him, but an Isco would ignite the crowd.

We are getting Berahino. For better or worse.
While I concur we are stronger now we certainly didn't have to worry about injuries, at least not to the same extent.

I do also agree on the Isco point, this place would become a circle jerk until after the international break.

They all played I'll have you know. I said in regards to the start of the season. I'll give you Piennar. I included them as you included the likes of Winks, Carter Vickers and McGee.

Townsend definitely wasn't at the club by the first game.

Winks came on at the weekend (albeit for a min). If we're going for the 'they all played', I guarantee our current squad list will be longer by the end of the season and players like Edwards get a token appearance.

Poch likes a more manageable squad, wereas Redknapp liked to hoard old Pompey chums in the squad, so it's a different approach whichever way we look at it. I don't particularly think the 2010/11 comparison bears any meaning though.

Fact of the matter is that we have more than 18 players in the squad without including Winks and Carroll.

Townsend definitely wasn't at the club by the first game.

Winks came on at the weekend (albeit for a min). If we're going for the 'they all played', I guarantee our current squad list will be longer by the end of the season and players like Edwards get a token appearance.

Poch likes a more manageable squad, wereas Redknapp liked to hoard old Pompey chums in the squad, so it's a different approach whichever way we look at it. I don't particularly think the 2010/11 comparison bears any meaning though.

Fact of the matter is that we have more than 18 players in the squad without including Winks and Carroll.
Aye but there is quite a big difference between your 25 and my 30 something.

Admittedly a lot of the youth cited played vs Woolwich in the League Cup
But on last season we saw Pritchard very briefly in the summer, Winks off the bench twice and Onomah a bit, I don't know why you guarantee it will be a particularly longer list of players this other than we will be more reliant on in-house youth.

2010 bares comparison as it was the last and only time we were going into the UCL, a competition which will likely test our squad capabilities.

In 2015/16, 33 players played for Tottenham, including Pritchard, Winks, Fazio.
In 2010/11, 42 players played for Tottenham.

I like our squad, I feel we were very lucky with injuries and suspensions last season and I don't know if I'm particularly comfortable going into this one taking the same, or similar risks. Obviously Janssen and Wanyama change things slightly from last season.

If I was more confident about our youth team I'd be markedly more content however considering Onomah is meant to be one of our brightest prospects I can't say I'm looking forward to the reliance on youth.

Aye but there is quite a big difference between your 25 and my 30 something.

Admittedly a lot of the youth cited played vs Woolwich in the League Cup
But on last season we saw Pritchard very briefly in the summer, Winks off the bench twice and Onomah a bit, I don't know why you guarantee it will be a particularly longer list of players this other than we will be more reliant on in-house youth.

2010 bares comparison as it was the last and only time we were going into the UCL, a competition which will likely test our squad capabilities.

In 2015/16, 33 players played for Tottenham, including Pritchard, Winks, Fazio.
In 2010/11, 42 players played for Tottenham.

I like our squad, I feel we were very lucky with injuries and suspensions last season and I don't know if I'm particularly comfortable going into this one taking the same, or similar risks. Obviously Janssen and Wanyama change things slightly from last season.

If I was more confident about our youth team I'd be markedly more content however considering Onomah is meant to be one of our brightest prospects I can't say I'm looking forward to the reliance on youth.

Who knows, we haven't played the season yet, and there are so many variables.

Like I said, our 2010/11 team was quite fragile, with players like Kaboul, King and VDV coming to mind as constant fitness/injury concerns, so we needed the depth.

Luckily, we don't seem to be afflicted with the kind of players anymore where we expect them to be injured/subbed due to fitness.

Who knows, we haven't played the season yet, and there are so many variables.

Like I said, our 2010/11 team was quite fragile, with players like Kaboul, King and VDV coming to mind as constant fitness/injury concerns, so we needed the depth.

Luckily, we don't seem to be afflicted with the kind of players anymore where we expect them to be injured/subbed due to fitness.
I hope you're right. I also hope if we're getting rid of a load of squad players then some replacements are coming in.

Will be hard to turn down if Wolfsburg have offered that for Son.

Out: Son, Njie, Chadli, Mason
In: Lopez, Nkoudou, Zaha/Berahino, Isco

Much has been made of the squad harmony so I'm a bit worried about these massive changes.

I hope you're right. I also hope if we're getting rid of a load of squad players then some replacements are coming in.

That's what you'd hope. Although I'd rather we avoid another 2013/14 when we bought a bucket load of players, as it isn't good for the team to have so many fresh faces.

Janssen, Wanyama, Nkoudou and Pau Lopez would be 4 as-is, so I assume we're going to get an extra AM, maybe one other CM too?

Unlikely, yet there's got to be a plan....?

Back
Top Bottom