Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AM. Players need competition. Poch wanted a more direct player, so did l.
I agree AM was a position we needed - but who would YOU have replaced. You say our starting eleven needed to be improved. Which player would you have dropped to the bench? Alli?

Could you name other available central midfielder who want to leave their current club, have the attributes Sissoko does in terms of pace, power and versatility?

Don't call him powerful and pacey, you'll make Gibbs cream his little pants and claim he predicted this all along.

We did need to strengthen the 1st 11. That is is a valid concern IMO.
Absolutely this. Our bench is flimsy. Do we really want to rest first team players & put in the likes of Josh Onomah & Harry Winks in the CL? Or do we rest them when we are playing the likes of city, Utd, scum or chavs (even Spam) because we need them for CL? Getting rid of Chadli, Mason etc is all well & good, but it's myopic not to replace them with better. It's not melting to express concern that this is yet another window where it looks increasingly likely that we haven't strengthened our hand noticeably. Point to Vincent & victor by all means. But they were signed before this fire sale of established squad members. And having strengthened in two key areas, we have sold players & I can't see how we are stronger in others.

I'm not one of those who thinks it's a disaster if we just end up with Nkoudou but it's clear one more midfielder was needed.

Whether that be competition for the AM roles or a Dembele alternative. Sissoko does tick both boxes and I don't see why we haven't got the deal done... surely Newcastle would compromise to an extent?

Why keep a player who doesn't want to be at the club and won't play this season only to sell him at a future date for far less money?

If we go into the season as is we are essentially saying we trust Winks as the Dembele rotation or we will play Alli there (where he is worse imo).

We have Champions League football. Dembele won't be able to play 90 minutes against Leverkusen and then 90 minutes against United three days later for example.

And the whole farce around Nkoudou and Lopez hasn't helped either. I don't think people would be melting as much if we just got both those deals over the line quickly but it's half 4 on deadline day and we haven't signed a player who passed his medical six weeks ago.

It's not surprising people are underwhelmed.

What position would you have strengthened and who would you have replaced?

For me our weakest position is Vertonghen - but it would be pretty crazy to break up his partnership with Alderweireld.

After that Lamela - who looks like he's just about to peak - so again crazy to replace him.

After that Eriksen - replacing him would cost £40m+

After that maybe Lloris - the Captain

In short no one.

I agree AM was a position we needed - but who would YOU have replaced. You say our starting eleven needed to be improved. Which player would you have dropped to the bench? Alli?
I don't play at being a manager. We will need to rotate more than usual this season. The position needs strengthening. I'm not going to be pushed into a corner on players, it's not my job.

Lloris
Walker Toby Jan Rose
Mousa Dier
Lamela Alli Eriksen
Kane

Subs: Vorm, Davies, Wimmer, Wanyama, N'Kouduo/Clinton, Son, Janssen

The melting is not proportionate. We HAVE improved. Our best 18 is better than last year's. It's the depth players that may or may not prove to be worse. Isco would've been superb but we knew that wasn't going to happen - didn't we? Yes, a player earmarked for the starting XI would've been ideal but one could think we got significantly worse over the summer but we didn't. We won't spend big again until the stadium is done.

Sick and fucking tired of the stupid brigade who can't grasp that there's something in between 1) no/negative net spend and 2) City-oil-money-spray.

Why is it so fucking wrong to expect that your team - when qualified to the CL while playing PL and cups as well - strengthens the squad so that it can rotate but maintain a starting 11 of players with proven ability at the same time? Yeah, we need to get the academy players in the team over time, but we shouldn't have to rely on them all making a "Dele Alli" in the two toughest competitions in the world. We were very lucky with injuries last season, some players were unexpected revelations, and still we looked very weak when resting some of the core players.

It doesn't mean that you have to spend billions. But if you think Tottenham can't afford spending 30-40-50 million, and wouldn't benefit from doing so, you're a fucking imbecile.

I'd like to think the 10th richest club in the world could do more than point to a few league cup finals. I'm not melting, but it's a bit frustrating at times.

(Yes l know about the stadium)
Does anyone know what that is actually based on? I'd imagine it's based on value and assets. Has no baring on what we can and can't actually afford to spend on wages and transfers.

Back
Top Bottom