Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Latest state of play?

Olmo - all gone quiet
Lo Celso - all gone quiet
Saliba - deciding between Spurs & the filth
Cellabos - deciding between Spurs & the filth
Bale - rumours we are interested but agent says otherwise
Zaniolo?

:sonhmm:
Olmo and Lo Celso (and Ceballos for that matter) are still kicking back on the beach, sipping tequila sunrises and knee-deep in minge.

No that I'm jealous as I sit here slaving over a computer for a pittance in temperatures approaching 40º, no sir, not me

Bale improves us big time.

Seems like a pretty humble lad with a massive twat of an agent pulling the strings.
So far it's worked, and he has made an absolute fortune and won everything he could have dreamed of.
The lad still has at least 3-4 good seasons left in him. For 60mil and 300k per week - sound like a great marquee signing with a lot of commercial value. Expect it would be a huge boost for the dressing room too.
Paying him 300k a week would destroy it. The Goons have been drifting ever since they offered bug eyes 350k. Oh, and they lost their best player on a free too.

It aint going to happen. He doesnt want to leave Madrid, we don't want him that bad. And for that I'm very grateful.

Don’t think he’s the right player for us at all, he’s the kind of player that Man U might get conned into taking on.

Look at the last few big signings for us - Janssen, Son, Sanchez, Aurier, Moura, Ndombele.

All youngish types with hungry attitude (hopefully) and potential to become better, some have been a hit and some have been a miss but that’s the risk you take for buying potential.

Bale is the exact opposite of this. Almost 30, injury prone, questionable attitude, bloated salary, bloated contract, you say we might get 3-4 good years out of him but equally the risk is that we might get almost nothing out of him.

My personal view is we should keep doing what we are doing now; invest in potential and hope we find more players like Eriksen and Son and Dele who becomes 5 times as much as what we paid for, not necessarily to sell but so that it saves us money.

We’ve become a big club, like I’d never imagined in my wildest dreams but we’re not at that stage where we are big enough to spunk 60 mil and 300k wages on a player like Bale, we should leave that to the likes or Real and Man U for a good few years at least, if ever to be honest.

Talking about Real, I mean even a team that is as wasteful as Real are trying to get rid of Bale; and we should be taking Bale off their hands???

They’d be laughing all the way to the bank and would be talking about how they’d hoodwinked us to taking on their toxic trash for years to come.

Wake up and smell the coffee guys, stop living in the past and realize what we’ve achieved by following the transfer strategy we’ve pursued for the last few years.

Not being the right type of player for us - you are probably right there because he is an absolute game changer. We don't have them do we - and when we do, they quickly leave.

Buying young and developing has been our transfer policy for years. It's worked, and got us to where we have been the last 5 seasons or so. There's a final push needed to get us over the line - and for me it's a proper world class game changer. You don't get many teams celebrating the biggest honours without players like this, and as far as I see in our squad we simply don't have one. Dele maybe on a good day, but once he is doing it every week - I expect he will fuck us off for pastures new.

Regarding the finances - 60 mil is a hefty chunk for us, but now proven to not be outside of what we are prepared to pay for players. It's a good sized fee but not astronomical in this market. But I think it's the salary that people are more concerned about stretching us.
If he joined on 200k per week, that's in line with Kane isn't it? The sort of money you would have to expect any world class player we sign to get paid as a minimum. Unless you want to tell me you think Bale is worth 60k per week and is about as valuable to us as Lamela or something - we are splitting the difference of 100k per week or 5.2mil per year.
For me that's not overly risky financially. Especially when I would expect a lot of his contract to consist of bonuses for appearances and goals.
I would go as far as to say his name alone would be financially beneficial to us for a similar sum at least.

Get your point about leaving the 300k+ players to those others clubs for now. I dont want to see us wasting money on players that potentially go all Ozil on us. The flip side is that all the while we don't match those kinds of figures, more situations like Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Walker, Rose, Eriksen will continue to arise.
We are financially capable of paying 1 or 2 of the best players in the world this kind of money, I don't personally see it as a risk for Bale because I have watched him closely for a very long time, and fail to see anything other than a player that would take us a step beyond where we are now. Very few players we are capable of signing do that - and think Bale falls into this category of us not being capable of signing.

Real are a horrible club with a horrible fan base. Zidane wants to get rid of him and Perez wants him to stay as far as I can see. If they genuinely want to offload him most likely with an eye on FFP, I'm far from one to look at the actions of that club as a benchmark of 'the right thing to do'.

To sign a world class player this summer is certainly to do with our future. How the world including other players perceive us. Looking at the past is important too for realising where you have come from and learning from situations - but this has got nothing to do with him being possibly the biggest game changer we have ever had in the past. It's what he still is capable of now.
Who the fuck comes off the bench in a champions league final and scored and overhead kick?
Big player with big bollocks. Exactly what we need. I would see his signing now as a potential catalyst for stature growth much further into the future.

I also don't doubt that he would be one of our best players if he were to join. I wouldn't expect him to do shit like he did before - but would be expecting him to get things over the line in big games. Perhaps not from 30 yards or even overhead kicks - but big moments where you need someone capable of not losing their shit because of the situation.

Aint happening - but hypothetically I would take him all day.

I was just on about the age thing. They're both 30 (now), and yet you were talking about Bale like he's ready for the knackers yard!

Looking at my post I can in no way see any comment directly about his age but I believe neither he nor Sissoko would be considered a potential signing now in relation to the player profile Poch seems to be trying to bring in. It is younger players with a potential for him to develop over a period of time that are on the shopping list at the moment. So I agree that 30 years of age renders Bale as an unacceptable option under the current management I would in no way suggest he's ready for the knacker's yard, simply not what Spurs are presently trying to buy.

Having watched Federer at the weekend,aged 37, running around like a wild stag after over four hours of tennis I do not think Gareth is anywhere near putting out to pasture, simply not what Spurs need.

His service to the club was unquestionably loyal and the money that his sale brought in whilst squandered on a few 'no marks' definitely allowed the club to move forward and helped to build the foundations of where we are today. I'd like to look back on his time here with warm and happy memories rather than possibly regret spending £50m or whatever (plus wages) and watch him unable to recapture the glory days and have the fans walk home disappointed.

He is still an exceptional player and would grace many a team but his time with us is gone. As for Sissoko his performances recently have continued to impress me . Initially I had grave doubts about him (as I suspect did the majority of fans) but as I've said before on here I appreciate any player who genuinely gives his all and walks off the pitch exhausted. It is pointless being superbly talented but idle , give me somebody not particularly gifted but will sweat blood for 90 minutes every time instead. Suddenly he appears to be doing just that.

Those are the points I was trying to make my friend, my apologies if my initial post appeared 'ageist' ....at the age of 64 I have no right to point the finger at any footballer for being over the hill :thumbup: :coys:

Paying him 300k a week would destroy it. The Goons have been drifting ever since they offered bug eyes 350k. Oh, and they lost their best player on a free too.

It aint going to happen. He doesnt want to leave Madrid, we don't want him that bad. And for that I'm very grateful.

It's hard to say I suppose. Depends on the characters in the dressing room.
Certainly wouldn't compare us with Woolwich though. They have a right car crash going on there.

Rose probably isn't alone in wanting us to sign 'players you don't need to Google' and think most the squad would accept that Bale ought to be on higher salaries than themselves. Who realistically would have an argument to the contrary?

Kane? Really doesn't strike me as the sort to do anything but want to improve his performances to once again show his worth as the player we should be paying more than anyone else.

Dele? I think it would motivate him to up his game. He couldn't play like last season then go to Levy asking for nearer 300k per week. Still believe this guy will jump ship well before we want him to anyway.

Who else is there really that could make a jealous argument?

I don't get why it would destroy the dressing room to be honest. See it as the opposite.
Yeah won't happen, but the same hypothetical argument would stand if it were say M'Bappe or whatever.

In the positive,he has won things,is a leader on the pitch is quite good;)All we are looking for really.
My beef with it all is the wages he would be getting,the way this would unsettle players. If he realised the team wasn't being based around him,took a hit on his money and knew he was their to install a mentality to get over the line,and quite often be a sub,i would take a punt.
But none of this is going to happen,so its a no from me.

And as for the effing top knot...
For that reason alone...

it seems no one is allowed to want Bale without being accused of living in the past. Forget the Bale years, they're irrelevant - if we have a chance to sign world class players that improve the team, and importantly can afford it, then we should.

If he plays 29 league games and 42 overall for us next year then we will 100% win plenty more games, There aren't many players in the world you can say that of. The lad is a match winner and a big game player.

Imagine a front 3 of Bale/Son/Kane, with combinations of Alli/NDombele/Winks/Celso behind them. Holy Shit.

Its not a signing i would necessarily advocate but if it happened i'd be excited about it.

Nostalgia FC really, really need to let this Gareth Bale thing go.

They need to be honest with themselves and ask, if he you took all his injury issues and age, that he’s 30 and always been reliant on his athletic prowess, that he seems to have fallen out of love with the game, and those wages which see him earn at least 2.5x more than anybody else at Spurs...

... If he had never played for Spurs previously (and been so brilliant) would we even be have this conversation?

It’s not 2010-13 anymore, and Similar to what I said about Dani Alves, I hate the idea of us signing declining players just because they have big reputations. I’d rather see us sign Nicolas Pepe than Gareth Bale, just like I’d rather we signed Atal or Aarons instead of Alves, and this isn’t even without adding in that our manager, the cornerstone of this club is in his absolute element when working with young hungry players. We are in the position where we can attract the best young players, N’Dombele has proven this and it’s the strategy that has got us here.

Back
Top Bottom