Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

D9xZFCCXUAAfGaP.jpg
That's confirmed it he's never signing for us now.

If Eriksen is off to Real Madrid, how about we push for this kid at part of the deal? He was on loan at Borussia Dortmund last year and has bags of potential:

If all else fails with a move for Lo Celso, Hakimi & Ceballos wouldn't be a bad deal out of a not so great situation of Eriksen wanting a move. He can play both as a left back and right back so he'd offer the versatility Poch loves as well.

I love highlight videos for defenders that don't actually show them doing any defending.

Both lads now on yellows.

Papa Poch, also known as the most carded player in Espanyol history probably has a massive stiffy now.

Poch never saw a yellow card challenge he didn’t think was clean. He’d pull so many reds in today’s game he’d have played about 10 matches in his career due to all the suspensions.

Liverpool fans are fucking arrogant entitled cunts.

I'm fine for that, thanks.
No man , l dont get that ride . Met many in Madrid and being honest brother they were fine , helpful , good company .
I wont turkey shoot if l aint got it loaded.
Yes they have expectations and see winning as everything but as Uncle Woodrow says " the corn wont rise if you dont believe "

Argentina now face Venezuela at the Maracana on Friday - let's hope they lose or it will be another two weeks before anything happens with Lo Celso, that's because players almost never get transferred whilst on International duty ... simply doesn't happen mostly for logistical reasons ... medicals etc.

Lo Celso deal is still a week away at best - for anybody not just us ....
NDombele / Fernandes / Asensio are all probably dependent on Eriksen leaving ....
Anderson is probably dependent on Toby leaving ....

Sessegnon - get it done
Clarke - get it done

Eriksen, Toby, Tripps, Danny ... make your bloody minds up, new contracts or bugger off but please do it soon

With agents firmly in control the days of players driving to the new team to force a move are resigned to the hilarious past. There is so much money involved these days that nobody wants to blink due to what they have to lose. Hopefully not but I dare say it will drag on

The very thin icing on the cake will be watching the ITK's back peddle at the last second.

We have them, they just need to find form
Trippier has the worst season of his career, worst Tottenham player costing us

Sammy: Guys be patient, he just needs to find his form

Dele, a younger player who has enjoyed a more consistent career so far, has a season below his standards

Sammy: Fraud, he's done for and is now a shit player. Sell him, get him oot the fookin club

Trippier has the worst season of his career, worst Tottenham player costing us

Sammy: Guys be patient, he just needs to find his form

Dele, a younger player who has enjoyed a more consistent career so far, has a season below his standards

Sammy: Fraud, he's done for and is now a shit player. Sell him, get him oot the fookin club

I find it hilarious that some people think last season with Wan Bissaka in for Trippier would have made a bigger difference than swapping out Dele for someone like Sane.

Too many want to "aim high" but sign average players in positions that wont take us up a level....you are too into poster boys. You all talk a good transfer window, but when it comes to it, you genuinely believe we cant upgrade on Dele fucking Alli.

How low ball can you get? "We´d win stuff with Walker" ......Only we didnt.

Its extremely interesting also that the minute the season ended, everyone was quick to talk about how poor Dele was below par and we should give him time etc etc etc

During the season though, the same people said he was world class and playing well. Flip flopping all over the shop. Remember when you wanted us to pay 50M for Barkley who was better than Winks.
But Rabiot or Bale wouldnt be an upgrade on Dele, hahaha

Here is what I don't get.

There is so much made of Pochettino's ability to develop players. If truth be told I would query that a little, over his ability up to last year of instilling a playing philosophy that the players brought into and then put into practice.

If the theory holds then surely we need players who don't quite need to be from the top bracket but ones who Pochettino can develop? Or am I missing something?

I ask because there is a real gap in what we are being told to believe about Pochettino and a transfer policy or strategy that seems to encapsulate player development.

As though we have to now buy finished articles hence the difficulty in buying players other clubs can buy who sit in and around us or even below.

It's a complete joke if truth be told and in the last 15 years the weirdest period I can remember because we seem incapable of action and even shorter of a vision.

Here is what I don't get.

There is so much made of Pochettino's ability to develop players. If truth be told I would query that a little, over his ability up to last year of instilling a playing philosophy that the players brought into and then put into practice.

If the theory holds then surely we need players who don't quite need to be from the top bracket but ones who Pochettino can develop? Or am I missing something?

I ask because there is a real gap in what we are being told to believe about Pochettino and a transfer policy or strategy that seems to encapsulate player development.

As though we have to now buy finished articles hence the difficulty in buying players other clubs can buy who sit in and around us or even below.

It's a complete joke if truth be told and in the last 15 years the weirdest period I can remember because we seem incapable of action and even shorter of a vision.
There’s two arguments and they weirdly come from the same people who flippantly contradict themselves the whole time.

“Spend big it’s the only way”
But
“We can no way afford him or him or him”

“We need players who can immediately improve the first team”
But
“Dele and Eriksen should NEVER be dropped”

“Poch is a master at training players to his system”
But
“Our squad is shit, sign Sessengon”

Fuck me

Too many want to "aim high" but sign average players in positions that wont take us up a level....you are too into poster boys. You all talk a good transfer window, but when it comes to it, you genuinely believe we cant upgrade on Dele fucking Alli.

That's your opinion which of course you are entitled to hold ... but when the entire footballing world has Dele in their top thirty player list - opta, squwacka, tranfermarket the list just goes on and on ...

Just maybe you're the one who's a little bit off base, have you ever considered that possibility?

NDombele / Fernandes / Asensio are all probably dependent on Eriksen leaving ....
Ndombele shouldnt be dependent on anyone leaving, he's filling the Dembele shaped hole that should have been sorted out last summer, maybe earlier.

If we can't get what seems clear to be our manager's first choice for an area we are desperately weak in before we look at further strengthening and giving him the tools to do the job then we may as well just accept that he'll be off sooner rather than later.

We've just made £150 million-odd from the European campaign, we're not fucking Bolton Wanderers

That's your opinion which of course you are entitled to hold ... but when the entire footballing world has Dele in their top thirty player list - opta, squwacka, tranfermarket the list just goes on and on ...

Just maybe you're the one who's a little bit off base, have you ever considered that possibility?

And how many of those stats were compiled from three years ago....and how many from the last two years.
Hes nothing without his breakthrough seasons.

Stop living in the past....I dont care about websites mish mashing plaudits from 2016 and making it sound like Dele had a good 2019.
Watch him instead

Ndombele shouldnt be dependent on anyone leaving, he's filling the Dembele shaped hole that should have been sorted out last summer, maybe earlier.

If we can't get what seems clear to be our manager's first choice for an area we are desperately weak in before we look at further strengthening and giving him the tools to do the job then we may as well just accept that he'll be off sooner rather than later.

We've just made £150 million-odd from the European campaign, we're not fucking Bolton Wanderers

Hard to argue with this.

Earlier this year we were flying and looking like we could in fact win the league. Then the Burnley match happened and we couldn't buy a goal. Our star players - Kane, Eriksen, Alli all accused of losing form over the season and Trippier scapegoated for our poor form.

So, did our star players suddenly become crap? People suggesting Llorente get picked ahead of Kane in the ECL final. Calls to bench our most productive player in Eriksen.

No...Our weakness was exposed and other teams took advantage of it.

Previously we relied on 2 options to bring the ball out from the back.

1. Dembele step through their midfield and pick out Eriksen. Obivously; we lost Dembele. Sissoko did a great job defensively but wasn't able to pick out a clever pass. As a result Eriksen needed to drop deeper to get the ball and was not afforded the time on the ball required. With Eriksen now deeper, the defenders could closely mark Dele and Kane without the threat of Eriksen in an attacking position.

2. Toby play the long ball to our fall backs on the wing. Oppositions picked up on this and simply closed down Toby. This forced our full backs to drop deeper to pick up the sideways pass rather than run onto a long ball. This meant that Rose and Trips were under more pressure defensively and Trips was caught out on a few occasions by short passes he didn't want/expect.

3. In attack we don't tend to push players early into the box. As a result, early crosses are in effective as it is usually 4 or 5 against 1 striker. Oppositions knew that they therefore could afford more space to our full backs since an early ball wasn't an option. This allowed them to cut out the passing lanes to Dele, Eriksen and Kane.

In short : We weren't able to adjust quick enough due to not having the skillset available in our squad. Poor options in midfield crippled the ability of our creative players to find the ball in dangerous positions as they were forced to seek the 'easy pass'.

What we need : A midfield combination with good passing range to take or 3 opposition players out of the game with a clever pass. This will allow Eriksen and Alli to get on the ball in more dangerous positions and be able to play that clever ball for Son / Kane / Moura. It will also allow our full backs to move up the pitch earlier and thus draw their midfielders wide; creating more space.

Back
Top Bottom