Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nothing we didnt know, but Dan K (who is probably journalist with closest links to club) saying Hojbjerg to Spurs (£15m) and KWP to Southampton (£12m) is well advanced.

Also Aurier to Inter less advanced with Inter trying to pull the (very reasonable £20m ?) price down. Think he's just adding weight to the rumours that Aurier is almost certainly off.

That's a fraction of what we earn compared to our mains sponsor deals which have been unaffected

No our sponsorship income is not large (a fraction of ManU, but growing nicely). The exhibition and conference business was growing very nicely (Spurs have 3rd largest facilities in London) and in a full year might be worth £50m ish and growing. So a significant loss.

Our food and drink was running at circa £1m+ per match....so might be £30m+ pa....but add on food and drink from exhibitions, concerts etc and you might be looking at £40m- £50m.

Those 2 together might well be 20% - 25% of annual income.....gone overnight

And our match day revenue dwarfs ManU's so a much bigger loss as I say

Man City wanting Koulibaly, Lautaro Martinez, Joao Felix, Ake and Chilwell..

part of me wants to see it happen, just to see the amount of carnage that line up could cause.

Sky Sports Italia is garbage but this is the first time we've seen an actual figure in terms of what Spurs want for Ndombele (their money back, duh) and Inter not willing to pay that and here's a highly rated CB, but still not much "new", just sort of combining everything into one article, and all of the push is coming out of Italian sources.

Wonder what Levy values Skriniar at, but I imagine he's very close in valuation to Ndombele. Skriniar is only 25, so this seems to be something both Jose and Levy would be on board with.

I'm still quite concerned about our creativity going forward if we lose a progressive passer in midfield, and something like this would necessitate a 4-2-3-1 and likely open a spot for Dele as the 10. If we can get Buendía that would help a ton, but there's been no links to him.

Last season we had aspirations for Dybala and Bale, year before that was Isco

Now we've been reduced to bargains at relegated teams like Troy fucking Deeney

Amazing how far ENIC's have sunken our expectations through financial brainwash in the paid-for media claiming impending administration and bankruptcy while in reality continued to bleed the club dry

Cut the cancer out so the body can begin to heal!
£120m less in income will do that to you.

That's a fraction of what we earn compared to our mains sponsor deals which have been unaffected

This is not true - our latest commercial income numbers, which was based on CL participation, was £135m. It will like decrease due to our EL participation. So we make nearly as much on event and matchday revenue as we do on commercial at the moment, which is why Spurs are more effected than some others, either because of significantly higher commercial revenues (United) or owners (City, Chelsea).

Last edited:

FYI :

Results to June 2019 :

Revenue for the year ended 30 June 2019 was £460.7m (2018: £380.7m).

Sponsorship and corporate hospitality revenue was £120.3m (2018: £93.4m) and merchandising revenue was £20.6m (2018: £16.0m). Other revenue contributed £24.1m (2018: £14.5m).

Corporate hospitality includes the high end tickets (eg Tunnel club etc), so sponsorships were sub £100m last financial year, although expected to grow this year.

Hence my remark that the loss of the exhibition & conference revenues, food and drink sales etc are also a significant loss to add to the ticket income and corporate hospitality revenue streams.

Have you seen him play much or are you basing this on the price quoted?
Watched a few Soton games before the virus because I'm a fan of WP. He didn't seem anything special than but if he's coming, then hopefully he has hidden depths. Otherwise Winks will do for me.

I'm guessing the transfer fees have been agreed but now they have to agree on how the fees will be paid, agents probably sticking their noses in and wanting to make sure they get their cuts etc
Agents really are the parasites of the football world!

FYI :

Results to June 2019 :

Revenue for the year ended 30 June 2019 was £460.7m (2018: £380.7m).

Sponsorship and corporate hospitality revenue was £120.3m (2018: £93.4m) and merchandising revenue was £20.6m (2018: £16.0m). Other revenue contributed £24.1m (2018: £14.5m).

Corporate hospitality includes the high end tickets (eg Tunnel club etc), so sponsorships were sub £100m last financial year, although expected to grow this year.

Hence my remark that the loss of the exhibition & conference revenues, food and drink sales etc are also a significant loss to add to the ticket income and corporate hospitality revenue streams.
So we've lost 120m in 6 home games?

na, this is typical united,if they want him they will get him whatever the price, im pretty sure they done the same for Fernandez,made out they didnt want to pay as much to try and get the price down, see every Chairman wants to be like our Don Levy!
daniel-levy-800x504.jpg
"I'm going to make them an offer they can't refuse"

Do you have some proof to back that up?
Woolwich's matchday revenue is around £100m, which has always been the rough, baseline estimate of the new stadium given the similar capacity and amenities. However, Spurs is expected to be higher because of increased food and drink sales as well as other events (NFL, Rugby, Boxing, Concerts) where the club will get catering revenue at a minimum, so £120m is a pretty good estimate based on the last three years of financial figures on matchday revenue and attendance.

It's the main reason why the stadium debt is not an issue because it more than pays for itself and then some.

It feels like more people are coming around to the idea they are trying to run the club on the least amount of input for the maximum output.
Even the expensive stadium if you really think about it, is a money making device. Maximize revenue from match days, rent it out for non-football events. Finance most of it rather than pay up front from the pot etc.
Ultimately, they wagered they could make more every month than the cost to repay it.
Have you only just realised this?

Back
Top Bottom