Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be blessed with a wonderful natural footballing talent like he has and then not feel any need or desire to use it during the peak period of your career is tantamount to criminal in my book. He may well feel that he's 'proving a point' to everyone at Real Madrid (particularly Zidane) with his sarcastic poses on the substitutes bench and taking his millions of unearned pieces of silver until his contract runs out.
One day however, his two daughters and son will ask about his playing days and he will somehow have to explain those wasted years in Spain just sitting on his arse or playing golf.

What he is doing, or allowing his agent to do, will one day, in the years that lie ahead, come back to haunt him.

How much waste is it though?

He has won trophies being a big contributor, done everything he can for Wales internationally to get them as much success as they can expect, had amazing personal seasons both here and at RM and now is still part of winning teams albeit on the bench.

It isn't like he is turning down amazing offers to go play in great situations for big bucks.

I am also not sure how much his money is unearned when it is the manager deciding not play him rather than him not being good enough or being too lazy to play.

24 (days short of 25) and he's never played in the top division anywhere?

I dunno, if I were after a tricky winger with a grammatically inexplicable umlaut in his name, I'd go for Ismaila Sarr

Mahrez was of a similar age before he tasted top flight football. Having spent the majority of his career up until that point playing in the lower leagues in France.

Vardy - hadn't played a top flight game until he was 27.... just won the Golden Boot etc.

If you have enough drive, you could eventually get your break. This isn't a Michael Chopra or Cameron Jerome having a good season in the Championship, let's take a gamble. It's a 'This player is obviously ridiculously talented, has end product and a threat to defences' Let's see what he's about at the right price and replacing a similar spot.

Sarr is a good player though, you're right. He's one I said we should have signed about 2 years ago on this forum.

The opposite of Gareth Bale. Wants to play football, wants to be a big player at a big club, and is willing to walk away from some money to do it.
No, doesn’t it just mean Man U didn’t want to pay £45m for the remainder of his contract so by cancelling it he can get a fucking massive signing on bonus now and still pick up £150k a week? A by product is getting to play football and live in a better city

Anyone seen Benrahma play on multiple occasions? Is he actually any good?

Watched him in the playoff final and he looked like a headless chicken with zero end product but I'm well aware that's the only time i've ever seen him play
Him and especially Watkins are both players we should be looking at.

How much waste is it though?
By not playing regular football his International performances may well deteriorate and he will find himself out of the squad.
How much waste is it ?? If I had his ability and missed playing just one top level match through anything other than injury I would be at home breaking my heart and then doing everything possible in the gym and training sessions to ensure I definitely didn't miss the next one. I certainly wouldn't just fuck off and hit a little white ball around a golf course. Like everything else, you only realise how much you miss something when it's gone and a footballer's playing life span is very short. The only person he's really hurting with these tactics is himself and his future memories of the game.

Last edited:
24 (days short of 25) and he's never played in the top division anywhere?

I dunno, if I were after a tricky winger with a grammatically inexplicable umlaut in his name, I'd go for Ismaila Sarr
Hakim Ziyech is 27 and was at Ajax for 4 years until Chelsea finally came for him. Kante was in the French 2nd division when he was that age.

Stranger things have happened (Vardy!) and he's like an upgrade on Lamela on the wing, who only has 2 years left on his contract.

No, doesn’t it just mean Man U didn’t want to pay £45m for the remainder of his contract so by cancelling it he can get a fucking massive signing on bonus now and still pick up £150k a week? A by product is getting to play football and live in a better city

It's less overall money though.

It's the kind of thing Bale has been unwilling to do. The only move he was willing to make was to China for an even fatter wage packet.

Hakim Ziyech is 27 and was at Ajax for 4 years until Chelsea finally came for him. Kante was in the French 2nd division when he was that age.

Stranger things have happened (Vardy!) and he's like an upgrade on Lamela on the wing, who only has 2 years left on his contract.

Age and league is such a stupid stick to beat someone with.

If we sign him, judge him on his Spurs performances. Where he's surrounded by better players, with a 'world class' coach playing at a higher level.

By not playing regular football his International performances may well deteriorate and he will find himself out of the squad.
How much waste is it ?? If I had his ability and missed playing just one top level match through anything other than injury then I would be at home breaking my heart and then doing everything possible in the gym and training sessions to ensure I definitely didn't miss the next one. I certainly wouldn't just fuck off and hit a little white ball around a golf course. Like everything else, you only realise how much you miss something when it's gone and a footballer's playing life span is very short. The only person he's really hurting with these tactics is himself and his future memories of the game.

What would you propose he do throw away millions of dollars just to play a game in which he already has achieved the pinnacle of team and personal glory, has a lifetime of memories at the highest level and a closet full of trophies/winners medals?

I think if i was older and realized how much money I threw away chasing a few more games I would be pretty upset with myself. Especially if I was able to do something I liked even more while making said money.

Benrahma has looked class when I've seen him. Interested to see him play against better, stronger, quicker defenders. Lazy comparison might be Mahrez who became a 'prolific' goal-scoring wide player at a similar age. Benrahma has scored a lot more goals than Mahrez ever managed in the Championship and I think he'll make a successful step up. He could be a quality signing if it we shift Lamela and make it happen. Likelihood 2/10. He'll end up at Leeds.

What would you propose he do throw away millions of dollars just to play a game in which he already has achieved the pinnacle of team and personal glory, has a lifetime of memories at the highest level and a closet full of trophies/winners medals?

I think if i was older and realized how much money I threw away chasing a few more games I would be pretty upset with myself. Especially if I was able to do something I liked even more while making said money.
This is where we will respectfully disagree. You talk of throwing away millions of dollars 'just to play a game' but it isn't just playing a game. It's the opportunity to show your God given skills in an arena where only the greatest meet and compete and in my eyes that's worth far more.
Achieving the pinnacle of team and personal glory is one thing but what makes a truly great player is having the hunger and desire to achieve those glories again, and again and again. If I was Gareth Bale now and I had a 'closet full of trophies/winners medals' I wouldn't be sitting in an armchair smugly looking at them whilst on the TV my team mates were playing Champion's League football. I'd be ordering a second closet and doing everything fucking possible to fill that one as well.

Age and league is such a stupid stick to beat someone with.

If we sign him, judge him on his Spurs performances. Where he's surrounded by better players, with a 'world class' coach playing at a higher level.

Oh you completely judge them based on performances when they get here.

But age and league matters when making these analyses.

Benrahma and Ebrechi Eze had similar success in the Championship this season. You would much rather have the guy that's three whole years younger.

Oh you completely judge them based on performances when they get here.

But age and league matters when making these analyses.

Benrahma and Ebrechi Eze had similar success in the Championship this season. You would much rather have the guy that's three whole years younger.

When it's the Slovakian second division sure.

14 goals and 8 assists in the equivalent of 45 games (4063) minutes for a shocking QPR team (who else is going to get their goals?) is impressive.

And 17 goals and 9 assists in the equivalent of 39 games (3547 minutes) in a high flying Brentford side is also impressive. Especially coming off the back of a season where he scored 10 goals and got 15 assists in 2452 minutes (equivalent to 27 games) the year before.

I wouldn't be upset if we signed either of them. Like I said, this isn't like signing someone like Cameron Jerome on the back of scoring 18 goals in the Championship - both these players have shown vision, end product and a class above their opponents for the most part.

Just like Grealish did for Villa. Maddison did for Norwich. Traore did for Middlesbrough etc etc.

I disagree actually.
Zidane, the fans and the club have treated Bale like shit and when it looked like a move had been found to satisfy all parties Real Madrid changed their minds and scuppered the deal at the last minute.
He's had a successful career and won loads for the club, but Zidane won't play him no matter how good he is and the club won't sell him, neither of which are his fault.
He turns up to training and other commitments when he's supposed to so he's fulfilling his contract. What's he supposed to do?
Leave

Probably will be refinanced or rolled over before it is due. Spurs will not be out £637 million then.

Already has been.... (Also see article,)

But yeah, Spurs financed almost 40% of the project. That’s a relatively high percentage for projects of this type. Without seeing the basis for the financing, it strikes me as a conservative financing structure by Spurs. Probably could have financed more of it via loans.

Yep.... Could have been left with far more debt and far shittier repayment terms which could have hindered us far more and for longer.

Still, the divs would rather bang on every day about how the owners have been theiving instead.

Last edited:
what about coutinho

I wouldn't want us to sign Coutinho. I've made those feelings clear. Mainly as I don't see WHERE he fits in, the wages would be astronomical and there are more important positions to fill.

Wouldn't refuse to back him however if he puts that Spurs shirt on. Just like I've made my feelings clear that Hojbjerg is bang average and there are better out there but if Mourinho wants him, I'll back him.

Back
Top Bottom