Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but we want an ATM who has more than one goal and three assists in him since he joined the premier league a couple of years ago.
Wouldn't disagree but he's been injured for a large portion, wasn't integrated immediately, has been played deep and with a mix of partners. I personally think he's a much better footballer than Ali.

I think that young, energetic pain in the arse has gone forever. He can't spend the game waiting for one flick to come off, needs to bring more to the field IMHO. Fingers crossed he can find his MOJO

The thing about Vlahovic is before last season, he was going to be sold by Fiorentina. They are the team I follow in Italy and he started the season poorly missing an open goal vs Inter and being at fault for their comeback (they won 4-3 in the last minute). Was a great game actually!

He was awful under Montella and he constantly changed between Vlahovic, Cutrone (yep, the ex-Wolves guy) and Koaume. So he defo was not 'great' at that stage (last season still!)

Then Montella got sacked and Iachini came in. Fiorentina started playing some awful, sit-back and long-ball counter football (akin to Mourinho) but he started playing better. He basically scored the important goals and held the ball up well and etc. He defo sacrificed himself for the team.

Then the last Manager Prandelli came in (Fiorentina had 3 managers last season) and he was unreal. Under Prandelli, there was a tactical change and they tried to attack more.

When people say he had 1 amazing season, I feel that is kind of untrue. I feel like he was amazing come season end but was not so impressive since the first game of last season.

On the flipside, he played really well or excellently under 2 managers with completely different tactical approaches and philosophy and he delivered, showing that he is probably not a one-trick pony as a striker.

I think he has what it takes from a physical, technical and from all reports, psychological point of view (is hungry) but i'd be very careful. He was hot stuff for less than a season, really.

I'd have gone for someone more established (Lukaku) where you definitely know what you are getting but what are the chances that a player of that calibre comes to us? 🤷‍♂️

I guess we'll have to take a pun on potential. Vlahovic could be that guy, but wouldn't bank on a guy that was amazing for 6 months either...
Good stuff.

Very basic question - how quick is he? So, if we’re up against a top six side and they push up, playing a high line, the ball gets played through, would he have the pace to take it on himself?

Hiring NES has knocked the stuffing out of me. Grave reservations about Paratici already, It does not appear that Levy has stepped back from the footballing side of things, and then there is the familiarly glacial pace of negotiations, which begs the question as to whom is doing the negotiating.

Heathen!!

HandyDimpledAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

Nah - Liverpool and Woolwich, even us aren’t far behind utd in revenue. 15 years ago maybe but definitely levelled up now
We've caught up because the competition has spread out, that's the thing.

If it hadn't changed back then, the TV money wouldn't have gone mental, the top 4 would possibly not have been a thing (used to only get 2 CL spots) and it would have been United every year with a random challenge.

I think the Tielemans signing was on Poch, not Levy. By all accounts Levy was prepared to sign him, but Poch didn't fancy him. I was tracking Tielemans when he was at Anderlecht, you could tell he was always going to be a top player. £40m was a lot to sign him, but well worth it consider the market today.

I live in Coventry so saw Maddison play at Coventry at lot. He was always destined for the PL, but I'm surrpised how well he did start. He's nowhere near Eriksen levels, and I don't think he will reach that level. Likewise he's not as good as Mount, Grealish and Foden. However, I still think he would have been a good signing, and would get into our XI now.

Maguire I agree with, but at the time we had peak Alderweireld and Vertonghen. We had also signed Sanchez who at the time looked like he could be one of the world's best (fuck me we got it wrong). Sometimes it is just a case of looking at what you have, and seeing whether it's worth the signing. You win some, you lose some.

I'm in the same boat as Martinez at the moment. Although Kane might stay, for £60-70m, I think we have to sign him. He's top draw, built for the Premier League and would give us something different. It's not a priority position to improve on yet (I think centre back and right back is a lot more of a priority) however, if Martinez is offered then we should jump on it. Otherwise he'll end up elsewhere and we'll be strolling around with our tail between our legs.
it's clear we need a mix of signings, some bigger names, some prospects, whether any of them actually make it is another thing.

Seasoned pros bring experience, and should invigorate the fans and younger players, youth keeps everyone on their toes and there is less expectations on them.

We've caught up because the competition has spread out, that's the thing.

If it hadn't changed back then, the TV money wouldn't have gone mental, the top 4 would possibly not have been a thing (used to only get 2 CL spots) and it would have been United every year with a random challenge.
Possibly, but not wholly convinced (with the Glazers at the helm)!

That evaluation has absolutely silk gloves on.

I posted here a comparison with Leicester and ours track record of past 5 seasons (so that will include also last summer where Poch was not at the helm), but the difference was cosmic. Leicester have purchased Fofana, Soyüncu, Pereira, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielmans, Maddisson, Maguire, Evans, Justin across past 5 years. That is 10 good players. 2 per season . Only ones from ours from same period have been Wanyama (could not have seen his injury issues coming) and Hjojberg.

And we have spent same kind of money during this time, btw.
And the money they got from the sales of, first, Kante* and, then, Mahrez - both bought in before those 5 seasons you mentioned - allowed them to invest "freely" (yet very wisely) in those players.

*PS! According to Football Leaks, Chelsea offered to transfer a part of the salary into an offshore account to avoid taxes. Kanté refused with his lawyer stating in an email: "N'golo is flexible, he simply wants a normal salary."

it's clear we need a mix of signings, some bigger names, some prospects, whether any of them actually make it is another thing.

Seasoned pros bring experience, and should invigorate the fans and younger players, youth keeps everyone on their toes and there is less expectations on them.
Agree we are desperate for some youth to add energy and enthusiasm, even from the bench

Reservations over Romero, Gil, Gollini deals and potentially Tomiyasu/Martinez/Vlahovic?
I have zero reservations about any of this list. Five is one of my favourite posters I'm a bit bemused by his depression ditto on NES, who is a good man and (I watched his Valencia) side not the defensive coach folk think. He is a pragmatist, and dumping the frankly toxic human being in Mourinho has made me far less disenchanted with our direction of travel.

I've been a Spurs fan too long to worry about potentially a mid table season or two. We are buying young technically gifted footballers with a high ceiling. This is what made us a title challenging team in the first place can't wait to get back to that.

Evidently Hercutits over at Simp Community has been reading the rumours on the City forums about the Kane deal being a goer again...

Hercules​

Well-Known Gobshite​

🙈 Citeh back again…FFS…
Fed up of all this. Only way we know is our way and terms!

Hercules​

Well-Known Dog Nonce​

Though very amicable (now…) The expectation is they will come near, if not on par with what we want. Until then you know the stuff that has been stated already.

I think partially the point here is that a lot of peeps herald Leicester & BVB as geniuses to be admired, but the truth is many of those same people simply don't have the stomach for what that actually means from window to window.

I'd suggest Spurs model for buying and selling players changed about a year or so after Poch joined with him wanting more experienced/expensive players (eg Sissoko, Aurier) rather than Spurs previous model of buying undervalued/discarded players (eg Tielmans) and young prospects (Dawson for example).

Leicester were the main beneficiaries as they took up Spurs model - and have benefitted greatly, snapping up James Justin (RB/LB now E u21) from Luton, previously David Pleat would have ensured Spurs got him as well as Tielmans et al.

The thing about Vlahovic is before last season, he was going to be sold by Fiorentina. They are the team I follow in Italy and he started the season poorly missing an open goal vs Inter and being at fault for their comeback (they won 4-3 in the last minute). Was a great game actually!

He was awful under Montella and he constantly changed between Vlahovic, Cutrone (yep, the ex-Wolves guy) and Koaume. So he defo was not 'great' at that stage (last season still!)

Then Montella got sacked and Iachini came in. Fiorentina started playing some awful, sit-back and long-ball counter football (akin to Mourinho) but he started playing better. He basically scored the important goals and held the ball up well and etc. He defo sacrificed himself for the team.

Then the last Manager Prandelli came in (Fiorentina had 3 managers last season) and he was unreal. Under Prandelli, there was a tactical change and they tried to attack more.

When people say he had 1 amazing season, I feel that is kind of untrue. I feel like he was amazing come season end but was not so impressive since the first game of last season.

On the flipside, he played really well or excellently under 2 managers with completely different tactical approaches and philosophy and he delivered, showing that he is probably not a one-trick pony as a striker.

I think he has what it takes from a physical, technical and from all reports, psychological point of view (is hungry) but i'd be very careful. He was hot stuff for less than a season, really.

I'd have gone for someone more established (Lukaku) where you definitely know what you are getting but what are the chances that a player of that calibre comes to us? 🤷‍♂️

I guess we'll have to take a pun on potential. Vlahovic could be that guy, but wouldn't bank on a guy that was amazing for 6 months either...
RM did on Bale, and look how that turned out, initially at least.
Bale had a breakout season when RM signed him, but it was only really the latter part of that season where he REALLY looked World Class. Let us not forget that Redknapp was on the verge of loaning him out at one point.

We even had fans claiming that Kane would never make it, based on his early performances with us.

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to a player succeeding or failing, but you can only base your judgement on whether the player has the requisite tools that give him the best chance of succeeding, talent, work ethic, mental strength and desire. If he has all of these then it increases his chances of being a success, Kane being the prime example of this.

I've never seen the guy play so, in your opinion, would you say he has all of those attributes?

And the money they got from the sales of, first, Kante* and, then, Mahrez - both bought in before those 5 seasons you mentioned - allowed them to invest "freely" (yet very wisely) in those players.

*PS! According to Football Leaks, Chelsea offered to transfer a part of the salary into an offshore account to avoid taxes. Kanté refused with his lawyer stating in an email: "N'golo is flexible, he simply wants a normal salary."
A player as likable as Kante being on Chelsea is so unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom