Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After all these years I still don’t know if he’s good or not.
My brain is rotten. I've seen Kim and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia play 5+ times each. You know your life has taken a wrong turn somewhere when you can spell Khvicha Kvaratskhelia without a second thought.

Ignoring the various permutations around players to be loaned, I think the following is a realistic view on the key incomings and the outgoings that will fund them:

Out:
- Gio (25m)
- Winks (10m)
- CCV (10m)
- Bergjwin (25m)
- Rodon (15m)

Total 85m

In addition one of Doherty/Emerson will go.

In:
- Eriksen (Free)
- Sam Johnstone (Free)
- Pau Torres (50m)
- Unidentified RWB (30-40m)
- Unidentified attacker (70m)
- Unidentified CM (Free or cheap)

Net spend: 70m.

Key points:
- I don't think we address LWB this summer. Another year of Sess and Reg
- Could see Gio, Gil, Emerson and/or Ndombele being used in swap deals
- Think we go big at CB, RWB and try to bring a big name attacker in
Doesn't seem like that's enough to get us reliably challenging for trophies.

We need top quality CMs, not just free/cheap ones.

Yea, looking at current squad, if I would have to pick either to splunge out 70 mil into one position it would 100% be for CM.

Top class CM would start every game that he is fit.
While on the attacking front we have 2 players nailed down and are absolute world class.

Furthermore - adding a quick passing CM into the lineup will move ball forward quicker, which gives our current world class attackers more room and freedom!

Yup.

[WB] / [CM] / [DM] / Eriksen / [WB]
Kane / Son

Or

[WB] / [CM1] / [CM2] / [WB]
Eriksen / Son
Kane

Or

[WB] / [CM1] / [CM2] / [WB]
Eriksen / Kane / Son

I was thinking along the same lines.
If our options would be different, I could see Conte shifting the system to some extent.

Either

[WB] / Skippy/Bissouma / [WB]
Eriksen / Kane
Son

or specially if we play against deep-defending teams something like that:
(most likely not starting like this, but gives option with subs)

[WB] / Bissouma / [WB]
Kulusevski / Eriksen
Kane / Son

Anyway - given how we have played past 2 years and Kane excellent deep-passing ability it will always be Son running behind the line, so he should be in most advanced position in the lineup.
And if Bissouma is a pipe-dream and we can get in Eriksen, I would be fine to see us getting Gueye back to EPL for short term option.

It's understood by "all" that Spurs will need at least 1 top-class CM for the next season. Below are my candidates. It's a list that compromises of a "starter" and eventual back-ups:
I know about the charges of Bissouma, so if he's found guilty Spurs shouldn't of course buy him.
And Aurélien Tchouaméni (Monaco) is out of Spurs' reach as clubs like Real M., Bayern are after him

Yves Bissouma (Brighton)
Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)
Ruben Neves (Wolves)
Sergej Milinković-Savić (Lazio)
Lovro Majer (Rennes)
Fabián Ruiz (Napoli)
Weston McKennie (Juventus)
Boubacar Kamara (Marseille)
Florentino Luis (Benfica)
Ibrahim Sangaré (PSV)
Marc Roca (Bayern)
Teun Koopmeiners (Atalanta)
Antonín Barák (Hellas Verona)

Prospects
Alex Scott (Bristol City)
Enes Sali (FCV Farul)
Aster Vranckx (Wolfsburg)
Adam Karabec (Sparta Praha)
Amadou Onana (Lille)
Mamadou Coulibaly (Monaco)
Lesley Ugochukwu (Rennes)
Ched Ndour (Benfica)
Zidan Sertdemir (Leverkusen)

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Yea, looking at current squad, if I would have to pick either to splunge out 70 mil into one position it would 100% be for CM.

Top class CM would start every game that he is fit.
While on the attacking front we have 2 players nailed down and are absolute world class.

Furthermore - adding a quick passing CM into the lineup will move ball forward quicker, which gives our current world class attackers more room and freedom!
I'm amazed people rank CM above RWB in terms of priority.

Our ball progression has been fine with Bentancur and Hojbjerg. Conte's midfield 2 are required to be workhorses. Sure, we could add a bit more quality in there but it can't be at the expense of work rate and defensive awareness.

The wingbacks are our outball and constantly find themselves in good positions to deliver. It would be amazing if someone put together a compilation of all their failed deliveries from good positions - we'd have 10-15 more goals.

Not saying we need TAA and Robertson but get two wingbacks with composure who can pick out a man consistently and we will be flying.

Our ball progression has been fine with Bentancur and Hojbjerg. Conte's midfield 2 are required to be workhorses. Sure, we could add a bit more quality in there but it can't be at the expense of work rate and defensive awareness.

The wingbacks are our outball and constantly find themselves in good positions to deliver. It would be amazing if someone put together a compilation of all their failed deliveries from good positions - we'd have 10-15 more goals.

Not saying we need TAA and Robertson but get two wingbacks with composure who can pick out a man consistently and we will be flying.
CM is top with wing backs

we need someone creative there

bent and hojberg are too safe at times and against bus parkers that plays into their hands

I'm amazed you think this is true. We've been pressed to death by every single team who has taken the game to us. Both Bentancur & Hojbjerg badly struggle to retain possession (or progress us upfield) when crowded out. It's so blatantly obvious to me how necessary a Dembele type, press resistant footballer is to us.

These hard working, tidy enough midfielders who put a foot in are fine but they need someone in there with them who can really play. Otherwise we'll continue to struggle to not be bullied in midfield by sides like Brentford and Brighton.

CM is top with wing backs

we need someone creative there

bent and hojberg are too safe at times and against bus parkers that plays into their hands
I think if we had wingbacks that could take a man on/get in behind and deliver well, we all of a sudden start causing more problems for these bus parkers.

Right now Sess or Emerson receive the ball and either pass backwards or lump a hopeful ball into the box because they can't win 1v1s and generally don't deliver well.

I think Sess is better than Emerson at finding his man but that's an incredibly low bar.

I'm amazed you think this is true. We've been pressed to death by every single team who has taken the game to us. Both Bentancur & Hojbjerg badly struggle to retain possession (or progress us upfield) when crowded out. It's so blatantly obvious to me how necessary a Dembele type, press resistant footballer is to us.

These hard working, tidy enough midfielders who put a foot in are fine but they need someone in there with them who can really play. Otherwise we'll continue to struggle to not be bullied in midfield by sides like Brentford and Brighton.
Our progression has been fine as evidenced by the amount of goals we've scored in the second half of the season.

We've picked up 8/12 points against Liverpool and City, two of the best pressing teams in the world, so we are obviously not doing too badly on that front.

We all love Dembele but he had his faults too. One major one being his limited passing range and habit for holding on to the ball for too long - hardly ideal for a counter attacking team (as we are usually against the better sides).

Our issues are not against pressing sides they are against bus parkers so I don't think a press resistant midfielder is the solution.

My point is, I think this team improves more by having lets say Trippier and Alonso in at wingback than it does by having Bissouma or Dembele in for Hojbjerg with Sess and Emerson remaining at wingback.

Imagine how many more goals Kane would have if we had players capable of finding him from wide?

When was the last time we bought a player from the likes of Dortmund, Ac/Inter Milan, Sevilla, etc. when the player wasn't a surplus to requirement?

We're always restricted to the likes of Leverkusen, Real Betis etc.
That’s because we are pretty much at the level of those teams in the last decade. Except those teams have better European records (besides the Italian ones, who will each have won a league title).

Our progression has been fine as evidenced by the amount of goals we've scored in the second half of the season.

We've picked up 8/12 points against Liverpool and City, two of the best pressing teams in the world, so we are obviously not doing too badly on that front.

We all love Dembele but he had his faults too. One major one being his limited passing range and habit for holding on to the ball for too long - hardly ideal for a counter attacking team (as we are usually against the better sides).

Our issues are not against pressing sides they are against bus parkers so I don't think a press resistant midfielder is the solution.

My point is, I think this team improves more by having lets say Trippier and Alonso in at wingback than it does by having Bissouma or Dembele in for Hojbjerg with Sess and Emerson remaining at wingback.

Imagine how many more goals Kane would have if we had players capable of finding him from wide?

Weird logic. We have 2 elite attacking players and a third one who has had a wonderful start. We're a very, very good, top heavy counter attacking side. We score LOADS of goals vs sides who give us space, and struggle badly to score vs sides who don't .. i.e Burnley, Brentford, Brentford etc.

Because we parked the bus and countered. Getting points in those games doesn't show we matched them in midfield, we were nowhere even close. Vs Liverpool every time we played out the ball came straight back because Hojbjerg and Bentancur simply couldn't handle the press.

We were very good at countering under Poch with Dembele. He resisted the press and laid it off to someone like Eriksen to make the killer pass. He'd be a monster in this side.

Agree to disagree. If we want to have a greater amount of control over games vs pressing sides we need more press resistant midfielders.

I don't disagree with this and do think wing backs are the priority, but swiftly followed by that need for a monster CM.

Imagine how many more if we had a CM capable of beating the early press and getting it to said wing backs? Why not both!

Back
Top Bottom