Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who gives us creativity in midfield ?
Conte doesn't necessarily want creative midfielders in his 343 though. He played Matic and Kante at Chelsea when they won the title. His main creative player was Hazard playing further forward (with Costa and Pedro).

Kane, Kulu can bring this creativity for us, but it's probably why he's looking at Raphinha as another creative option, rather than an Eriksen.

This doesn't escape the simple fact that we can only field 11 players and that, if we want to stand a better chance of beating better teams, then we need to improve the weakest areas of said XI.

We could sign Lewandowski to rotate with Kane, but that doesn't make us any more likley to beat an elite team in a one-off game and those weaker links would still remain.

Not quite true.

For example up front its likely that even 4 players competing for 3 places will be playing as much as they physically can, and even 5th attacker will get a fair number of games.

That's why its no longer a first 11 but a first (say 18) as that 18 will be playing pretty much as many games as they possibly can.

So the aim has to be to have a first 11 'squad of 18' where all players should ideally be capable of occupying a first 11 place.

Gotta love those transfer windows.

:contescrewface:

The tweeter wants to start a youtube tv channel - what better way to generate traffic than to make a series of Talkradio like controversial statements.

Expect more from that twitter account - but don't be suckered in to give him credibility and publicity, any more than anybody believes Talkradio

Don’t think we’ll get both, but Richarlison and Gordon and such sensible signings and show that Conte has a real grasp on what works in the Premier League.

Pace, power, fitness, competitiveness, and work rate translate in the Premier League and Liverpool and City have lapped the field making signings in that mould. Liverpool’s success in particular has totally changed the way I view the transfer market. Jota, Wijnaldum, and Robertson were all players I’d watched at their previous club and I thought they were such meh signings. But each of them has the work rate and physicality to play at a high level in the Premier League and when combined with an elite tactical mind they just fit the league perfectly. Same goes for VVD and Mane, both who I thought were good players but Liverpool was paying over the odds. They’re just the perfect level of physicality and work rate for the league.

Conte has been so clear about this and has said as much talking about how the Premier League differs from the continent, most notably in his withering take on Gil, “For this reason when you go to sign a new player, you have to consider many aspects. Not only one aspect, if he shoots well or makes an assist, you have to consider a lot of situations because this league is very difficult. You can be good with quality. You can be a creative player, but at the same time you have to be strong physically. You have to run a lot, to be resilient.”

We used to be stocked with strong, pacey, resilient players who ran their socks off and never got bullied under Pochettino like Dembele, Wanyama, Walker, Rose, motivated Dele, Vertonghen and then they slowly fell out of the side and were replaced. Take Lo Celso and Ndombele, I think they are both tremendously skilled footballers and they shown that in spurts at Spurs, but they just don’t have the physicality, fitness, or pace to keep up with the match speed week in and week out in the premier league.

Bissouma and Perisic are clearly shifts towards a different profile of player. Both are in peak physical condition, physical, and have immense work rates. For me, Richarlison and Gordon also both fit that mix of mentality, work rate, and physicality that makes Premier League football different. Bremer would be another great fit and Spence has the tools. Kulusevski and Bentancur are also examples who have taken well to the fast paced and physical PL style well.

Most of those guys don’t have a pretty YouTube compilation that could hold a candle to Ndombele, Lo Celso, that Portuguese kid Woolwich bought, but they have the traits that are proven to work in PL. Almost all our serious targets so far have fit that mould and for me it is clearly Conte’s vision and understanding of what makes PL football different that’s driving our recruitment.

They’re also all competitive bastards who give a shit. Gordon and Richarlison could have rolled over during Everton’s relegation scrap, like much of the side, and gotten an easy move back to the PL in the summer. No skin off their ass on an individual level. But they didn’t, they scraped. That’s the mentality Conte is reinstalling and he’s bringing in players in that mould.

Last edited:
Bollocks. Hasn’t been a great success at Juve.
In fact 4 of the Ajax team who we beat in champ lge.
Frankie De Jong
Zyech
Van de Beek
De Licht.
All sold after that semi final. none have been a success.
He'd be absolutely fantastic as the central CB. He's not a quality tackler, but he's big and strong, wins headers, scored headers, is very good on the ball, and a lot more mobile than Dier.

Not for £80m though.

Conte doesn't necessarily want creative midfielders in his 343 though. He played Matic and Kante at Chelsea when they won the title. His main creative player was Hazard playing further forward (with Costa and Pedro).

Kane, Kulu can bring this creativity for us, but it's probably why he's looking at Raphinha as another creative option, rather than an Eriksen.
He also had Fabregas as an option who ended up with 12 league assists that season

Not quite true.

For example up front its likely that even 4 players competing for 3 places will be playing as much as they physically can, and even 5th attacker will get a fair number of games.

That's why its no longer a first 11 but a first (say 18) as that 18 will be playing pretty much as many games as they possibly can.

So the aim has to be to have a first 11 'squad of 18' where all players should ideally be capable of occupying a first 11 place.

Rotation and quality depth is of course increasingly important, but it's premature talking about wanting 2 'best XI' level RWers we we don't even have one top drawer RB and have room for an attainable upgrade at CB.......

(Side note: Raphina won't be competing for LW & ST and thus a bad example of what you & To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. are talking about.)

Don’t think we’ll get both, but Richarlison and Gordon and such sensible signings and show that Conte has a real grasp on what works in the Premier League.

Pace, power, fitness, competitiveness, and work rate translate in the Premier League and Liverpool and City have lapped the field making signings in that mould. Liverpool’s success in particular has totally changed the way I view the transfer market. Jota, Wijnaldum, and Robertson were all players I’d watched at their previous club and I thought they were such meh signings. But each of them has the work rate and physicality to play at a high level in the Premier League and when combined with an elite tactical mind they just fit the league perfectly. Same goes for VVD and Mane, both who I thought were good players but Liverpool was paying over the odds. They’re just the perfect level of physicality and work rate for the league.

Conte has been so clear about this and has said as much talking about how the Premier League differs from the continent, most notably in his withering take on Gil, “For this reason when you go to sign a new player, you have to consider many aspects. Not only one aspect, if he shoots well or makes an assist, you have to consider a lot of situations because this league is very difficult. You can be good with quality. You can be a creative player, but at the same time you have to be strong physically. You have to run a lot, to be resilient.”

We used to be stocked with strong, pacey, resilient players who ran their socks off and never got bullied under Pochettino like Dembele, Wanyama, Walker, Rose, motivated Dele, Vertonghen and then they slowly fell out of the side and were replaced. Take Lo Celso and Ndombele, I think they are both tremendously skilled footballers and they shown that in spurts at Spurs, but they just don’t have the physicality, fitness, or pace to keep up with the match speed week in and week out in the premier league.

Bissouma and Perisic are clearly shifts towards a different profile of player. Both are in peak physical condition, physical, and have immense work rates. For me, Richarlison and Gordon also both fit that mix of mentality, work rate, and physicality that makes Premier League football different. Bremer would be another great fit and Spence has the tools. Kulusevski and Bentancur are also examples who have taken well to the fast paced and physical PL style well.

Most of those guys don’t have a pretty YouTube compilation that could hold a candle to Ndombele, Lo Celso, that Portuguese kid Woolwich bought, but they have the traits that are proven to work in PL. Almost all our serious targets so far have fit that mould and for me it is clearly Conte’s vision and understanding of what makes PL football different that’s driving our recruitment.

They’re also all competitive bastards who give a shit. Gordon and Richarlison could have rolled over during Everton’s relegation scrap, like much of the side, and gotten an easy move back to the PL in the summer. No skin off their ass on an individual level. But they didn’t, they scraped. That’s the mentality Conte is reinstalling and he’s bringing in players in that mould.
Cracking post.

Well played sir, well played.

Creativity comes from Conte’s tactical system and rehearsed patterns of play. He’s very rarely played a true creative midfielder and certainly nothing like a traditional #10.

People point to Fabregas and Eriksen, but he only played them after essentially having them as bit part players for more than half a season and breaking them of their desire to freelance and insisting on them grafting more.

It’s especially true when he plays 3-4-3, he really prioritizes having ball winners. Creativity comes from getting overloads in the wide areas with the wingbacks and inside forwards. Also he used Kane in a creative build up role, dropping deep.

Our big influx in creativity this year should be a full season of Kulusevski and Perisic/Spence at wingback. Also our current wingbacks knowing the system better as we saw with Doherty and Sess improving late in the season.

Rotation and quality depth is of course increasingly important, but it's premature talking about wanting 2 'best XI' level RWers we we don't even have one top drawer RB and have room for an attainable upgrade at CB.......

(Side note: Raphina won't be competing for LW & ST and thus a bad example of what you & To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. are talking about.)
Irrespective of names and whoever we sign, Conte will be forced by the games schedule to rotate 18 or so players all of whom will play a lot.

Hence the focus on getting the best 18+ players we can ..... recognising that sometimes we won't have a fantastic rotation option - so taking your RW option we might end with Moura being Kulusevski's rotation option. But hopefully we won't

he wont bench anyone, if he is happy to come in as a rotation option fine

60 mill for a rotation option for me is where its wrong

bear in mind thats our joint record transfer fee

rich is a good player but not a 60 mill one
His probably on par with Jesus who is prbly far more skilful and works just as hard. Probably a better scoring record. Not sure why some on here keep saying his just what we need bcos he can play along the frontline. I’m sure there are many players like Exe, ASM, Sarr, Watkins , Bowen etc that could play any of the front 3 roles just as well. To boot his probably one of the most dispicable players around on par with saurez. £60M really is a lot of mo et for someone who’s hardly prolific excluding the pens. Will he give us 15-20 goals!

Fuck me
The levy tuggers are out in force today.
Pathetic.
Some of you love him more than Spurs

tenor.gif

Hello!

New to the forum - I'm from Singapore have been a Spurs fan since 1991 and will be making my way to London for a work trip on the 3rd week of August - so hopefully I'll be able to catch a game live in the Stadium...

And to ensure that my post is relevant to transfer rumours...

I think Gordon will be an exceptional buy if the price is right. He's young, English, plenty of upside and won't mind sitting on the bench as an understudy to Kane, Son and Kulu. With the 5-subs rule next season and the amount of games we're hoping to play, we'll definitely need as much depth as possible.
Singapore....chicken and rice....welcome

Hello!

New to the forum - I'm from Singapore have been a Spurs fan since 1991 and will be making my way to London for a work trip on the 3rd week of August - so hopefully I'll be able to catch a game live in the Stadium...

And to ensure that my post is relevant to transfer rumours...

I think Gordon will be an exceptional buy if the price is right. He's young, English, plenty of upside and won't mind sitting on the bench as an understudy to Kane, Son and Kulu. With the 5-subs rule next season and the amount of games we're hoping to play, we'll definitely need as much depth as possible.
Hi Jon. Welcome to the forum.

My name's Joan.

Surprising that we are down to this option so early in the window though.

We don't know how many names were on the list of top CB's but maybe its been decided we are unlikely to get any of our top choices and hence we push the button on the Lenglet option if we think his form is 'recoverable' under Conte.

Or if we are lucky its Bremer plus loan for Lenglet

One way to look at the Lenglet vs Gvardiol - yea, Lenglet has had hard time after the move to Barca.

But first time Gvardiol really rose to top level... He has had just 1 season. There has not even been time for him to have hard times. Cause he is fresh into spotlight.

Once Lenglet was also extremely highly thought of. So much that he moved for 36 mil and rose to (very wrong and competitive) French national side. Yet his performances dropped. But some here are 100% sure that 20yo players performances never change and would be happy to pay already close to WR fee for him.
Sounds like a typical spursy buy....

One way to look at the Lenglet vs Gvardiol - yea, Lenglet has had hard time after the move to Barca.

But first time Gvardiol really rose to top level... He has had just 1 season. There has not even been time for him to have hard times. Cause he is fresh into spotlight.

Once Lenglet was also extremely highly thought of. So much that he moved for 36 mil and rose to (very wrong and competitive) French national side. Yet his performances dropped. But some here are 100% sure that 20yo players performances never change and would be happy to pay already close to WR fee for him.

I’m totally fine getting Lenglet if we also get another CB, like Bremer for example.

Lenglet gives you another dedicated LCB, he gives you something to Davies in that he’s very good in possession and could be useful against bus parkers, and it’s a punt on a distressed asset who was once excellent and has been playing the last few seasons in a fucked up unsettled side like Kulusevski and Bentancur.

If he’s our only CB signing, it’d be quite bad though.

Irrespective of names and whoever we sign, Conte will be forced by the games schedule to rotate 18 or so players all of whom will play a lot.

Hence the focus on getting the best 18+ players we can ..... recognising that sometimes we won't have a fantastic rotation option - so taking your RW option we might end with Moura being Kulusevski's rotation option. But hopefully we won't

Mate, no-one's arguing that we only need XI players; nor that we shouldn't have as strong as possible depth.

Back
Top Bottom