Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A backup attacker who can be relied on? Check
Top LWB? Check
Top tier CM who's good on the ball? Check
Backup keeper? Check
Top RWB? ...maybe
Top LCB? Failed
Creative mid? Failed

If Lucas also leaves, we'll need another attacker.

So this wouldn't exactly be the top tier window we're hoping for. The RWB and LCB situation is understandable, and we might get by. The Creative mid, and a further attack sub would be big misses.

Good but still badly missing creativity.

By "creative mid"; considering us a 343 team for the most part; what position specifically are you guys talking about?

I can't see some high grade player wanting to be little more than a plan B and thus spend 3/4 of the season without a sniff.......

This is why Eriksen would have been so ideal; could have rotated with Kulu and also dropped into a 3 on the odd time we made a switch to 352.

Last edited:
Well the question is who doesn’t play if we sign richarlison. He’s not being signed to sit on the bench at that price
No one unless he proves himself to Conte. We are playing a lot matches next season. He’s going to get a lot of game time because he’s PL proven. Other attackers we have bought were mostly from other leagues so it was a risk to rest Kane and Son because of the quality drop off. We won’t have to worry about that with Richarlison.

He was excellent at Seville but poor when he went to Barcelona. If Conte thinks he can turn him round, he's a candidate for a loan - if not he stays at Barcelona.

Perisic was an 'ok' winger but Conte turned him into a world class wingback. So its all down to managers judgement as to what he can do

Remember being disappointed when Barca signed him, as were linked and he looked dynamic.

CB for Barca is a week-2-week world away from Prem games, would be excellent to get a “depressed player” in transmission of quality in pitch at current club, like Kulu, with a fee next season agreed at the low end.

2 or 3 this type, and, we can ruffle some feathers next season, if the rest is spent on point (Bissouma aside, Perisic, HG keeper, are 2 of the 3 ‘wise moves’, if they pay off, looks like a Conte driven summer, so far).

Yes, one can argue that well-paid players should have thick enough skin not to be affected by social media abuse but players are also human beings and are bound to be affected somehow - some players more than others.
And my experience in life is that the guys who are quickest to abuse and insults others are often a very insecure person who's him-/herself is overly sensitive to insults and snap back at the smallest indications of insults, even where there is none

Barcelona's Koeman: Lenglet struggled with social media abuse after Cadiz mistake​

Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman said Clement Lenglet has struggled to deal with the criticism which followed his mistake in Sunday's 1-1 draw against Cadiz.

Lenglet's foul on Ruben Sobrino in the final minute of the game handed Cadiz a penalty, which they scored from, as Barca missed the chance to close the gap on La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid to six points.

A lot of the post-match analysis in the local media focused on the defender's error and social media has been awash with abuse for the France international, who was pictured crying in his car after the game.

"I spoke with Clement this morning," Koeman confirmed in a news conference on Tuesday when asked how Lenglet was coping. "He's a serious guy and a top professional. He's taken this very personally.

"There are other things that happened in the game; one player alone is not to blame for dropping points. Yes, he could do better, and he's made mistakes [this season], but we made mistakes in attack as well through other players.

"At 2-0, an isolated incident in the last minute is not as decisive. So he cannot take all the blame. I'm going to defend my player, even if there are things he can improve, like all the players."

- Man United, Liverpool among clubs to unite in fight against racism
- Facebook 'horrified' by racist abuse received on social media

Players at the top level of the game are increasingly subjected to abuse online. Woolwich coach Mikel Arteta recently urged social media companies to tackle the abuse and highlighted the damaging effect it is having on players.

Lenglet, 25, could get the chance to make amends for Sunday's mistake when the Blaugrana face Elche on Wednesday ahead of what could prove a make-or-break seven days.

They then face Sevilla, who are third in La Liga, twice in five days -- away from home in the league on Saturday and then in the second leg of their Copa del Rey semifinal at Camp Nou next Wednesday.

Barca are fourth in the table but could temporarily rise to second if they win their next two games, moving to within two points of Atletico, before trying to turn around a 2-0 deficit in the cup against Sevilla.

"A lot is at stake this week," Koeman added. "We can still fight for the title. Any team can slip up or lose a game, as we have seen recently, but we can't afford any more Cadiz repeats.

"We have two huge games this week and then we will think about the Copa. It will be tough to turn things around against Sevilla -- it would be easier with fans -- but we want to fight to [win something]."

📢⚪🔴 #Athletes pressing on #Tottenham's Emerson Royal. Contacts now underway to take him on loan with right of redemption from #THFC @TuttoMercatoWeb

Richarlison, Bremer, Spence, Bissouma, Perisic , Forster. Are we happy with this if this is the final outcome of our window?
Can certainly see us getting in someone like Hincapie or Ndicka before Bremer. Think there will also be one more surprise with a good deal coming up towards the end of the window for a creative wide forward.

I don't think Davies is holding us back tbh.

He is a committed defender who suits a back three. Neat passer and doesn't have many brain farts.

The key first team issues for me were a more press resistant CM (Bissouma) and better wingbacks (1 down, 1 to go).

I don't think a LCB upgrade has anywhere near the impact of the above positions or adding decent attacking cover which will allow us to rest Son/Kane.

Dier and Davies are just not fashionable players so some people want to spunk 80m on a 20-year old who's had one good season in a pub league.
I agree that CM, WBs are the 3 MUST fix positions.

Davies and Dier have been quite underrated, but we shouldn't go overboard. When you compare to someone like Romero they fall well short.

Again, with all respect to the player, is there one aspect of the game where Davies comes close to Romero?

I always advocate for Dier cos of his leadership, but it's pretty much the same story with him. He's a lumbering behemoth lacking many of the fundamental skills of a CB. He's Harry Maguire with a strong mentality.

We can't expect a Romero level player in every defensive position but there are big upgrades on what we have.

By "creative mid"; considering us a 343 team for the most part; what position specifically are you guys talking about?

I can't see some high grade player wanting to be little more than a plan B and thus spend 3/4 of the season without a sniff.......

This is why Eriksen would have been so ideal; could have rotated with Kulu and also dropped into a 3 on the odd time we made a switch to 352.
Could be someone like Raphinha or a top level attacking right wing back, doesnt have to be a no 10, as you say probably preferable if it isn't, although having another go to formation is always useful.

A creative mid doesn't have to be solely creative. Playing 343 doesn't mean you can't have creativity coming from the middle.

E.g. I'd be thrilled if we could find someone with PEH's skillset but with a bit of composure in the and around the opposition box, a bit of technical ability on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom