Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The point is the squad was down the bare bones before lockdown.

Being without your 2 best players hurts any team, but we were fucked..... Our attack was down to basically Dele & Gedson ffs.

Davies - in great form or not - was still our most reliable LB...... Ditto Sissoko was still proving more reliable than GLC & TN.
We were a poor team playing poor football making dreadful signings. But we had Kane, Son and Lloris which kept our league placings just about respectable. Maybe some mitigating factors for that period re injuries but even with a fit Bergwijn and a couple of others i really dont think they'd have been much shift in results. Anyway things are thankfully in a much better place now so i'll leave it there.

That's the end of the rumors Fabián Ruiz joining Spurs.
So far PSG have bought Nordi Mukiele, Fabián Ruiz, Renato Sanches, Vitinha, Huge Ekitike, Pablo Sarabia (plus the renewal of Mbappe's contract) and so far only sold Areola (plus loaning out some players)...so how on earth do they by-pass FFP rules :cool:

They’re not going to touch them before the World Cup.

I expect they will get banned from Europe the season after.

I thought we looked excellent yesterday but I still don't trust the RWB position (Emerson and Doherty are going to hinder us for me) and I would also love a Maddison type option.

If we could flog both RWBs and bring in another to compete with Spence I'd be happy.

Emerson rarely let's you down defensively which is a very good base to work from for a 23 year old.
His final 6 games last season were very strong performances, anfield and Woolwich come to mind.
Based on yesterday he seemed confident attacking his man and being calmer with his passing and crossing, also took up some Gary Doherty like attacking positions.

With his naturally athleticism I think he could mature into a very good RWB .
I assume we're not selling him or Doherty so this is it. We'll certainly need Spence to show what he can do now

Sure, that all makes sense.

It’s the loaning out bit that is annoying. Paying pretty large fees and then handing them over to other teams seems counterproductive.
Yes, this is one way to get talents. The other is to wait until they break through and costs 5 times as much.

I thought we looked excellent yesterday but I still don't trust the RWB position (Emerson and Doherty are going to hinder us for me) and I would also love a Maddison type option.

If we could flog both RWBs and bring in another to compete with Spence I'd be happy.

Hmmm.

Despite the world renowned TFC talent spotters, other than Hakimi (rated at £80m by PSG but not for sale) nobody could come up with even a short list of possible candidates, and any candidates were from weak leagues, which is probably why Spence stood out as a good prospect.

That being the case, the chances of 'just selling Doherty and Emerson and bring in a RWB' look ........a vanishingly small possibility.

No doubt we will look again January and/or next summer.

Maddison has been done to death - Leicester insistent that neither he nor Forfana will be sold this summer. We will see if that remains the case.

Hmmm.

Despite the world renowned TFC talent spotters, other than Hakimi (rated at £80m by PSG but not for sale) nobody could come up with even a short list of possible candidates, and any candidates were from weak leagues, which is probably why Spence stood out as a good prospect.

That being the case, the chances of 'just selling Doherty and Emerson and bring in a RWB' look ........a vanishingly small possibility.

No doubt we will look again January and/or next summer.

Maddison has been done to death - Leicester insistent that neither he nor Forfana will be sold this summer. We will see if that remains the case.
As you mentioned there really were any top-class RWB available this summer. I complied a list of the best "available" RWB and neither of them would necessarily be better than what Spurs already have

Valentino Livramento (Soton)
Noussair Mazraoui (Ajax - now Bayren M)
Aaron Hickey (Bologna now Brentford)
Nahuel Molina (Udinese no Atletico M)

Isaiah Jones (Boro)
Max Aarons (Norwich)
Jayden Bogle (Sheff. Utd)
Anthony Gordon (Everton)
Matty Cash (Aston V)
Kyle Walker-Peters (Soton)
James Justin (Leicester)
Adama Traore (Wolves)
Nordi Mukiele (RB Leipzig)
Ridle Baku (Wolfsburg)
Malo Gusto (Lyon)
Sergiño Dest (Barcelona)
Jeremie Frimpong (Leverkusen)
Lukas Klostermann (Bor. Dortmund)
Joakim Mæhle (Atalanta)
Wilfried Singo (Torino)
Denzel Dumfries (Inter)

Last edited:
Maybe, but anything good was Kane and Son post lockdown as well. I think most rightly (at the time) wanted rid of Lamela, Sissoko and even Davies. That 3 of those are gone along with Toby, Aurier, Alli and Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele soon to join them says it all.
Also gone from two of the worst, most dour Portuguese managers (both completely ill suited) to a world class, attacking coach

As you mentioned there really were any top-class RWB available this summer. I complied a list of the best "available" RWB and neither of them would necessarily be better than what Spurs already have

Isaiah Jones (Boro)
Max Aarons (Norwich)
Anthony Gordon (Everton)
Matty Cash (Aston V)
James Justin (Leicester)
Adama Traore (Wolves)
Ridle Baku (Wolfsburg)
Malo Gusto (Lyon)
Sergiño Dest (Barcelona)
Jeremie Frimpong (Leverkusen)
Lukas Klostermann (Bor. Dortmund)
Joakim Mæhle (Atalanta)
Wilfried Singo (Torino)
Denzel Dumfries (Inter)
Nahuel Molina (Udinese)

Thanks for that. Not sure all of those necessarily available either. shortening the list still further.

Emerson rarely let's you down defensively which is a very good base to work from for a 23 year old.
His final 6 games last season were very strong performances, anfield and Woolwich come to mind.
Based on yesterday he seemed confident attacking his man and being calmer with his passing and crossing, also took up some Gary Doherty like attacking positions.

With his naturally athleticism I think he could mature into a very good RWB .
I assume we're not selling him or Doherty so this is it. We'll certainly need Spence to show what he can do now
Also, with Deki providing such a threat & real creativity from the right flank, Emerson doesn't need to have Tarik Lamptey-type individual talent.

Deki will create opportunities if Emerson continues to make those attacking runs and attract defenders away from the penalty box. It was Emerson's tenacity in winning the ball and then haring forward that created the own goal, and then he played a simple pass to Deki, who had found space in the box, for our fourth goal.

Plus, as you say, Emerson provides defensive solidity on the right flank.

Isaiah Jones (Boro)
Max Aarons (Norwich)
Anthony Gordon (Everton)
Matty Cash (Aston V)
James Justin (Leicester)
Adama Traore (Wolves)