Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
All of that is true.

It is also the case that an exciting project offering high wages and CL football has a way of attracting players who might otherwise be unwilling to consider moves.

Not only are different people different, different circumstances are different. The same guy might make a different choice on a different day.

It all nets out to Yoda's insight. Do or do not, there is no try.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

All of that is true.

It is also the case that an exciting project offering high wages and CL football has a way of attracting players who might otherwise be unwilling to consider moves.

Not only are different people different, different circumstances are different. The same guy might make a different choice on a different day.

It all nets out to Yoda's insight. Do or do not, there is no try.
Agreed - so we don't know what the deciding factor was with Bastoni, we will never know, and it's a bit silly to make assumptions about it and pass them off as obvious facts.

Tonali just happened to have a burning desire to leave his dream club and the city of Milan because he wants to learn how to speak Geordie?

Obviously the club persuaded him to go because they wanted the money,

Newcastle helped by offering him big wages.
Newcastle has not won much since the 60s at least, but because they are prepared to show the colour of their money, people will obviously join.
Matter of time, before we see them on the last day of the season, lifting a league title, it's only a couple of seasons away.

Ok.

I can be wrong if it makes you feel comfortable?
I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong with your instinct. I'm saying that we don't know - it could be that Bastoni wasn't going to move under any circumstances for personal reasons, or it could be that he might have. We don't know and we'll never know, so to assume that stumping up more money would definitely have got him is just disingenuous.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong with your instinct. I'm saying that we don't know - it could be that Bastoni wasn't going to move under any circumstances for personal reasons, or it could be that he might have. We don't know and we'll never know, so to assume that stumping up more money would definitely have got him is just disingenuous.
Ok

It’s not happening

How can we compete with Liverpool?

Completely understandable reason.

Of course it's not happening.

You ultimately never really know why a player may choose one club over another. Maybe its success, the coach, club vision, wages, location, or maybe it's a personal affinity. At the moment though, yes, Liverpool is a FAR more attractive option.

I accepted and have been at peace with where we not sit as a club, so not getting certain players and being flat-out rejected by others is something I'm okay with. Frankly, I'm kind of excited to see what we do with a whole new strategy.

I push back against "the money spent hasn't been the issue" to the extent that the squad refreshing and reconstruction has been at every moment insufficient to the scale of the problem created by the previous shocking and irresponsible underinvestment.

The fullness of the last decade still represents total negligence as to the quality of the squad.

We're still miles short of getting anywhere near making up that deficit, and that's with Kane.
But it still boils down to how well we spend. If GLC, Ndombele, Reggie, Sess had panned out, then we wouldn't be so far behind. The last 3-4 years when we have been spending would have been enough to have a much higher quality squad right now with fewer holes. Would have also ensured better finishes and potentially more CL appearances giving us more money to spend and making us a more attractive proposition to quality players.

Having fucked up on so many high $$$ transfers now we need to spend more to correct those mistakes.

Mate this is getting silly. Can you really not accept that every human being is different, has different circumstances at any given time, and therefore one might accept a move when another might not. Is that not possible?

I've enjoyed many of your posts in recent days, but on this it seems you're doubling down presumably to save face when all logic says that the alternative might be possible - not definite, I accept that, but a possible explanation for what happened with Bastoni.

If everyone was the same and had the same motivations Kane would have probably fucked off ages ago. It's such a flawed logic.

Even if it was all about money which I'm not convinced it was, the question is how much would it take to get him out of Inter, how much would be acceptable, would it have taken breaking our wage structure to bring him in, if so would you accept that the club paid him more than Kane?

Such a pointless convo anyway lol, what's done is done.

Club needs money, player agrees to move “for the club”

Can you really persuade yourself Tonali wanted to leave his dream club and the city of Milan…. For fucking Newcastle??

Give over
It happens more than you think (along with a payrise) if a player finds out he's not really wanted and a move is on they move. Heard it said in numerous interviews with ex players et.

Some move because they want to help their club.

Spend more AND get them right AND coach them well.

The order keeps getting taller. Meanwhile nobody knows who the DOF is and our talisman is going to walk for free in 12 months.
Harry is 30 now I think, if he doesn't leave this year, I'm not sure he will leave next year.
City, Madrid won't likely want him, where else does he go to be successful, I can see him breaking the premier league top scorer of all time, but ultimately potless in terms of winners medals.

Back
Top Bottom