Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m beginning to get very sceptical with those multi pointed star charts.

Saw one today where Gvardiol duels won were around 35%, miles lower than Tapsoba.

Those charts are just really basic metrics put into an easy to visualise star chart.

I remember last week seeing it had put Dier at 5% duels won, which just can’t be right.

On the other hand they can be incredibly accurate.

All I know is that if football was that simple, data analysis would be a piece of piss. It’s very simplistically presented info with no context. And cherry picked stats!!

I remember one which showed Maguire vs VVD (during his peak) and Maguire looked far better. Especially with defenders, there’s so much work there which stats just won’t even reflect.

Real, professional, data analysis is far, far more complex. Drilling into much more complex grainy metrics, that involves positional modelling, league weighting, team style weighting (ie how a team plays affects the player's metrics) etc etc.

We have a big shortage in attacking mids, because of the change from 343 to 433.

It’s not smart to sell players in a position where there’s already a scarcity.
Neither Scott or Devine are going to be PL ready next season. Europa Conference may have been an opportunity to give them game time but we didn’t qualify.

In that hypothetical; seeing as I don't think GLC is Prem-sufficient either; I'd seek to rotate Kulu in as an AM and have one of the plenty wide-men cover his position......... Or assuming Bentancur is back; juggle the CMs a bit and allow him to push fwd more.... I've yet to see GLC do anything that Bentancur can't do just as well.

GLC is powder-puff, a crap tackler (potential cards ahoy), not particularly creative and soft in front of goal.

Meh.

.........Out of curiosity; which part of that couldn't Scott or Divine manage themselves? ...Especially Scott; who's already proven to cope with the hard-knocks of the champo?

Saw one today where Gvardiol duels won were around 35%, miles lower than Tapsoba. I remember last week seeing it had put Dier at 5% duels won, which just can’t be right.
It will be what percentile they are in e.g. Dier had a "dribblers tackled %" of 45% but that puts him in the bottom 6 percentile.

You right, they should be ignored, the stats themselves are cherry picked, sometimes totals are used, sometimes ave per game, sometimes ave per 90 mins and sometimes percentile. Most are just people cherry picking to fit a narrative.

Edit: Looking at some of these, it appears the stats vary massively from fbref (who use Opta), so I would question the validity of the source of these stats.

Last edited:

Saw one today where Gvardiol duels won were around 35%, miles lower than Tapsoba. I remember last week seeing it had put Dier at 5% duels won, which just can’t be right.
That 35% is 35th perecentile.

Really they are fan content to fuel debate.

You’d hope that elite sports teams have more sophisticated scouting and talent evaluation models than that

The new CBs are both essential; our CB dregs should also be easier to shift as they're on much lower wages.

As for another winger.....

Son -- Kane -- Kulu
+LW: Gil, Solomon, Richy..... Perisic if he stays?
+RW: Gil, Solomon, Maddison, Porro

......There's a LOT of flexibility there.

Aside from defense; if it's decided we're still light in MF; we need to make a definitive decision about Biss being #6 or a #8.... If it's the former we might need to look at another #8 (as we'd only have Sarr or maybe Kulu) to rotate in. Whereas if Biss is preferred as a #8 we need another #6 as we'd only have Skipp.

If it wasn't for the Bentancur situation; I'd say we'd be fine without either; but that's something the gaffa will need to decide with our medics.
Not sure I get this £40M on porro to now play RW. That is much more than what we payed for kulu! For that price we could got a proper RW player. Has he even played there? If anything if he is t playing rb I’d put him on the right of midfield 3 with royal behind and kulu/ Maddison forward right.

Why wouldn't you want to have a young talented squad though? There is very little downside to getting a future star before they hit their peak value and command their largest deal, they often have much higher sell on value and represent a longer number of years of service should they decide to stay. I'd say most clubs will only really pay the massive transfer fees of players in or near their prime when they have gaps that desperately need plugging in the starting XI, when you're rounding out a squad generally younger players will always be preferred. Better for succession planning in the long run.
It's not easy, Sessegnon, Emerson, Gil & Sarr are all players that we tried to do this with... I would say I'm hopeful rather than optimistic that we have 2/4 that will fulfil that need ~100m?

Not sure I get this £40M on porro to now play RW. That is much more than what we payed for kulu! For that price we could got a proper RW player. Has he even played there? If anything if he is t playing rb I’d put him on the right of midfield 3 with royal behind and kulu/ Maddison forward right.

Here is the best case scenario for Porro, that is very possible imo.

He develops defensively under Ange and we paid 40m for a player that can play RB or as a defensively responsible RW.
He gives balance on the right side if we attack lopsided on the left and gives world class delivery from the right.

Think of it like signing David Beckham. Was a he a RWF ? No, was he a RB? No.

Was he a top class player with the tactical flexibility to help in a variety of formations? Abso fucking lutely

Did he have the character to contribute to winning? Again, doubt him at your own peril.

17 - overseas
07 - homegrown
02 - u21s (hoping to see a fair few academy players involved)
EXAMPLE

Vicario/Forster/Whiteman

Royal/Spence - Tapsoba/Romero/Dier/van de Ven/Lenglet - Udogie/Davies

Bissouma/Skipp /Maddison/NDombele/Hojbjerg/Bentancur/Sarr

Kulusevski/Porro /Richarlison/Kane/Solomon/Son/Gil​

In the Dier chart I saw the duel figure was a percentile. Meaning Dier is in the bottom 6% of centre backs for duels, rather than that he only wins 6% of duels.

Back
Top Bottom