Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lewis Cook was spoke about as one to end up as being one of the best English midfielders of his generation. Was also starting games for Leeds at 17/18.

You could honestly replace his name in this article to Archie Gray

To be fair to Cook, he was on course to living up to some of that hype but got horrendous injuries. Awful ankle injury that kept him out for the best part of two years and then followed it up with two cruciate ligament injuries in the space of two years.. Testament to his ability that he ever got capped for England.

That’s the deal with signing young players though.

Sometimes it comes off and sometimes they get bad injuries or another player in their position develops faster.

If players like Gray, Doue, and Bergvall were the finished article then Spurs aren’t signing them.

I'm not sold on Gray tbh but I'm rarely sold on these young English hypes. I saw him a few times and didn't think much of him.

I was completely sold on Wharton but prior to that I can't remember the last one I really thought would be a great signing.
I was sure about Wharton as well. Don’t understand why we didn’t get involved. He’s a year or even 2 older though. I had no idea who Wharton was at 18. I would guess that another season or 2 of senior football for Gray and he’s almost certainly beyond us. Like Bellingham once he’d gone to Dortmund.

Apparently Leeds were hoping for big offers for Gnonto and Summerville but the amounts clubs are discussing isn't enough for Leeds to pass FFP and selling Gray is the fallback so looking more realistic he moves as we get closer to their deadline. Rumours online that Brentford are trying as well. Be interesting to see what happens with his brother if he moves. Another really talented player in Leeds' academy, starting striker for England u16s. Would be brilliant if you could end up getting both

Apparently Leeds were hoping for big offers for Gnonto and Summerville but the amounts clubs are discussing isn't enough for Leeds to pass FFP and selling Gray is the fallback so looking more realistic he moves as we get closer to their deadline. Rumours online that Brentford are trying as well. Be interesting to see what happens with his brother if he moves. Another really talented player in Leeds' academy, starting striker for England u16s. Would be brilliant if you could end up getting both

Brentford, Leipzig, Dortmund… everyone and their dog in the mix.

I guess Skipp and Rodon are our advantage in the mix. If he does come to Spurs it will be for a spot in the first team squad competing for minutes.

They also have a Welsh midfielder in the Academy called Charlie Crew who I think is an excellent player and should go far in the game.

Kinda like the Ramsey link, he's a very direct player, very traditionally English style, hard running with and without the ball. Like that he powers through players in midfield. Are Villa in enough bother with PSR to make this sale? I dunno. Does the player want to move instead of playing CL with his boyhood club? Doubt it.
Actually think he suits us better than Eze. Ramsey I could at least see playing in the same team as Maddison. And if Lange has seen him up close and thinks his ceiling is very high, I'm all for it.

My concern is over his injury record and price. £50m is too much to spend on a kid who played about 3 games last year.

Waiting on other moves triggering all the action again...dusting off the old fax machine.

Keeping our powder dry

dom-zook-james-bogue.gif

What rank do you think we are in the premier league for net spend over the past 3 years?

Guess.
Why do three years? That can fluctuate.

Here's the last 10:

K4w2LBU.png

- Less than Newcastle, who make 1/2 our revenue and spent most of this period circling the drain.

- £400m less than Woolwich, who spent most of the last decade (1) below us in the league and (2) outside of the CL. Now in just two years since we beat them to 4th spot under Conte we've not looked further behind them since the early 00s. Shows the difference between having an owner who understands the concept of investing in your squad versus one focused on investing in infrastructure and milking his cash cow.

- Roughly equivalent net spend to West Ham, who've spent much of this period circling the relegation zone, and Villa, who spent half of it in the Championship.

- Worth noting Spurs' net spend has increased in the last couple of years, but we're still paying the price for the years of underinvestment under Poch. It's not the sort of ambition that justifies charging the highest ticket prices in world football, particularly when we have a massive FFP leeway that would enable us to invest significantly if we wanted. People used to mock Kroenke, he'd absolutely kill it with this club. Take him a million times over Levy.

- Side note, Liverpool show that it's not all about net spend so long as you have incredible data and recruitment set up and one of the world's best managers. We'll see how long they can maintain their overperformance without Klopp. Should also be noted their wage bill dwarfs ours and this is the closest predictor of league finish.

Are any of the midfielders we’re talking about able to fulfil a decent No 6 role?
Palacios, Fofana mentioned in the last few days. Onana brought up a few times.

Not sure any of them are the answer, it's hard role to buy. My guess is we'll make do with a Bentancur/Bissouma combo for another year and maybe try and bring in a young English player like Gray or Hayden Hackney we can try and develop for the role.

Back
Top Bottom