SUUUUPER PAV

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

_40863700_bent.jpg

Pav is a cult hero, this isn't always linked to ability. Freund is remembered a lot more fondly than many superior players.

Dru said:
Thats not really the reason though is it?
It's not our place to ask the reason for love.

If I sit down and explain why I like Pav, it sounds stupid. Maybe since the emotion is stupid. But calling it stupid doesn't negate it. Jenas, otoh, I can explain why I objectively adore. I'll just keep mum about it until FIFA passes the law that makes a cross bar shot from mid field worth five goals.

Dru said:
But why is Pav a cult hero? Its not like he bust a gut every time he played like Fruend...
Not all cult heroes bust a gut though mate, you won't find your answer in this thread.

People just like him innit.

I think Bent was up against it from the start. People thought we didnt really need him and maybe didnt like his style, whereas Pav was Berba's replacement and we all desperately wanted him to be as good as Berba.

Bent only moaned after he was treated like shit and Pav moaned plenty via his agent.

I just find it funny how fickle fans latch on to players sometimes.

Thelonious said:
Pav is a cult hero, this isn't always linked to ability. Freund is remembered a lot more fondly than many superior players.

I always associate 'mid-table mediocrity' with having Cult players... Mitchell Thomas, Jose Dominguez, Nicola Berti, Freund all played for us at a time when our stock was down, and expectation was low... do Premier League Winning Clubs have a PLACE for a cult hero?? Don't think so... Pav seems to be the exception, his cult status was born of him not playing, despite playing a major part in our CL run the season before!

...and lest we forget, one man's CULT, is a dyslexic man's CUNT!

Dru said:
I don't understand the work "fickle" is doing here. Is the suggestion that only fickle fans latch on to players? (and non fickle fans don't?)

Some players are more likable than other players to some fans and not to others. It's really pretty basic. If there were an algorithm that perfectly explained it, then unfancied benchwarmers would try to inhabit the path to cult herodom to increase sponsorship revenue (or something).

Dru said:
I think Bent was up against it from the start. People thought we didnt really need him and maybe didnt like his style, whereas Pav was Berba's replacement and we all desperately wanted him to be as good as Berba.

Bent only moaned after he was treated like shit and Pav moaned plenty via his agent.

I struggle to see what's fickle on liking some players and not others tbh, Bent is one of those players who Spurs didn't really warm to. Not entirely his fault really but such is life.

Éperons said:
Dru said:
I don't understand the work "fickle" is doing here. Is the suggestion that only fickle fans latch on to players? (and non fickle fans don't?)

Some players are more likable than other players to some fans and not to others. It's really pretty basic. If there were an algorithm that perfectly explained it, then unfancied benchwarmers would try to inhabit the path to cult herodom to increase sponsorship revenue (or something).

Poor choice of words probably but whenever I was at the games, the same people who would talk up Pav or get all excited when he was warming up would slag him to the hills when he couldnt trap the ball or sent a shot in to row z. Its like the MIB popped down to the Lane after every game and flashed them with their pen things wiping out everyones memory of how shit he just played so come the next game, people would love him again.

Dru said:
everyones memory of how shit he just played so come the next game, people would love him again.
But that's the point I think you're not seeing… even when your dog shits on your bed, you still love it. Emotions/attachments to players are not tightly related to quality. There's some relationship, but it's weak and tenuous. Pav was loved for being Pav, full stop.

If I were to list our usual XI in descending order of how much I "like" them, there'd be a lot of very, very good players at the bottom. For example, I like Lennon far, far more than I like Bale. That doesn't mean I think he's a better player. Or that he tries harder. It just means precisely that: I like him more.

Éperons said:
Dru said:
everyones memory of how shit he just played so come the next game, people would love him again.
But that's the point I think you're not seeing… even when your dog shits on your bed, you still love it. Emotions/attachments to players are not tightly related to quality. There's some relationship, but it's weak and tenuous. Pav was loved for being Pav, full stop.

If I were to list our usual XI in descending order of how much I "like" them, there'd be a lot of very, very good players at the bottom. For example, I like Lennon far, far more than I like Bale. That doesn't mean I think he's a better player. Or that he tries harder. It just means precisely that: I like him more.

No I get that people like players.

What I dont get is people trying to persuade me how good a player he was only for him to never really deliver for us. Then the same people would berate him mid match.

Just my experiences I guess.

Pav is like all of my school reports; Could do better if he applied himself more....whether he talks too much in class (training) I don't know.

I was gonna say it's probably because Bent cost us so much and failed to deliver but i've just had a look and he really wasn't much more than Pav!

I can't really place my finger on it, but there are some players we like and some we don't. I'm sure every person has their reasons.

Back
Top Bottom