Tactics - Post Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Swellhead Spur

Open your mind
Not sure if their is a thread about the tactics used in the game

Today we seemed more compact and if you use Sofascore it was very much a 352/442 with Kane & Son uptop central, when Richarlison came on it was the same according to the heat maps

I like these ones

80310839_T1

Not sure if their is a thread about the tactics used in the game

Today we seemed more compact and if you use Sofascore it was very much a 352/442 with Kane & Son uptop central, when Richarlison came on it was the same according to the heat maps
It was shit to watch and we rode our luck.

At one point in the first half Spurs were so deep we were practically defending the edge of the 6 yard box.

I want Levy out but Conte's football is rubbish.

Winning playing that way is not winning.

It's exactly what Danny Blanchflower famously described.

Waiting for the other lot to die of boredom.

I want Spurs to be Spurs.

We are supposed to do it with a flourish.

Didn't get to see the game. Was it a good victory, a boring victory or a just plain lucky victory?
Fulham were toothless imo, we weren’t up to speed either. The players seemed to have forgotten how to make a simple pass. But Kane bailed us again and we won, that’s all I care for after a shit couple of weeks.

We need to keep pushing and grinding results. Confidence will come as we win.

I didn't see any dramatic change in tactics today. The same players playing a formation we're using every single week.

The opposition were of a far lower standard than our last 2 games, that's for sure so that's probably more significant.

I didn't see any dramatic change in tactics today. The same players playing a formation we're using every single week.

The opposition were of a far lower standard than our last 2 games, that's for sure so that's probably more significant.
Not a change of tactics really but more of a no-nonsense, back-to-basics emphasis seems to be what Kane and Conte expressed postgame.

When we had the ball, Emerson seemed to play further up and in. With kulu staying wide. Closer to a 352 for me. Or even a 343 (Davies, dier, romero; perisic, PEH, bentancur, emerson; son, kane, kulu)

This, I want to see his heat map. My intuition was that he had a more free role at times.

Click on more & you can click on average position

Not sure how to screenshot and upload things onto this sight

Kulusevski average position was right ontop on him and with Son it was a clear 2 uptop

Click on more & you can click on average position

Not sure how to screenshot and upload things onto this sight

Kulusevski average position was right ontop on him and with Son it was a clear 2 uptop
Emerson-Royale-v-Fulham.jpg

The interesting bits were him in the midfield. He looked like Ronaldinho at some point.

343 with the ball, 541 without.

2nd half was a master class in mid block defending - out of possession and after transition had settled down, we retreated into the 541 formation.

The back 5 held their position along the edge of our box with the 4 midfielders 10-15 yards ahead of them and Kane on the halfway line (all relative to position of ball on pitch).

There was absolutely no space through the middle, PEH and Benta were right on top of their midfield forcing them back. As always the space was out wide but our wide players (Son & Dejan) picked up their fullbacks and once Fulham got 35 yards from goal they struggled under our closing down.

We suffocated their passing game basically - they like to build with lots of passes from back to front, are not very direct (unless forced to be) and we stayed compact and disciplined, definitely growing into the game as a team defensively.

Once we won the ball we tried to spring into attack quickly if possible, or if not would consolidate possession and work the ball gradually.

Didn't do it well first half letting too many crosses into the box down our left especially. Fulham pressed us for 25 minutes and we didn't cope with it well at all, poor passing and touches and we struggled to get out or retain possession, but we did improve as the half went on. Fulham needed to score in that early period but only had 1 good chance.
Our box and last ditch defending is actually pretty decent, players do throw themselves in the line of fire and stick their head in where it hurts.

The 2nd half really was a throwback to last season/earlier this season, helped a lot by having a lead to defend.

People may not like the style but Conte knows what he's doing. We DO press but not relentlessly and not always on the edge of the other teams box, we probably do it more from a mid block position.

Interestingly, Woolwich did the mid block press almost exactly the same vs United on Sunday, pretty often 2nd half especially.

I think coaches are becoming cannier about pressing, feels like there is a recognition of the need to conserve energy and that it's not possible for 90 minutes, especially in more even games possession wise. The more possession you have the less times you'll need to press, the more energy you'll have as a result.

Press high if the team is there attacking but if not, retreat into shape behind the ball and start again whilst taking a breather.

when we won possession back around our box most of our forward balls were intercepted either because our passing was poor or they just took the ball off Kane, Son, Kulu,

Kane was the difference, he dragged us over the line. Our midfield was overrun, as usual. Our passing was pretty sloppy throughout but Fulham pressed really well. Our defence was tested but played well, particularly Romero.

As for tactics, they were crap IMO. We won by individual performances opposed to overall team play. Kulu and Kane did mammoth jobs holding up the ball and feeding it out despite being under huge pressure. Need an extra man in midfield, it’s so blatantly obvious. Would take pressure off our defence and our attackers would see more of the ball which is where our strength lies. Conte won’t change

Kane was the difference, he dragged us over the line. Our midfield was overrun, as usual. Our passing was pretty sloppy throughout but Fulham pressed really well. Our defence was tested but played well, particularly Romero.

As for tactics, they were crap IMO. We won by individual performances opposed to overall team play. Kulu and Kane did mammoth jobs holding up the ball and feeding it out despite being under huge pressure. Need an extra man in midfield, it’s so blatantly obvious. Would take pressure off our defence and our attackers would see more of the ball which is where our strength lies. Conte won’t change
But an extra man in midfield would mean dropping Son and playing with 11? Too easy.

:contehmm:

Conte keeps trying to use Son the same way as he uses Kulu and how he used Hazard in the past. Son is just not that type of fooballer.

He's a very simple, run in behind and finish type forward. He doesn't have the technique, vision and guile to drop deep, receive the ball, turn and make things happen. If Conte gave him the same simple remit as Mourinho things might be different.

Similarly, he's having Kane play a more traditional no 9 role which he does well enough in but as a team we're missing out on his brilliant contribution in the build up. With this in mind it's odd how we didn't go for Eriksen in the summer.

Fulham were toothless imo, we weren’t up to speed either. The players seemed to have forgotten how to make a simple pass. But Kane bailed us again and we won, that’s all I care for after a shit couple of weeks.

We need to keep pushing and grinding results. Confidence will come as we win.
We're really going to struggle for top 4 aren't we....we should be sweeping Fulham aside....

Back
Top Bottom