Team + Player of the Year

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BI97XyaCYAAlWNn.jpg:large

Could be fake but doesn't look it

Tottenham's Gareth Bale has won both the PFA Player of the Year & Young Player of the Year awards for 2012-13 season

Get in! Happy for him.

Great for the boy. Adds a few more million to the price tag too I bet. Article on sky sports about it states he has 4 assists and has created 68 chances this season. There-in lies our problem. 5% conversion is to be super low no? Be interested to see if I'm way off the mark on that. Maybe Éperons Éperons has a spreadsheet with the answer in it.

Friedel, Walker, Gallas, BAE, Naughton, Parker, Livermore, Dempsey, Ade, Defoe, AVB were all meant to be there, unfortunately they went to the 'scapegoat' xi awards sponsored by 'kneejerking'
Unfortunately some of the names you have listed there are not scapegoats, they just have been playing very poorly this season and deserve the criticism.

I love bale, but I'm not sure I'd have voted for him over rvp is I wasn't a spurs fan. He's basically won them the title back

RVP has been great but did drop off towards the end of the season. Would be deserved if he won it too but Bale has been on another level this year at times.

Bale with his awards

BI-JX2oCQAEPAkG.jpg

I love bale, but I'm not sure I'd have voted for him over rvp is I wasn't a spurs fan. He's basically won them the title back
What we have to remember is that the award is voted for by his peers, so it's more of a neutral standpoint than, perhaps, the FWA player of the year. I think Carrick might get that award

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Boos for Suarez when he is announced in team year.</p>&mdash; Neil Ashton (@neilashton_) <a href="">April 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]

Obviously Suarez isn't popular with a lot of players

5% conversion is to be super low no? Be interested to see if I'm way off the mark on that. Maybe Éperons Éperons has a spreadsheet with the answer in it.
Sure sounds low, but getting that data would involve paying for the Opta suite, something Admin Admin refuses to do. That number of chances created sounds really, really high for this year, since, as we've said, Bale isn't pinging the ball into the box from the corner anymore—he's more likely to move into the edge of the box himself and have a go. OTOH, 68 chances is only just above two per match, and people find opportunities to curse Dempsebaylfi at least 10x per match…

Two months ago (or so), when there was discussion of how "wasteful" Spurs were with their chances/shots, some of the reasons given sounded plausible and boiled down to two things, iirc: 1. teams park the bus (more bodies to block shots/cutoff crosses) and 2. lack of a poacher/killer up front leads us to be more speculative from the edge of the box.

Back
Top Bottom