Terracing/Standing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I can't find anything on it.

We all know that the Park Lane and south section of the Shelf Side stand and are 'requested' to sit at every home game. We are also well aware of some of the tragedies that have occurred at football matches but with policing, match entrance and CCTV so far in advance of 20 years ago it really is high time that a standing section be re-introduced into grounds. It need only be a third of the South Stand and the end furthest from the away section.

Some here won't know what it is like to experience the surge after scoring, losing a shoe/hat/scarf/mate in the process - it is fucking brilliant. I appreciate that health and safety must be adhered to but even if it was limited to 5000 I guarantee that the atmosphere would pulsate throughout.

Like I said, I know it is hardly a new subject but the game against Blackburn got me thinking that more and more football is being turned into a docile, sanitised place where it should be somewhere I can go and vent the frustrations of the week (or of the match) and not be told by some jobsworth that I can't say 'fuck', 'cunt' or 'wanker'...these being my swear words of choice.

Now, I really should concentrate on work

To be honest, the "surge" will be one thing that wont return with any terracing, there will be multiple partitions to stop this happening.

Even just being allowed to stand in certain areas would be better in my opinion.

I still find it shocking that you can't stand/drink in the stands. In Mexico, which is arguably a bit scarier, they can do both.

Well, of course in the US we aren't allowed to drink in the stands, but it doesn't stop anybody. Liquor drinks all around!

Except NASCAR. You can carry a cooler to your seat.

The all seating aspect was an overreaction to some horrible events that politions jumped on to sanitise the game. The clubs saw a chance to change the demographic of support from the working classes to the middle class earning more money in the process.

The game was then stolen by sky and the rest is history

Burko said:
To be honest, the "surge" will be one thing that wont return with any terracing, there will be multiple partitions to stop this happening.

Even just being allowed to stand in certain areas would be better in my opinion.

arguably with plenty of surge barriers it would be safe than seating

I injure myself on the chairs in front when we score a goal and quite often have bruises the next day. I'm pretty sure I would not get injured if I was standing with no seats in front of me.

r-u-s-x said:
The all seating aspect was an overreaction to some horrible events that politions jumped on to sanitise the game. The clubs saw a chance to change the demographic of support from the working classes to the middle class earning more money in the process.

I disagree with this.

The game, and society in general for that matter - was ready for a change.

Football hooliganism and other forms of social unrest are a reaction to financial and political situations.

Blanchflower said:
r-u-s-x said:

I disagree with this.

Football hooliganism and other forms of social unrest are a reaction to financial and political situations.

Then how come rugby didn't experience the same problems?

Blanchflower said:
r-u-s-x said:

I disagree with this.

Fair enough, but in this case you think all seating was fan demand led rather than clubs and politics seeing a quick buck?

HyNdZee said:

It's difficult to have a riot with no crowd

But in all seriousness, have you been to a rugby game - no one really cares all that much who wins, there is very little tribalism or feeling of belonging to a team

r-u-s-x said:
Fair enough, but in this case you think all seating was fan demand led rather than clubs and politics seeing a quick buck?

How did the clubs make a quick buck from spending millions converting their grounds and reducing their capacities by such a large extent?

The success of all seater grounds was dictated by the supporters - ticket prices didn't immediately rise, that's been demand lead.

Blanchflower said:
r-u-s-x said:

How did the clubs make a quick buck from spending millions converting their grounds and reducing their capacities by such a large extent?

The success of all seater grounds was dictated by the supporters - ticket prices didn't immediately rise, that's been demand lead.

Did revenue stay static short term. Less people charged more. Thought the math was outlined in the Taylor report?

r-u-s-x said:
Blanchflower said:
r-u-s-x said:

Did revenue stay static short term. Less people charged more. Thought the math was outlined in the Taylor report?

attendances grew, the consumer decided what they wanted

I think the 'safety' argument is completely redundant to be honest. It's only when 'important' idiots are let loose that accidents happen.

Wembley Arena, The O2 Arena.. how many people standing for a gig? Packed in far tighter than at a football stadium, how many incidents do you hear of there? Absolutely none, bring it back, let the people stand there and get some atmosphere going.

No brainer for me.

Completely agree. A few designated standing areas would be nuts.

Pack it with Ultras and the atmosphere will be so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Blanchflower said:
HyNdZee said:

It's difficult to have a riot with no crowd

But in all seriousness, have you been to a rugby game - no one really cares all that much who wins, there is very little tribalism or feeling of belonging to a team

Rugby was also a game of the 'more civilised' middle classes. They saw no reason to fight against any oppression as they were more generally well educated.

You could also argue the rioting/violence took place on the field - between the players - for those that wanted to get involved.

Back
Top Bottom