the EVERTON AWAY match thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

YAY!!!! Sopcast is available now for me!

tumblr_lne1kdPWCP1qeqgqqo1_500.gif

Dempsey you annoying bastard. You piss me off for the entire game and then score. I don't know whether to hug you or hurt you.

I think it's more due to expectation management.... At half -time and up until the 75th minute it had 0-0 written all over it, and I'm sure Everton would've felt hard done by, but as soon as WE scored we were into bonus territory.... The fact that we threw it away... And then threw it away again makes it so painful.
It's like having a lottery ticket but not really expecting to win.... But if. EVERY number is one out from the ones that come up, you'd be ROYALLY pissed off!
brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

The way I see it, three things undid us today over the lenght of the game:

1) Our pressing game is too hesitant and too incoherent. Many people argue, that pressing is reactive, is about running around a lot and is just unfashionable. We need a much more coherent pressure and we need the backline up, at least 5-10 meters at certain times, to strangle that space in which the opposition can play.

2) Meaningful possession. Much needed. Right now we attack all the time, trying too hard and too laboured to create chances. Of which we actually create very few open ones. We are in a limbo of not quite playing possession based pass-and-move attacking football and playing counterattacking football. Apart from the fact, that we can't keep the ball patienly enough to actually carve up defences nor attack quick enough to bypass them on the counter. We desperately need another player like Dembéle for the attacking third, effectively Rafa's role last season, to control the tempo of the game.

3) Winning 2nd balls outside both boxes. Now this dead horse is not nearly flogged quite enough yet. I have no stats to give you, but on visual merit we must be one of the worst teams at winning 2nd balls cleared out of either defence in those 15-20 yards in half circle outside either penalty kick spot. Bloody hell. Headed clearence or kicked, high or low, hammered or gently lobbed, it matters not. Spurs are almost always last to those balls. In the Premier League, that's just not on. Sorry, it's not.

And it's not the first time these three symptoms are emerging. Point 3) was an issue too in all Harrys time and even before. So was the lack of patience in 2). And 1) was a huge issue before Parker came in.

Btw, I see a fair few people mentioning the subs. Appearently they were wrong, too late, too early or just shit players. The way I see it, AVB had little choice. Sure, I'd perhaps (with limited knowledge of a fan) have put on Townsend on first for Defoe (so shore up left side and add pace on the break), then Gylfi for Dembélé (who was injured, appearently) and lastly (diving for cover) I'd bring on Naughton for Lennon (presuming Lennon was spent) and let Walker move to RM.
No matter my choices, the bench today was as good as we get with the present injuries. No it was. The squad is what we have, and for the record it is not nearly as good as last season. I'd happily take all of Niko, Corluka and

Therefore I don't get why people lash out at AVB. What the hell can he do ? I am quite certain he is well aware, that some names on that bench are not nearly good enough for us and some of the starters even. But before January little can be done.

For next game, if Dawson is not fit, I'd move Vertonghen inside with Caulker and let Towsend play left back. He's played emergency left back before and did ok. Certainly more at ease than Naughton.

Didn't see the highlights but was listening on the radio earlier. Shame we didn't hold on, but Everton were obviously desperate for the home win and it was too much.

In any case, heading into chrimbo in a solid position, so fuck it.

AVB's BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!

Our set piece performances, from both the standpoint of offense and defense, are hardly spectacular, but they have in my opinion markedly improved compared to last season.

I think Adebayor has to play, Everton are a very physical team and we will need his presence, and also his ability to make the ball stick up their end

I think we are going to miss Bale big time, Everton are the type of team you need someone to do something a bit special against to beat at home.

Bale has never done well at Everton though, I remember Phil Neville keeping him very quiet a season or so ago.

Good lineup but I think AVB will have second thoughts about Naughton at LB after Thursday, and may opt for Jan on the left with Gallas/Dawson at CB. It's understandable that as a right-footed player used to playing at RB probably his whole youth career, he's having a tricky time adapting to playing on the left so much.

Isn't Dawson still in recovery? ( I haven't found anything saying Bale is out for this match, but assuming he is) I think the line up is pretty strong...keeping Jan at center may be the better than pushing him out to the left...more feet to pound on Fellaini.

Marouane-Fellaini-010.jpg

I had a dream/prophecy about this one last night, and regret to report that Everton beat us 7-5. Particularly frustrating as we go ahead at least twice, most memorably after a mystery woman by the name of 'Eleanor' scores a thumping header to put us 3-2 up.

Back
Top Bottom