The FA Cup 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Random player: “Gaffer...we’re getting destroyed down the left. How should we set up for the second half?”

Woy: “Have you seen the price of milk these days? Madness. Bumped into Tony the other day in the post office and he said Mrs Smithers passed away. One less Christmas card to write. Speaking of Christmas, my hip’s been playing up over winter. Spoke to the doctor...he’s a nice young man...his daughter just graduated with a degree in economics...Katie?...Cathie? She’s been seeing some Italian fella that she met when...”

Random Player: “Erm...the 2nd half kicks off in 30 seconds.”
'Destroyed down the left you say.....ahhh yes just like villa away....82 if memory serves.... have I ever told you about that .....'

back in the day we used to regularly fill their ground for them. I remember 45,000 there when Ricky Villa scored and there were Tottenham everywhere. 1979 i think.
A Palace mate of mine complained to me that Spurs had taken over the whole of the Holmesdale terrace, which pre all-seater was massive.

btw - When Palace got promoted 2-0 v Burnley in 1979, they had 51,500 in the ground, which was even more than Spurs got for the top of the table match v Bolton 1978. Not too many Burnley fans there midweek either I expect. Crowd unofficially put at 60,000.

cpfc-2-0-burnley-crowd-1979_1.jpg

Looks more like Hampden Park Celtic Leeds

A Palace mate of mine complained to me that Spurs had taken over the whole of the Holmesdale terrace, which pre all-seater was massive.

btw - When Palace got promoted 2-0 v Burnley in 1979, they had 51,500 in the ground, which was even more than Spurs got for the top of the table match v Bolton 1978. Not too many Burnley fans there midweek either I expect. Crowd unofficially put at 60,000.

cpfc-2-0-burnley-crowd-1979_1.jpg

Looks more like Hampden Park Celtic Leeds
I know people (non palace) who went that night, just seemed to capture the imagination. Our Bolton game was played the same day as two fa cup semi finals in London. I think it was west brom v ipswich at woolwich then orient v woolwich at scumford bridge which makes our attendance all the more remarkable. They staggered the kick offs that afternoon but London was awash with fans.

I know people (non palace) who went that night, just seemed to capture the imagination. Our Bolton game was played the same day as two fa cup semi finals in London. I think it was west brom v ipswich at woolwich then orient v woolwich at scumford bridge which makes our attendance all the more remarkable. They staggered the kick offs that afternoon but London was awash with fans.
good point, I'm forgetting that bods used to think nothing of spending a few quid to turn up on terraces where it wasn't their team.

I'm more surprised at the capacities of some of the grounds back then. Palace? Had only got to Div 1 for the first time ever 1969.

good point, I'm forgetting that bods used to think nothing of spending a few quid to turn up on terraces where it wasn't their team.

I'm more surprised at the capacities of some of the grounds back then. Palace? Had only got to Div 1 for the first time ever 1969.
To illustrate the fact that the Burnley attendance was a fluke is that Palaces average for that promotion season was 23,294 and for their next season it was 29,794 but by 1982-83 the self styled 'team of the 80's were down to an average of 9,887. As an aside chelseas average in 82-83 was a massive 12,672. (we were the 3rd best supported that season).

Back
Top Bottom