The homecoming 3rd April Tottenham versus Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I reckon they should have a closing date where no more adult membership signups are permitted, say the end of July or something.

They could still permit kids as I think the odd person wanting to take their kid to their first match is different, and also to allow those who have a newborn kid to sign them up ASAP (it was something I was desperate to do when my little girl was born!)
Its £50 to the coffers though (each week getting less for your money), nice idea but given the fact it generates re-occurring revenues never going to happen.

My only reservation about selling anything based on loyalty points is you make it harder and harder for anyone else to ever get enough loyalty points to ever get in. It 'll always be the same people, and you'll see people buying just to increase their loyalty point total and flogging them on, just like the away ticket racket that already exists.

I understand that people who go to /most/every game should be rewarded though. There's no easy option and somebody will always be disappointed
My only reservation about selling anything based on loyalty points is you make it harder and harder for anyone else to ever get enough loyalty points to ever get in. It 'll always be the same people, and you'll see people buying just to increase their loyalty point total and flogging them on, just like the away ticket racket that already exists.

I understand that people who go to /most/every game should be rewarded though. There's no easy option and somebody will always be disappointed
I agree with you 90% on this. The first game is a one off, the club could have said we are going to reward the members who have gained the most loyalty points by attending Wembley matches this season.
We only had 29,000 v Watford and 2,500 of them were Watford. I'd say 20k season ticket holders and the rest members?
People moaned about access to tickets, at Wembley plenty of access yet many couldn't be bothered.
A mate of mine got a ticket yesterday he only went to two games Barcelona and Woolwich. Leaves a bad taste is all.

I agree with you 90% on this. The first game is a one off, the club could have said we are going to reward the members who have gained the most loyalty points by attending Wembley matches this season.
We only had 29,000 v Watford and 2,500 of them were Watford. I'd say 20k season ticket holders and the rest members?
People moaned about access to tickets, at Wembley plenty of access yet many couldn't be bothered.
A mate of mine got a ticket yesterday he only went to two games Barcelona and Woolwich. Leaves a bad taste is all.
You do that and people with more loyalty points total would be just as pissed "I have been going for 30 years, when we were shit, they go for one year" etc

I genuinely think that getting tickets for that will be much easier as the novelty of going to the first game will have subsided. The City game however I envisage will be just as manic

Huddersfield is the first weekend match though. And the first in daylight and with a sensible KO time.

Last edited:
You do that and people with more loyalty points total would be just as pissed "I have been going for 30 years, when we were shit, they go for one year" etc
True, the palace fixture is one of this seasons fixtures, that's why I mentioned points gained at home fixtures this season as I believe that would have been the fairest way.
I've been going 50 years My mate has got a ticket yet has only gone to one league game this term.
It's hard to please everyone I know, but the current system of pot luck isn't great is it!

Disappointed like everyone else that I didn't get a ticket but gotta be positive- the stadium will be there for 100 odd years and there will be plenty of opportunities.

Well done to everyone who got one and enjoy the day.

...maybe me being nice will tempt someone whose got a spare ticket into giving me one :allitongue:?

The first game is a one off, the club could have said we are going to reward the members who have gained the most loyalty points by attending Wembley matches this season.
We only had 29,000 v Watford
and 2,500 of them were Watford. I'd say 20k season ticket holders and the rest members?
Agree!
Let's face it, if this midweek Palace game WAS still being played at Wembley, we'd have been lucky to get 25k...

I'd say anyone who went to the 2 or 3 lowest attended matches at Wembley (ie: not a glory Hunting glamour tie fan) should've had first dibs for next week...

Last edited:
...maybe me being nice will tempt someone whose got a spare ticket into giving me one :allitongue:?

Join the queue like the rest of us!!

$

Disappointed like everyone else that I didn't get a ticket but gotta be positive- the stadium will be there for 100 odd years and there will be plenty of opportunities.

Well done to everyone who got one and enjoy the day.?
I think it's exactly this... anyone who got a ticket especially for this game, and has little or no intention of going to many more needs to look at the real reasons why they're going...

Is it just to 'say they were there' and get a few extra 'likes' on their Instatwat page with all the selfies they're gonna take mid-match...

...or, like many of us who weren't 'lucky' enough to get a ticket, but who have been going for years and years and years, would the appeal of going not stretch just to the day itself, but what it would have meant to have been there on the very day that the very ground we had been to so many hundreds (or thousands) of times before, finally is reborn...?

They say you make your own luck...
I'd have thought that going to matches for nigh on 40 years (Many of which, BELIEVE ME I didn't feel like going... especially during the 'fallow years' when you knew the outcome before you'd even set foot in the stadium...) but like many other loyal fans, we went... week in, week out... surely you could expect THAT to generate a BIT of luck when it comes to securing a ticket for what is, essentially a 'one off' and very special occasion...?

...it's SO much more than just a day out.

Last edited:
They don't want a closed shop - its by design. Loyalty points have always been for cups and away games, brining it in for home is not a good idea for me, how are you going to bring the next lot of match going Spurs fans through if they cant get tickets. The age of the match going fan is already shooting up and (generalization I know ) younger fans are vital for the atmosphere.

I understand that, but for at least for this match it should have been on a loyalty basis. For others I agree, even though the queuing system needs to be improved greatly.

Agree!
Let's face it, if this midweek Palace game WAS still being played at Wembley, we'd have been lucky to get 25k...

I'd say anyone who went to the 2 or 3 lowest attended matches at Wembley (ie: not a glory Hunting glamour tie fan) should've had first dibs for next week...
Last time I was a member was 97/98 season (have been a ST holder since then). The free-for-all ticket system for members worked back then, because anyone could get tickets for any game. Even the games that sold out, like home vs the scum, if you tried to get tickets on the first day you could get them; they would only get sold out closer to the game.

But with the fanbase and demand we have now, it should be done on a LP system.

Chris Cowlin has said in his latest video that we needed an attendance of at least 27,000 last Sunday. We also need an attendance of at least 45,000 this Saturday. That can't be right can it?

Back
Top Bottom