The Non League Football Thread ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's really sad, I remember going to Kingsmeadow in the 90's and early 2000's with Chesham, a really nice ground and an set up but when you lose your ground in non-league, it's a killer.

On a slightly more upbeat note my Chesham season has been good, winning against Walton & Hersham, this being the 8th consecutive league win at home leaving us 4 points clear at the top of the Southern Premier (same league level, different region as Kingstonian).

Unfortunately the club doesn't do media quite so well as W&H but there are even highlights for yesterday...

View: https://youtu.be/gC0sE3yzym4?si=X1HVkACOtjlocOhM

W&H is another club close to me. In fairness, their board (college and uni mates) have done an excellent job promoting the club and engaging a broader, younger audience in non league. Crowds when I first moved to the area were around 50 old depressed men; now it’s ten times that and in the thousands for big games. It’s hard work at that level but you need an energetic and innovative board if you’ve got any chance of success.

It's really sad, I remember going to Kingsmeadow in the 90's and early 2000's with Chesham, a really nice ground and an set up but when you lose your ground in non-league, it's a killer.

On a slightly more upbeat note my Chesham season has been good, winning against Walton & Hersham, this being the 8th consecutive league win at home leaving us 4 points clear at the top of the Southern Premier (same league level, different region as Kingstonian).

Unfortunately the club doesn't do media quite so well as W&H but there are even highlights for yesterday...

View: https://youtu.be/gC0sE3yzym4?si=X1HVkACOtjlocOhM

I remember Mark Lawrenson turning out for you in the early 90s.

I remember Mark Lawrenson turning out for you in the early 90s.
We had 2 defenders who were a lot better than him, ex-pros in non league are rarely good, we had Bruce Grobelaar for a few games, awful!!

That said I remember seeing Graham Roberts play for Enfield, dirty player but a great defender in fairness.

W&H is another club close to me. In fairness, their board (college and uni mates) have done an excellent job promoting the club and engaging a broader, younger audience in non league. Crowds when I first moved to the area were around 50 old depressed men; now it’s ten times that and in the thousands for big games. It’s hard work at that level but you need an energetic and innovative board if you’ve got any chance of success.

The story is 7 guys, all about 19 years old took over the club and I think they're all still involved, it does seem a bit more viable as the ground is a managed hub, so the maintenance costs and overheads are fairly manageable.

They certainly have very strong social media presence, they video all their games and try to do things that are different for non league, it's refreshing though, a lot of non league clubs are ran by retired business people, who have a bit of spare cash to keep the wheels oiled.

Chesham is one of those clubs reliant on old money, Alex Horne has done a lot of work to promote the club but no bankrolling (which is good, you don't want to become reliant on one benefactor, they eventually die or can't maintain the funding) though the Taskmaster sponsorship has helped them shift 1200 kits this season which is easily an all time record for the club.

The story is 7 guys, all about 19 years old took over the club and I think they're all still involved, it does seem a bit more viable as the ground is a managed hub, so the maintenance costs and overheads are fairly manageable.

They certainly have very strong social media presence, they video all their games and try to do things that are different for non league, it's refreshing though, a lot of non league clubs are ran by retired business people, who have a bit of spare cash to keep the wheels oiled.

Chesham is one of those clubs reliant on old money, Alex Horne has done a lot of work to promote the club but no bankrolling (which is good, you don't want to become reliant on one benefactor, they eventually die or can't maintain the funding) though the Taskmaster sponsorship has helped them shift 1200 kits this season which is easily an all time record for the club.
I guess it’s capitalising on any local opportunity you have - celebrity being a good one. With the PL becoming more and more of a stale, plastic experience, hopefully non league and lower leagues can thrive for those wanting a more interesting and authentic match day experience.

I guess it’s capitalising on any local opportunity you have - celebrity being a good one. With the PL becoming more and more of a stale, plastic experience, hopefully non league and lower leagues can thrive for those wanting a more interesting and authentic match day experience.

You need to differentiate yourself, a lot of clubs do think outside the box, having bars inside the ground so you can buy a beer and watch the game, for a decent price, yesterday they were selling Rebellion Ale at £4 a pint and it was honestly the best pint I'd drank all year, incidentally had a horrible Neck Oil experience on Friday in the South Stand, so bad the Bar Supervisor had to sort me a refund for £13!!

Also I've seen a lot of non league engagement with Football Scran where some of the grounds are offering some great food offerings, it is about trying to be different, with smaller batch cooking there's some cracking choices now.

But it starts with playing entertaining football and a good cup run will help no end at getting new feet through the turnstiles.

You need to differentiate yourself, a lot of clubs do think outside the box, having bars inside the ground so you can buy a beer and watch the game, for a decent price, yesterday they were selling Rebellion Ale at £4 a pint and it was honestly the best pint I'd drank all year, incidentally had a horrible Neck Oil experience on Friday in the South Stand, so bad the Bar Supervisor had to sort me a refund for £13!!

Also I've seen a lot of non league engagement with Football Scran where some of the grounds are offering some great food offerings, it is about trying to be different, with smaller batch cooking there's some cracking choices now.

But it starts with playing entertaining football and a good cup run will help no end at getting new feet through the turnstiles.
Indeed. And the latter provides much needed cash.

Sad to say that my old club Kingstonian are in desperate straits.
Bottom of the Isthmian Premier and homeless since Abramovich slung us out of Kingsmeadow for his women's team a few years ago.
There doesn't seem to be any one interested in investing in the club, let alone funding a new ground.
Terribly, terribly sad.
Been to Kingstonian quite a few times over the years with Wealdstone. Always found the fans to be a decent bunch, unusual when stones travel in or around London.

Hopefully somebody can come along with a few quid to help them.

Six goals (3 apiece) and 2 Wealdstone red cards in Noble's first game in the Stones hotseat.

Away to those Barnet wankers on Saturday.

tumbleweed GIF

I see that SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs ' beloved Wealdstone had a match postponed against Altrincham because they are in the 5th round of the Trophy at home against Hendon. That game is now off due to a waterlogged pitch. Wealdstone causing havok wherever they go!

:wansum:

I see that SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs ' beloved Wealdstone had a match postponed against Altrincham because they are in the 5th round of the Trophy at home against Hendon. That game is now off due to a waterlogged pitch. Wealdstone causing havok wherever they go!

:wansum:
Fucking tinpot club mate. It's shocking, the board are full of bullshit and bluster, while some of the fans are starting to stay away due to the way it's being run.

8th (I think) home game this season called off due to the pitch, I had just ordered a pint in the clubhouse at the Southend home game when it was called off. There were a lot of Southend fans rightly pissed off that evening.

Back
Top Bottom