The perfect storm is coming

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Smoked Salmon said:
tricky said:
All it means is yet another 'transitional season' of tweaking. If anything I think Harry's buys in Jan have shown Levy to reign in the purse strings on players unless he wants them.
I always assumed that the January lack of activity was more about Lecy not wanted to spent January inflated prices and waiting to see what happened with Redknapp and the England job.
To an extent I agree, but that also serves to remind who is in charge ultimately of departures.

Hence the squad will only be broken up if levy allows it to be, not because Harry told a tabloid that Bale likes to visit his mum so won't be going anywhere.

If we finish top four it will be very difficult for Levy to sack Redknapp. He will have achieved two top four finishes, further more, that is on a relative tight budget over the past two seasons. Whether or not that pleases us becomes rather moot when the facts remain he would have given Levy what he wants...more money in, less money out.

If Redknapp had maintained our formation and shut his pie hole a little more, even if we had capitulated I wouldn't have been quite so keen on him leaving but it is almost completely due to his tinkering with formation but not players that we are in this position...I can't say I blame the FA for choosing Hodgson.

All of this is meaningless jibber jabber. Anyone here with inside knowledge that the stadium will not move ahead without CL? No? Ok then.

It might take longer, but it will still happen. The plans have been in motion for a number of years already and there have been land acquisitions and Haringey/London approvals to finish. There is still a long way to go, regardless of what place we finish in this season, but it will still happen eventually.

Contrary to what everyone will tell you, a new stadium is not our savior. It will allow us more income, but how that income figures into trying to win trophies is obviously yet to be determined. There are lots of variables. I've got trust in Levy to at least be shrewd when it comes to how much the club is gonna spend on the thing, which is probably why the process is going to drag on for a while.

pallmallpunch said:
All of this is meaningless jibber jabber. Anyone here with inside knowledge that the stadium will not move ahead without CL? No? Ok then.

It might take longer, but it will still happen. The plans have been in motion for a number of years already and there have been land acquisitions and Haringey/London approvals to finish. There is still a long way to go, regardless of what place we finish in this season, but it will still happen eventually.

Contrary to what everyone will tell you, a new stadium is not our savior. It will allow us more income, but how that income figures into trying to win trophies is obviously yet to be determined. There are lots of variables. I've got trust in Levy to at least be shrewd when it comes to how much the club is gonna spend on the thing, which is probably why the process is going to drag on for a while.

I don't think anyone was claiming that they had inside knowledge of the stadium not going ahead. It was first brought up by Tricky but in no way was it 'this is what I know will happen'. The stadium is Daniel Levy's MO; he wants to provide more than CL, he wants to be known as the manager that built our fuck off massive stadium. The idea it will be our saviour might be misplaced but what isn't is the fact that we have close to 35,000 people on the season ticket waiting list and an extra million through the gates 19 times a season is not an insignificant figure. There will be a process whereby we'll have to account for all this, in fact I suppose we already are given we haven't spent very much since Berbatov, Bent, Crouch, Palacios, Pav were sold and we had a run in the CL.

pallmallpunch said:

We have also signed a pre-lease with Sainsbury's to take the supermarket, the terms of which are highly favourable to THFC. (A mate works in their estates department and Justin King went a head a did the deal himself against their usual criteria as a favour to the club)

I see no reason to believe that Spurs have not splashed in the transfer market because they are pinching pennies for the stadium.

Levy can be a shrewd businessman without having to be a miser staying up all night worried a hole in his pocket might leave him 50p short when ground breaks on the new WHL.

Spurs are not broke. They are not close to broke.

Assuming it all comes out of the same pot, I feel, insults Levy's abilities as a businessman.

I would be interested to know how much we ploughed into the OS bid - how much it cost us to procure the land around the stadium, how much it has cost us over the years. I wouldn't be foolish enough to think we can't spend anything but I do think it is significant that our spending, when we have been in our best position for years has seemingly been reluctance to pay for the players needed to propel us further.

Éperons said:
I see no reason to believe that Spurs have not splashed in the transfer market because they are pinching pennies for the stadium.

Levy can be a shrewd businessman without having to be a miser staying up all night worried a hole in his pocket might leave him 50p short when ground breaks on the new WHL.

Spurs are not broke. They are not close to broke.

Assuming it all comes out of the same pot, I feel, insults Levy's abilities as a businessman.
I don't think it is a simple 'cause and effect' matter. It is very much a bigger picture thing which only levy will have full view of.

Having said that there are some interlinked aspects of running the club which clearly require certain 'positioning', the timing of the NDP is one, the ownership structure of Spurs is another.

Now this is in no way suggesting the Joe lewis / Enic want or need to realise their asset immediately, but when you look at the governance of managing both asset investment and the club's stadium expansion, it doesn't take too long to realise that maybe holding fire on pushing the button for a year might yet put you in a stronger position were you to engaged in dialogue.

Which is probably why they haven't yet invited contractors to tender for the stadium construction as yet as far as I am aware. And the club is a little woolly to say the least about when the project will start on site.

One of the reasons we probably haven't spent much is wages. We can't afford players on £100k+ a week so we've probably missed out on a few players. I have no problem with this as if we can't afford those wages we shouldn't pay them. People moan that we don't splash out but I want the club to be here for years to come, not be the next Portsmouth

You only have to look down the road to see how a shiny new stadium affects your transfer policy.
Difference is they need CL football we don't. We budget for finishing outside the Top4. I can't see Levy changing the way he thinks, he wants to sell the Club one day at a profit to ENIC and get a nice bonus out of it.

Last annual report showed about 50million debt for buying land etc for the NDP, they valued it around £75m. However you look at it the NDP is already costing us money, which has to be affecting the transfer policy.

Levy is not as short term as Redknapp, he gave him 50m that first transfer window and got Palacios, Defoe, Keane and Corluka. Where are they now?

Back
Top Bottom