The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

that's all folks profile GIF

Tell you what. Next seasons version will be good. Conte + Conte signings in from the start.

Unless Levy Levy's him.

I think it's going to need some perspective and reality.

Unbelievable to have finished 4th and closer to 3rd than we had any reason to believe possible.

The gap to City (with Haaland)and whoever else they buy, and Liverpool is a big one, so bridging that will take a monumental effort.

Then there are 3 or 4 clubs, including the dirty wealth of Newcastle, and that United can't be as bad (but you never know) and It's not easy at all.

We have a nucleus of quality but we need 3 or 4 really good additions..

We shall see.

I think it's going to need some perspective and reality.

Unbelievable to have finished 4th and closer to 3rd than we had any reason to believe possible.

The gap to City (with Haaland)and whoever else they buy, and Liverpool is a big one, so bridging that will take a monumental effort.

Then there are 3 or 4 clubs, including the dirty wealth of Newcastle, and that United can't be as bad (but you never know) and It's not easy at all.

We have a nucleus of quality but we need 3 or 4 really good additions..

We shall see.

I think United will fall flat on their arses next season.
They'll probably spend a fuck ton of money on someone like Jude Bellingham, because he's fashionable right now and he'll be as much as a success as AWB and Sancho. And VDB. And Verane.

We'll be more shrewd. Levy isn't going to sign another TND + big wages and he'd be right to. And Conte is a smart enough coach to know functional players are required. Not flair.

With Nuno in charge, the whole Kane saga, our signings were potential rather than certainties.......who the fuck in the media were gonna pick Spurs to finish the top 4. Of course they picked Utd over Spurs, Arse and West Sham, absolutely made sense.
As dose this I suppose.......................And this is DURING THE SEASON!!

7th best finish in our top flight history:

PWDLFAGDPtsPosPPGPts
11960-6142314711555606612.3187.8
22016-173826848626608622.2686
32017-183823877436387732.0377
41950-5142251078244386012.0276.9
51966-6742248107148235631.9072.4
62012-133821986646207251.8972
72021-2238225116940297141.8771
72018-1938232136739287141.8771
91956-57422212810456485621.8670.6
101962-63422391011162495521.8670.6

Nah obviously not next season, things are a whole lot different now compare to then for Utd and the other clubs including us.
But they are the same players that gave the faith to many that they were a top 4 team in the first place, why not, what's changed?

Is it because they were players bought were just ad-hoc profiles, meaning the team wouldn't function or be a coherent fit as a consequence? This is what has been their issue IMO for a very long time and why when you watch them play they don't look a good side.

I still think that way to many people still look at the name and the money paid for the name rather than the fit and the profile of the player for the team (Bentancur & Kulu are perfect examples of what the opposite is).

Whilst Nuno wasn't an appointment any of us were raving about my comfort blanket about his appointment was that we were no longer managed by the dinosaur. That in itself gave me a more positive vibe for the season than had we still had JM. (It wasn't lost on me however that his appointment was very late in the day, combined with Paratici barely in his position a matter of days and the farce that preceded the recruitment process made it difficult to be genuinely positive).

In theory Utd can always change very quickly because they have the finances to buy themselves out of a hole. All the talk is that Ten Haag will want to have his team set up as a high pressing team, so for this to happen he will look to focus on athletic players who are capable of performing this, so the cost to utd would be to ditch the players that can't perform this. That's likely to include the sale of many players, which will all be low value or loans them out. But they can afford this. As too can they afford to bring new players in.

The difference here is most "normal" clubs to do this takes about 2, 3 or 4 seasons.

Man Utd were gonna get 30 points from the next 10 games after drawing at home to Young Boys 1-1... fucking hell these pundits nowadays 😂
And yet it creates the narratives. The issue I have is that almost all of them are paid as ambassadors by their clubs. It makes them nothing other than cheerleaders.

Look at Martin Keown leading up to the NLD, he wrote (and got paid for it) an article that didn't put a single Spurs player in his combined line-up! He latter got totally found out and conceded he didn't believe or have any conviction that this was what his belief actual was!

they lack credibility, whilst trying to win a PR battle to create good vibes for their clubs, whilst simultaneously putting pressure on their opponents. It's a form of soft power and the media industry is dominated by Woolwich, Utd & Liverpool pundits who have been doing this for decades now.

5th?
Behind United.....big clear out needed at that place. No shortage of dosh and the amount they can spend under FFP as they are a bloody money making machine, but really. I'd be surprised to finish below them.
Ah yes 5th my mistake - post edited.

I agree with you, I'd be shocked to finish below them. Big few months ahead for Levy though.

Back
Top Bottom