The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Based on what I have seen so far across the league, 7th place is the minimum we should be going for. We’ve got a team that can comfortably beat the bottom 10 - that’s what cost us Europe last year, lost at Leicester, draws with Southampton and Everton, lost at home to Bournemouth, drew at West Ham, we missed out by a point.

We look like we can roll those bottom 10 and take close to the 60 points on offer - do that and you need next to fuck all from the others to qualify for Europe and yet we’re capable of taking points in most those other games.

My prediction is 5/6th

There is no way we don’t make top 4 this season. I know that’s bold to say that and it’s early days for us but there’s reasons for it. City will win the league and nobody with half a brain will argue that. Look at everyone else,Chelsea will continue to be the mess they were last year and watching them you don’t see any improvement in them. Utd are soft touches now and you can overrun them especially with their midfield having no legs. Amrabat doesn’t really add to that so when they come up against mobility in there they are fucked. Newcastle punched well above their weight and are getting found out. Woolwich are quite predictable in my eyes and won’t get as many points as last season. Rice makes them stronger in there but havertz hasn’t improved them and an injury to Saka would kill them. Liverpool look stronger than last season and have more legs and energy about them so I think they will be up there. As for the rest Villa are hit and miss and Brighton will be exciting to watch but look far too open.
We were an abomination last season and we weren’t too far away from 4th position points wise. We will concede less and score more in the system that we are playing which ultimately give us more points.
I know it’s early days but there’s nothing in this league from week to week that we should be frightened of. Why can’t we aim high and put a challenge in? We probably won’t win it but we won’t be struggling down in 6th or below.
This is only the start but it excites the fuck out me where we can be in the next few years.

You've gone early and I like that optimism but I think it's too early to call.

The Fulham game might have been a stupidly changed squad but it showed that we have some depth issues beyond the first 11.

We have a maginificent player in Maddison and hopefully once Bentancur is back that will provide cover but below the starting line up we do need to be stronger. Without Maddison starting on Tuesday, we looked very much like the Conte version of Tottenham and we weren't making chances.

If we get lucky with injuries we can be very successful. The fact we're not in Europe and only have the league and FA Cup simplifies our season and takes some risk away from the injury factor.

There are still areas where we're not quite there, Porro is great going forward but he's not a natural defender, Richie still isn't where we need him to be, Kulu hasn't looked quite at home in the new system and yesterday Sonny going central is definitely a reason we won convincingly at Burnley. Those players bed in to the sytem and improve, then we're looking formidible.

Ange ball is new to us but other teams will adapt to our style of play and ask new questions.

Give it 10-15 games, then we'll have a much better idea of how far Ange can take us.

We will make a CB signing in Jan
It looks like the board took a calculated risk to not get a CB since we aren't playing that many games so the chances of injuries is lower. And if an injury happens, as you say we can get one in January.

That being said I still would've preferred it if we got another CB since Postecoglou wanted one and we aren't short for money. It would be a rotation option so it wouldn't be expensive anyway. It also sets the tone for what we can expect under the new manager in terms of him getting what he wants.

I thought Woolwich bossed the game....especially the 1st half....I think ten hag isn't going to be at mu at Christmas.....enter nagelsmann
I only saw the 2nd half. Both teams seemed matched and nervous. The offside goal was kosher IMO.
United's bottle went in the last minutes.

Based off what we've seen so far and considering the players will only get more and more comfortable executing Ange's style of play I'd say 7th would be a massive underachievement.

We should be aiming for Champions League football as a minimum.

City will win the league, Liverpool and Woolwich will likely be up there. Chelsea have barely improved despite the eye-watering money they've spent, nor have United. Newcastle and Brighton are good but below us in terms of quality.

We don't have European football congesting our fixture list and after our second team were dumped out of the Carabao cup, we can throw everything week after week into the league games.

The Woolwich test in a few weeks will give us a good idea of where we really are. Win that and people will really start getting excited.

It looks like the board took a calculated risk to not get a CB since we aren't playing that many games so the chances of injuries is lower. And if an injury happens, as you say we can get one in January.

That being said I still would've preferred it if we got another CB since Postecoglou wanted one and we aren't short for money. It would be a rotation option so it wouldn't be expensive anyway. It also sets the tone for what we can expect under the new manager in terms of him getting what he wants.
Agree but I would much rather took and waited for the right player, then just added out eight choice because we were too disorganised to close a top pick

Based off what we've seen so far and considering the players will only get more and more comfortable executing Ange's style of play I'd say 7th would be a massive underachievement.

We should be aiming for Champions League football as a minimum.

City will win the league, Liverpool and Woolwich will likely be up there. Chelsea have barely improved despite the eye-watering money they've spent, nor have United. Newcastle and Brighton are good but below us in terms of quality.

We don't have European football congesting our fixture list and after our second team were dumped out of the Carabao cup, we can throw everything week after week into the league games.

The Woolwich test in a few weeks will give us a good idea of where we really are. Win that and people will really start getting excited.
Chelsea are going to be much better than what their results so far indicate. Their issue is in front of goal, but that won't last and they'll get it sorted. They're going to be up there too.

Hypothetical question:

If we're in with a shout for the title around March and we have a crucial match right after an FA Cup tie, do we protect our first XI to focus on the league game?

I think I know what most people will say, but throwing it out there for shits and giggles.

Not to mention that in 4 games we have scored 11 goals, despite all the pundits saying we'd struggle to score without Kane.

Too early to look at placings but 10 points out of a possible 12 with in our last match 4 completely new signings starting and Udogie in his debut season suggests something went right in the Transfer Window.
Not just the pundits mate

A good few on here were saying we'd be bottom half/relegation trouble without Kane.

Back
Top Bottom