The Race for the Title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In August. After 1 game.

This is the content I come here for.

HandsomeDefiniteAntelope-size_restricted.gif

Last season finished 4th, kept all players we wanted to keep, but we added these players who are now regularly part of the squad :

1) Perisic (LWB) , a huge upgrade on Reguilon especially in terms of assists.

2) Lenglet (LCB), a great alternative to Davies (something we didn't have last season) offering very good passing forward.

3) Bissouma (CM) Added arguably best CM in PL outside top3. 12 months ago we were very heavily dependent on Hojbjerg and Skipp - now we have 4 very able CM's

4 Richarlison (striker) Added Brazil's first choice centre forward to replace Bergwijn who hardly played last season.

Additionally :

1. We added Kulusevski and Bentancur in January. Both massively improved us in the 2nd half of the season, so having them for a full season is a big improvement.

2. Forster played half PL games last season (including MoTM when Southampton took points off Woolwich. Big improvement on Gollini who never impressed last season

So its undeniable that we've improved the quality and numbers in the squad that finished 4th last season.

Too early to forecast, other than I had no hopes of topping the PL this season. difficult to see past Man City.

However despite playing 3 of our toughest away games against Chelsea, Woolwich and Wham, we are in 3rd place on 20 points after 9 games played.

ATM we are well placed for a top 4 finish - plenty of other teams would like our points, goal difference, manager and players ...... but we have them !

Last edited:
Absolute bollocks

Finishing above the Scum is not a small meaningless victory.

If anything, people have taken finishing above that shit show for granted...... It's only when you trudge to the lane week in week out for years and years and experience always finishing below them, that you actually understand how important it is to finish above the nomads.

I can't believe any Spurs fans would actually say they "couldn't give a shit above finishing above the Scum" except maybe the modern day spoilt fan that doesn't understand what it's all about.
Well yes it is if the comparison is winning trophies, so you should ask yourself what's more important; winning silverware and finally ending this hoodoo we have over this club or winning some banter points against Woolwich fans yaaay

And if the latter is more important to you then I don't know what to say to that apart from you do you :nunothumb:
"You do you"
"Small time thinking"
"Small club mentality"
You do realise that all of these phrases are just bollocks don't you?
At the end of the day its a difference of opinion, I didn't say you were wrong for wanting to finish above Woolwich. I think we all do but you should perhaps try to be a bit more objective with this.
I asked you a question and gave you a comparison and surprise surprise you ignored it, perhaps you should answer this:
And that will give you an insight where I'm coming from. ;)
As for this, perhaps try not to twist my words or remove the context, at no point did I say I couldn't give a shit about finishing above the scum...

I said it's not important to me as long as we achieve our goals and progress as a club.
What do you mean I'm throwing in cups, that's literally been my entire argument all along, please try and keep up.
You posited that originally to Gmspurs Gmspurs
Nothing about cups slim shady. It meant something to Gmspurs Gmspurs to finish above them as it does me….. then you bent your original argument to include cups ….. which becomes a totally different discussion

And don’t try and say it’s included in achieving our goals because it’ll be included in every top 6 clubs aims

You’re entire argument it was not slim
No one is trying to twist anything - the fact you've changed your argument when I disagreed with you is by the bye.

This is what I originally responded to ^^^ and I said sorry but we're going to have to beg to differ.

But no, you couldn't leave it at that so you added your cups argument after this.

Look back up the thread - nothing to do with cups or whatever bollocks you're spouting now.

But as you say "you do you"
^^^^ This

He's changed his argument.

Still, if it means that much to him. He ho.
Didn't realise I have to break things down to you to such a basic level but what do you think 'achieve our goals and progress' means?

Do you think achieving a goal is scoring a goal in a final, Kane becoming top scorer again, the club to announce more NFL matches what else is there to achieve for this football club that we haven't done already?

It's fucking pretty obvious what I meant but you saw the first part of what I wrote and got a boner and reacted to it.

And you still haven't answered the question, but based on your responses we know what the answer is gonna be so no worries 🤦‍♀️
Yeah I’ve already called you out on that mate. It was obvious you were going to use that vague statement to suggest you meant winning …., what a load of cups … the CL. just the FA cup ?

Like I say every top club will set out to win a cup but they’re all contested with a measure of chance involved

Hence why the league is used as the obvious yardstick for assessing progress

I mean how far do you wanna go with it then …. What if Woolwich win the league but we reach final of the CL and finish 4th …. That would be progress… maybe include the league cup That would be a very good season

Yet I’d be sick as a dog

You … you wouldn’t care as you’ve already stated

You can’t use that broad sweeping statement to start claiming you meant we were going to be winning cups …. But of course you know this anyway
Listen Shadytwat - you don't have to break down anything for me as we're done.

To start this whole thing off you quoted me saying

You said you couldn't give a shit about finishing above the Scum if we achieved our goals and I said we'd then have to beg to differ but you couldn't have that could you........ You weren't happy with that, so you had to bang on and on and on and on.

And on........

Being a condescending twat is your MO and it's my fault entirely for responding to you in the first place.
“you do you” makes me think of a bitchy 16 year old drama queen girl.
This is some form of deep level mental gymnastics I didn't think was possible to such a simple question but okay here we are :D, I don't think it's a particularly difficult question to answer by the way but yeah you skipped it, shouldn't come as a surprise because it seems like you have selective reading comprehension anyway.

Yeah every top club will set out to win a trophy but we are Spurs so why are you comparing us to them? Our goal is to win a trophy is it not? Is that not why we hired Conte?

No reaching the final of the CL and finishing 4th would not be progress because that wasn't our aim at the start of the season, our aim is to win something, you're acting like this is news to you.

I think the issue here is your basic level of understanding to such a simple statement, normally if I don't understand something I don't jump to conclusions...
I'm glad the irony isn't lost on you calling me ShadyTwat, I'm sure you can show the rest of the forum how to act like an adult. :gallashmm:

The more you speak the more I think you have basic reading comprehension skills and the more you expose yourself but you know...you do you ;)
And you're still banging on and on and on and on.......

As I said - "condescending twat" but I'll also add "with some kind of superiority complex" if it floats your boat.

No one cares mate - jog on and bore the pants off of someone else.
Yeah of course I'm the only one arguing here....

You think I have some sort of superiority complex through the medium of posting on an internet forum...just think about that for a second here.

You do care because you keep responding in which you're clearly trying to save face from your weak argument, go on through in another personal insult you know you want to..

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!

Why is Arses game against City postponed this week?
Did they pre-book it with a covid outbreak a few weeks ago?
No....... The premier league went out of their way to accommodate them to rearrange their cancelled game with Eindhoven.

Just like they did when our entire squad was out with Covid gainst Rennes......

Oh wait, they didn't...... They actually made it impossible for us.

Can Tottenham win the league? Yes, we can.

Aston Villa came close enough to beating Man City to show that it can be done. Man City have already dropped points. Woolwich got a pasting from Man United. Chelsea got a pasting at Elland Road and lost to Southampton. This season is full of teams upsetting the apple cart. We can do it too.

The game against City can be a real statement of intent if we make it happen. Get the psychological blows in now and it will set the tone for the rest of the season.

Yeah what is going on at West ham, has he tried changing the formation or brought personnel that don't suit the set up.
Maybe as well they have overachieved for the past two years, that with their expectations going up they are struggling to manage and maintain that.
There’s a bunch of different reasons why West Ham are such a mess but the main reason, objectively, is that they’re a bunch of pikey cunts. Pretty sure that’s the reason.

Maybe I’m over simplifying it but haaland took Jesus’s shirt at city and is banging in goals( none of them have been stunners but he is far better than Jesus) ergo Jesus was underperforming at city and is not a great player.

I have used the word” ergo” which surely means my argument is the best of all time.😂

Funny everytime we win so much piss seems to get boiled, it's not sustainable, the style of play is crap etc...

Whilst I prefer my teams to be in the front foot I'm enjoying winning fucking matches, the more you win the more you're likely end up in the top spots and lifting a trophy.

Honestly couldn't give a fuck about finishing above them as long as we achieve our goals and progress, yeah great for bragging rights and Internet points but meaningless for the club.
I think that's where we're going to have to beg to differ.

Finishing above the Scum is massively important to me.

Back
Top Bottom