The Squad Player Thread - Back up options, General Whinging, Super Subs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A thread where everyone can air their controversial opinions on our squad players. Its a squad game. We need quality back up. Players that can come in and deputise in the PL and play in the cups and against lesser European games.

Lots of marmite players in this list. Why dont we keep all our bitching and moaning in a super thread.

Squad player rating

Hart 8 - very good backup keeper
Davies 7 - average
Doherty 7 - early days but looks average
Aurier - 7.5 flashes of brilliance and stupidity in equal measure
Dier - 8 good squad player
Sanchez - 7.5 see Aurier
Rodon - untested
Toby - 7 becoming a liability against pacey oppo. Can just about handle slower aerial based teams
Winks - 5 Awful, sell
Sissoko - 6 not performing. Not creative enough to play with Hojberg.
Lamela - 8 great squad player
Moura - 8 borderline 1st 11 / squad player
Vinicius - 8 looks handy
Bergwijn - 9 good call for first team spot
Bale - 9 as above
Jack Clark 6 - not for me
Dele Alli - 8 great back up, keep

Its a pretty strong second string with the obvious weakness being CB and CM.

Last edited:
A thread where everyone can air their controversial opinions on our squad players. Its a squad game. We need quality back up. Players that can come in and deputise in the PL and play in the cups and against lesser European games.

Lots of marmite players in this list. Why dont we keep all our bitching and moaning in a super thread.

Squad player rating

Davies 7 - average
Sanchez - 7.5 see Aurier
Rodon - untested
Toby - 7 becoming a liability against pacey oppo. Can just about handle slower aerial based teams
Winks - 5 Awful, sell
Vinicius - 8 looks handy
Bale - 9 as above

You think Bale will be a 'squad' player??.....ok.....

How is Toby below Sanchez lmao? He may or may not be a liability against pacy opposition (he wasn't at all against Michail Antonio btw), Sanchez is a liability, period.

Squad player rating

Davies 7 - average
Sanchez - 7.5 see Aurier
Rodon - untested
Winks - 5 Awful, sell
Vinicius - 8 looks handy
Bale - 9 as above

The whole defence apart from Reguilon are squad backups? Also what about Tanganga?

As it stands Alderweireld and Dier are the first choice CBs.

The whole defence apart from Reguilon are squad backups? Also what about Tanganga?

As it stands Alderweireld and Dier are the first choice CBs.
I think Tanganga and Toby should be our staring CBs or Tanganga and Sanchez vs quicker attacks. Dier is the weakest link, always has been - always will be. Nice lad - but not a CB

Squad player rating

Davies 7 - average
Sanchez - 7.5 see Aurier
Rodon - untested
Winks - 5 Awful, sell
Vinicius - 8 looks handy
Bale - 9 as above

Just to be clear - is the rating for their ability or their usefulness as squad players / depth?

I think Tanganga and Toby should be our staring CBs or Tanganga and Sanchez vs quicker attacks. Dier is the weakest link, always has been - always will be. Nice lad - but not a CB

Im hesitant to say we should start Tanganga because he hasnt played enough games. Everyone does well on their debut because its pure adrenaline that gets you through. Week in week out is another story.

Ive never rated Dier at CB, but on current form he is our best CB IMO.

Tanganga is promising but far too raw to be considered first choice. Definitely needs more games this season.

No argument that Dier can and should be improved on, but I'd say he's the best of what we have to go alongside Alderweireld.

another thread to talk about the same thing, created at 2:40 in the morning...

I love the cold turkey for the next game that we all have in this season :dierpochhug:

I'm very happy with most of the squad. Gazza and Gedson we can lose without any problems.
Sanchez is OK for EL games but don't really want to see him play again in the EPL.
I would have been happy to see Lamela and Aurier Ieave in the last window but keep as back up.
Here's the 1st team squad and Academy players involved in pre-season.

PRE-SEASON
1ST TEAMSELECTED ACADEMY
LLORIS HugoAustin, Brandon GK
DOHERTY MattBowden, Jamie Patrick MID
REGUILON SergioCirkin, Dennis LB
ALDERWEIRELD TobyWhite, Harvey LB
HOJBJERG, Pierre-EmileDevine, Alfie CM
SANCHEZ DavinsonScarlett, Dane ST
SON Heung-min
WINKS Harry
BALE Gareth
KANE Harry