The state of our club right now.... Discuss!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

steven-toast.gif

I wouldn't say I've 'had enough' 'cos that would be a knee jerking lie...
I'll ALWAYS be a Spurs fan...

But the disappointment and disillusionment I feel towards OUR club right now is confusing....

We've had it WAY worse, we all know that... but this feels different... it's almost like the 'End of Days' feeling....

"I hate Spurs because I love Spurs" (as the old saying goes!)

Last edited:
Was just thinking we could do with another thread like this. 👍
I know, I know... I just want this to be apart from 'Paritici' and Lloris or Conte, and general performance...

This feels bigger... Bigger even than ENIC!

Have we all collectively done something wrong in a previous life?

I suddenly feel like WE'RE the bad guys!

Lloris will be done for match fixing next

He’s innocent but can’t prove he isn’t throwing them in on purpose
He said something in an interview about "not even being able to do that on purpose" about the first Arse goal...
M'thinks the Llady protesteth too much!

Ok. I’ll play.

It goes without saying that Levy / ENIC are to blame here - systemically and historically. And I’ll point out - just for balance - that unforeseen issues such as COVID and the emergence of oil states and super rich Yanks skewed the sport at crucial times against Spurs. But the list of things going wrong right now are largely (but no solely) can be laid at the feet of Levy:

Conte - wrong coach at the wrong club. Football tactics have passed AC by. His tactics, methods and stubbornness are outdated and clearly flawed. On a personal level we can’t gauge how the loss of 3 close friends have affected him this season. But his heart isn’t in it - it seems from afar. Combine this with the posturing over signing a contract or walking away when things get tough (a constant over his 14months) mean that he is a lame duck who (even if Levy wanted to back - which I doubt) can’t be trusted to stay even after the club lays out hundreds of millions for ‘his type’ of player.

The players - poor recruitment coupled with hanging onto players for too long means Spurs are saddled with too many poor and/or underperforming players. The former - Royal, Sessegnon, Lenglet, Doherty plus all of the loanees. The latter, Lloris, Davies, Dier and for different reasons Son and arguably Kane. Another factor related to Conte (which puts the players once again in a terrible light) is ‘happiness’ with tactics, conditioning etc

Paratici - yes, delivered Kulusevski and Bentancur but is now a lame duck / convict and will have to leave further damaging the club.

Us, the fans - suffering as the butt of so many other fans jibes, memes, piss taking. Paying well over the odds for ST’s and match day tickets. Craving a trophy, any hint of success after years of going ‘so close’ and now tearing ourselves apart on line and I suspect, a La Woolwich in the days of Wenger in/out in the stadium.

The vast majority of the above - barring a couple of points - clearly the fault of ownership / management

But yes, 1882 - as a fan of over 40 years it really does appear that THFC have angered the sporting gods badly and permanently!! I’m a glass half empty kind of bloke in life - and (am not joking) can blame Spurs for this…

I know, I know... I just want this to be apart from 'Paritici' and Lloris or Conte, and general performance...

This feels bigger... Bigger even than ENIC!

Have we all collectively done something wrong in a previous life?

I suddenly feel like WE'RE the bad guys!
Your expectations are higher mate. So the disappointment is greater. Pretty natural and not much you can do about that.

Your expectations are higher mate. So the disappointment is greater. Pretty natural and not much you can do about that.
Believe me, my expectations are at an all time LOW!

avoiding relegation would be a bonus right now!

It feels like we're at rock bottom... Only a few years after being at the pinnacle...

That's a fall from grace on a par with ANYTHING a shamed Royal or TV Personality can match!

Ok. I’ll play.

It goes without saying that Levy / ENIC are to blame here - systemically and historically. And I’ll point out - just for balance - that unforeseen issues such as COVID and the emergence of oil states and super rich Yanks skewed the sport at crucial times against Spurs. But the list of things going wrong right now are largely (but no solely) can be laid at the feet of Levy:

Conte - wrong coach at the wrong club. Football tactics have passed AC by. His tactics, methods and stubbornness are outdated and clearly flawed. On a personal level we can’t gauge how the loss of 3 close friends have affected him this season. But his heart isn’t in it - it seems from afar. Combine this with the posturing over signing a contract or walking away when things get tough (a constant over his 14months) mean that he is a lame duck who (even if Levy wanted to back - which I doubt) can’t be trusted to stay even after the club lays out hundreds of millions for ‘his type’ of player.

The players - poor recruitment coupled with hanging onto players for too long means Spurs are saddled with too many poor and/or underperforming players. The former - Royal, Sessegnon, Lenglet, Doherty plus all of the loanees. The latter, Lloris, Davies, Dier and for different reasons Son and arguably Kane. Another factor related to Conte (which puts the players once again in a terrible light) is ‘happiness’ with tactics, conditioning etc

Paratici - yes, delivered Kulusevski and Bentancur but is now a lame duck / convict and will have to leave further damaging the club.

Us, the fans - suffering as the butt of so many other fans jibes, memes, piss taking. Paying well over the odds for ST’s and match day tickets. Craving a trophy, any hint of success after years of going ‘so close’ and now tearing ourselves apart on line and I suspect, a La Woolwich in the days of Wenger in/out in the stadium.

The vast majority of the above - barring a couple of points - clearly the fault of ownership / management

But yes, 1882 - as a fan of over 40 years it really does appear that THFC have angered the sporting gods badly and permanently!! I’m a glass half empty kind of bloke in life - and (am not joking) can blame Spurs for this…
The irony that "When the going gets tough" is playing on the radio right now, hasn't been lost on me!

See I'm totally fucked off with the state of this season but to suggest this is a little dramatic, no?
Fair enough...
We're 'only' 14 points off Top spot...
...and a MASSIVE 18 points off bottom....

But I see your point, both outcomes (winning the league and going down) are equally as unlikely, if not virtually impossible!

But that just screams of mid-table mediocrity to me!!

In a bad place.

No leadership is the overarching feeling, from Levy through to Conte and on the pitch.

If we are taking time to consider best next steps I am all for it.

We need to reset. What looked at the end of last season as quite positive and a summer of bolstering has not gone the way I thought likely.

So we need calmness and clarity of thinking or it will get much worse.

I just apologised to my boy , the poor sod. I didn’t pressure him to become spurs but I feel guilty
😂 - same here. I’ve got two boys. Youngest plays but couldn’t care less about professional football. The eldest thought, oh god. I feel really guilty! Like you I didn’t pressurise. I even took him to games all around London (Fulham, Palace, Millwall, Wimbledon etc - I’m south London) and encouraged him to make his own mind up but he chose Spurs

Ok. I’ll play.

Great Post!
Thanks very much!

You describe impressively how it is a longtime Spurs fan!
I can't compete with you guys but now I also think that Antonio Conte doesn't fit in with Tottenham Hotspur FC.
This is because, in my opinion, the same mistakes are made again and again.

Apparently we are too predictable?!
Maybe it will take a lot of patience but you should approach a rebuilding of our team.
Young, talented, hungry players who want to show themselves, who are aware of the jersey they are wearing.

A trainer who brings in new ideas, systems - can also change during the game - who you can see on the sidelines that he knows his trade and always wants the best.

OT: Today we're playing against the bottom of the table in Frankfurt. In his press conference, the coach said it doesn't matter to me whether FC Schalke 04 is first, sixth or last in the table. We can't influence how they want to perform, we can only influence that we want to give 100% in every (!) game and win the game.

That's the way I mean it!

Tottenham Hotspur has a name for me and certainly for many, many others in Germany!
This ain't some club like... like...

Tottenham Hotspur is something!

And so I hope that a rebuild (blood, sweat and tears) will begin and take us further.

I wish you a great weekend!

He still made the right choice, my lad is nearly 18 and has just gone out with his spurs beanie on, let others take the piss, spurs is his club and he's proud of that and it will never change

I just apologised to my boy , the poor sod. I didn’t pressure him to become spurs but I feel guilty
Luckily, (and probably thanks to my weekly post match rantings coming back from a game) my son fucking HATES football...

It's the greatest gift I could've given him!

He'll thank me when he's older!!!!

Back
Top Bottom